Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bestemusa.com and search for the Yamaha venture luggage rack. Cobra also makes on specifically for the Voyager.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have an HD rack on mine and it fits just fine. I use a Tour Master rack bag on it when touring.

·
Registered
171 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
I have the Yamaha rack on mine. Looks and works like it was made for the Voyager. As for the 10lbs weight limit, they all say that. I think the side bags have a similar weight limit. I put a 20lbs bag on my rack when on long trips, and the side bags have more than 10lbs in them ALL the time. I believe the weight limits have more to do with keeping the lawyers happy than anything else.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yamaha Rack

I too went with the yamaha rack and went the 1.5" star washers for added support as the top is ABS and not fiberglass. Two trips - lots more than 10lbs and no problems.

Safe rides!
Bob

·
Registered
439 Posts
Rack

I also have the V star rack, love it no problems been on the bike for 3yrs. I found if you remove that sticker you can carrie more than 10 lbs...:D

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I am using a showchrome rack with the matching rack bag. I do not recommend it unless you put the taller passenger backrest on the bike. I carry our frogg toggs and the bike cover in the bag with some snacks and other small items in the pockets. 40,000 miles and no issues.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Got a generic rack from ebay.... 20 bucks..... looks similar to Yamaha rack but no logo... Had the Yamaha rack on my Venture. Why spend that much money??

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Got a generic rack from ebay.... 20 bucks..... looks similar to Yamaha rack but no logo... Had the Yamaha rack on my Venture. Why spend that much money??
How's the chrome holding up? Of course your in a dry climate so it probably isn't as bad as the humid areas of the country.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Chrome is fine... I no longer live in Nevada..... I live in rainy Central Texas where the humidity is a bazillion percent. The Voyager has been here since last May... no rust.... Cant say the same for my steel collection I brought with me. I use 2x2 and 1x1 steel tubing for everything. Even wrapped up in rust preventing plastic wrap it is rusting. I have over 200 pieces of 2x2. All three of my trailers have aged 60 years since bringing them here last July....

But my cheapo rack.... no rust even where I ground it to fit the contour of the box or the two chrome strips I put under it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
HD luggage rack

I have had two Voyagers and have put a standard Harley Davidson trunk rack on both. You have to grind the feet to match the slant of the Voyager trunk. I put painter's tape on the trunk lid so it doesn't get scratched while I am getting the angles right. A recommendation. You can replace the bolts going into the bottom of the rack with ones that have screw heads and get plastic covers for the screw heads. This keeps the bolt heads from scratching whatever is in your trunk. I have traveled at least 20,000 miles with a moderately heavy trunk Saddleman brand bag. I also have a Nelson Rigg bag that fits on the passenger seat. You bolt little clip straps to the front of the trunk. The Nelson Rigg bag clips to those straps. This gives you a tremendous amount of storage space if you are riding solo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We bought the Cobra rack and we are happy with it. Haven't loaded it up yet, but we are going to put it through its paces before we leave for our Tennessee trip next month. It came with pretty wide washers to install under the trunk, but I keep reading about the metal straps underneath to distribute more weight. We plan to put rain gear and other lighter stuff in it so I hope it will be ok!

I would post pictures but I am 99% computer illiterate. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
We bought the Cobra rack and we are happy with it. Haven't loaded it up yet, but we are going to put it through its paces before we leave for our Tennessee trip next month. It came with pretty wide washers to install under the trunk, but I keep reading about the metal straps underneath to distribute more weight. We plan to put rain gear and other lighter stuff in it so I hope it will be ok!

I would post pictures but I am 99% computer illiterate. Sorry.
I put the HD rack on as well only complaint is it sits very low to the lid which can allow pressure/rubbing damage to the lid from anything being carried. When I first used it I strapped wet weather gear and a bike cover to it. Short story is at the end of a 8 hr ride the straps had pushed the gear onto the surface of the trunk lid dulling and scratching it. Didnt really polish put and it has never been the same since. I now put a piece of flat ply or hard plastic under what ever I strap to it.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I installed the Cobra rack on mine last summer, and like others, only use it for the bike cover and rain gear, just keeping it light because of the ABS trunk lid. No complaints.

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
No I haven't and for $150 I probably won't. I'm in the group that went with the Yamaha rack. Like many others I like the support design incorporated in the Yamaha. They have a metal strap that runs from the front mounts to the back mounts on each side. This aids in weight distribution.

The real weight issue is when you have something attached to the rack, bag, cooler, etc. and you open the lid. When that happens the weight of the rack and its load are on the hinges. If you're not careful the lid can either crack or break.

The attached photo shows the straps and the Yamaha logo. It's not too hard to find a sticker or medallion to put over the logo.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts