Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a place to hang 2 helmets when the bike is parked. We like the trunk but that's valuable space when going on a long trip. I'm thinking about attaching 2 d-rings under the trunk. Just something to lock the helmet chinstrap to when the bike is parked. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I need a place to hang 2 helmets when the bike is parked. We like the trunk but that's valuable space when going on a long trip. I'm thinking about attaching 2 d-rings under the trunk. Just something to lock the helmet chinstrap to when the bike is parked. What are your thoughts?

http://www.reda-innovations.com/read-helmet-lock

Saddle up and feel the wind in your Helmet! ATGATT

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've been known to just pushed the buckle end of my helmet strap into the hinge side of the open right-side saddlebag, and then latch and lock the bag. It pretty much prevents it from being easily removed... But I know if someone is determined, they'll force it out.

Looking at Texasnurse's link, I'm wondering if I can sort something out using the small carabiners I've installed into the lid of each of the bags. It couldn't be too hard to have a carabiner inside the bag that I can latch onto the helmet D-rings... Carabiner stays inside the bag, webbing strap hangs outside?

Hmmm... Rainy day project to add to the list.

I quite like the idea of those combination lock carabiners FTW linked us to as well... And less robust versions are available on AliExpress for very, very cheap. Like under 3 bucks a piece?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I use a bicycle cable lock. Can be locked just about anywhere on the bike plus can be used thru the sleeve of my jacket if the panniers are full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I picked up this one on Amazon and mounted to the engine guards on my Nomad, then hang the helmets off of the highway pegs. You can mount them on any 7/8" to 1-1/4" tubing. We use full face helmets and it is a pain in the ass to try to use the built in ones on the saddle bag guards.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WJYMMQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hmm, my 1700 Nomad has lockable helmet hooks on the rear guards. Does the Voyager not have those?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if your bike has this, but on my Vaquero, and if I have to lock my helmet I use either of the the (2) hooks that are under the seat. Unlock the seat pop it off, hang the helmet on either hook and pop the seat back on.

See the attached photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Never thought to look there. Will check first chance I get. Thanks.
I did make a cable that will go thru the sleeve of my jacket and thru my helmet visor and can lock anywhere on the bike. Felt this was the most versatile way to secure them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
One thing I’ve done for a helmet lock is to buy a lock for a revolver handgun - the kind that’s a cable lock style design to go through the barrel from breach to muzzle. Sort of like a miniature bicycle cable lock. I hang my helmet(s) on the mirrors of my Nomad and the revolver cable lock goes around my handlebar behind the rear view mirror and through the chin strap buckle. The Handel grip, brake or clutch lever and mirror are just too big to get the cable lock around them all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
One thing I’ve done for a helmet lock is to buy a lock for a revolver handgun - the kind that’s a cable lock style design to go through the barrel from breach to muzzle. Sort of like a miniature bicycle cable lock. I hang my helmet(s) on the mirrors of my Nomad and the revolver cable lock goes around my handlebar behind the rear view mirror and through the chin strap buckle. The Handel grip, brake or clutch lever and mirror are just too big to get the cable lock around them all.
I bought one of those pistol locks for about $400. It works great as a helmet lock. They even threw in a pistol with it 😆

·
Registered
659 Posts
I've rigged up my own solution. Very short length of 2mm braided rope under the front bolt inside the saddlebags - tied to a small carabiner, so my passenger and I can simply open the saddlebag, clip the helmet buckle into the carabiner, and then close & lock the saddlebag lids over the helmet straps.

No keys or combinations, and as secure against theft as anything else. Our helmets sit nicely on the passenger floorboards, and nowhere near any hot exhausts etc.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts