Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure this is a new issue. 17k miles on the bike, 7k miles on my Michelin Commander IIs, they look good as new. This weekend I noticed that the front end will develop a shake, starting as very mild and quickly ramping up to scary when I remove pressure from the handlebars.

Not really an issue since this was perhaps the second time I've released both grips simultaneously, but I don't like it there. I've found several mentions of a wobble on the 900, but other than to increase air pressure (mine is fine), check for cupping (no cupping) I don't find anything wrong.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I had that same wobble you mention on my 900 and when I changed the tires from the stock tires to Pirelli MT66 and had them rebalanced the wobble was gone and never came back. Not sure if it was the tires or it wasn't balanced right in the first place. Now on my Vaquero I had that same thing happen to me but the tire psi was a little low, I added pressure and it stopped wobbling.

Now if it is your tire is out of balance there is what I think is called tire balancing breads you can put in the tire that keeps your tires balanced as the tire wears down. I personally have never used them but read a lot of positive reviews on it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Dale, Terry is a dealer for the balance beads. I have also read that the steering head bearings should be checked at close to this mileage. I have the same wobble but have not addressed it yet as it is not noticeable as long as there is any hand pressure at all on the bars

·
Registered
851 Posts
Okay, I assumed they were designed to keep your tire balanced at all time. When I went darkside on the rear tire I was gonna order some but the deal said they would balance the tire for me so I went that rout for a sure balance.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Wait a minute.........I am wrong, was thinking I had replaced the front tire and added Dyna beads, was the ct on the rear I had replaced and added the beads. Sorry, retract my last post.
Thats alright! I'm just wondering, I got 7500 miles on m rear ct now and it looks like as good as the day I installed it...how many miles did you get on your ct? Thanks!

·
Registered
292 Posts
I trade bikes every year so I don't know as I haven't worn one completely out yet. Most miles on one so far is 18000-20000 miles. Got 8000 on the one I have now and maybe 1/3 rd gone. As a funny note: the one I have now was on the bike i traded in Dec, part of the deal with the stealer was to remove my CT and put it on my new bike. The funny part is....until faced with the possibility of losing a deal the dealer would not install a CT on a bike for anyone. Lol.....so much for liability risk issues......money first.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Dyna beads

Guys, I got the beads front and rear. They work great. I do although have the front end wobble when I let loose at certain speeds.
My front tire is worn out though. Not cupped, just very thin.
I ordered a new tire last season for the front when I had the car tire installed, but, the place never called and said they had it. So i figured i would just wait till close to spring to get the front replaced. (soon) :) I am sure My wobble is from the worn tire. It still rides smooth as glass at all speeds but will wobble at certain speeds. The altimax is at 5500 miles and good as new.

·
Registered
851 Posts
When I get ready to change my front tire Mike, I think I'm going with Pirelli MT66. I had them on my 900 and the front tire had about 27000 mile on it when I traded it in and it still had enough tread to make at least 3000 more. IMO I think Pirelli makes some of the best tire for a lot cheaper. I can get the front for 82.99 at jakewilson.com I just wish they made the rear MT66 in the size I need for the 1700. If they did I probably wouldn't have gone darkside.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I am running Commander IIs on my 2011 Vaquero and have 15, 000 miles on them and over 30,000 miles on the bike overall. No wobble ever, but a few of the guys here had that problem and changed out the factory steering head stem bearing with a tapered one and the wobble was gone.

Roadie

2011 Vaquero 1700 aka Black Magic
Cobra Tri-Ovals, Thunder Tornado Air Kit, PCv, RacNRay's Throttle Mod

·
BOTM Winner, April 2014
786 Posts
I had Commander II's on my Meany and had a wobble similar to what you describe. I changed front wheel bearings & stem bearings & had the balance checked on the front tire. I'm guessing that I had purchased a bad tire cause as soon as I replaced it the wobble went away. I only got 6K out of that set of Commander II's, what a disappointment...

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
When I get ready to change my front tire Mike, I think I'm going with Pirelli MT66. I had them on my 900 and the front tire had about 27000 mile on it when I traded it in and it still had enough tread to make at least 3000 more. IMO I think Pirelli makes some of the best tire for a lot cheaper. I can get the front for 82.99 at jakewilson.com I just wish they made the rear MT66 in the size I need for the 1700. If they did I probably wouldn't have gone darkside.
Good advice Rod. Thanks for maybe saving Me some Green. I will check out that tire at jakewilson. Lot cheaper than the commander. That was the original plan. Us darksiders are all cheapasses huh. Same reason I went dark and the fact that it sucks when you take a 16 day faction and wear out a MC tire that was new when You left. Laurie and I have done a couple 4000 mile vacations on the bike and numerous over 2000 miles.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I am running Commander IIs on my 2011 Vaquero and have 15, 000 miles on them and over 30,000 miles on the bike overall. No wobble ever, but a few of the guys here had that problem and changed out the factory steering head stem bearing with a tapered one and the wobble was gone.

Roadie

2011 Vaquero 1700 aka Black Magic
Cobra Tri-Ovals, Thunder Tornado Air Kit, PCv, RacNRay's Throttle Mod
Roadie,
Thanks. After i get a new tire if the wobble persist, i will look into the tapered bearings. I may just need to check and retorque the stem nut. Never have touched it and I probably should since I am at 37000 miles. Yea, i will check the stem nut and relube. talked Myself right into that didn't I LOL

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I had Commander II's on my Meany and had a wobble similar to what you describe. I changed front wheel bearings & stem bearings & had the balance checked on the front tire. I'm guessing that I had purchased a bad tire cause as soon as I replaced it the wobble went away. I only got 6K out of that set of Commander II's, what a disappointment...
Hope You called Michelin and asked for a refund. I would.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts