Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So one of my fog lights went out. The forum is full of DIY tips to get these changed easily.

I am interested in putting in these:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-18535-Plasma-Yellow-Bulb/dp/B002IBFUNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437519507&sr=8-1&keywords=PIAA+yellow+plasma+H8[/ame]

Any thoughts? Anyone have these?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
So one of my fog lights went out. The forum is full of DIY tips to get these changed easily.

I am interested in putting in these:
http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-18535-Pla...llow+plasma+H8

Any thoughts? Anyone have these?
Your link doesn't work. I went with LED's, they were H-11. They will work with the H-8 harness.Just make sure the pins in the connector are close together. Just had to work the tangs a little with a dermel. One of the tabs was a little wide. They are 6k, a lot brighter and draw a lot less current. I also went with a LED headlight. Also 6K. All together pulling a whole lot less current. If they don't see me coming then their head is up their a$$.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not interested in LEDs unless someone makes a true plug-n-play kit like they do for my Harley.

Here is the link to the PIAAs again:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-18535-Plasma-Yellow-Bulb/dp/B002IBFUNG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437519507&sr=8-1&keywords=PIAA+yellow+plasma+H8[/ame]

·
Premium Member
177 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They plug in like those and I guess they play? Light up the same. Cheaper in the long run by lasting a lot longer. But I guess to each his own. 'Plug and Play'......WTF?
I am glad you like your LED bulbs.

I will look at what is out there but I am not ready for LEDs unless i am replacing all three.

So I will start with the PIAAs.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
I am glad you like your LED bulbs.

I will look at what is out there but I am not ready for LEDs unless i am replacing all three.

So I will start with the PIAAs.
I would not like these Matt. They will be dull yellow and won't put out the lumens I like. I did silverstars in H11 and also dremeled off 1 tab just a little like the other poster here. They light up the road and ditches extremely well. Hope You are not disappointed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not like these Matt. They will be dull yellow and won't put out the lumens I like. I did silverstars in H11 and also dremeled off 1 tab just a little like the other poster here. They light up the road and ditches extremely well. Hope You are not disappointed.
Why did you put H11s in versus H8 which is the exact replacement?

I didn't think about the dull yellow....I may just go extreme whites.

Also I am not unhappy with the three light set-up. It is plenty bright and throws plenty of light down the road. LEDs are brighter and clearer but do not throw as much light down the road. They go to a certain point and stop. I hated that on my Road Glide.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Why did you put H11s in versus H8 which is the exact replacement?

I didn't think about the dull yellow....I may just go extreme whites.

Also I am not unhappy with the three light set-up. It is plenty bright and throws plenty of light down the road. LEDs are brighter and clearer but do not throw as much light down the road. They go to a certain point and stop. I hated that on my Road Glide.
Matt,
The reason is that Sylvania does not make the silverstar H8 bulb in the color I wanted but they do in the H11. The PIAA bulbs would probably be good if you went with a 5000 or 6000 kelvin color. 6000 is extreme white.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Matt,
The reason is that Sylvania does not make the silverstar H8 bulb in the color I wanted but they do in the H11. The PIAA bulbs would probably be good if you went with a 5000 or 6000 kelvin color. 6000 is extreme white.
My LED bulbs throw a chitt load of light down the road. I can see street signs light up from several hundred yards away. The bulbs were all plug and play. The head light bulb was $28 and took less than 5 minutes to install and the aux bulbs H8 also plug and play were like $20 for the set. My headlight is 6000k as are my aux lights. The Headlight is 3200 lumens which is about 3x times brighter than halogen and last 30,000 hours with no heat and very little current draw. The aux lights are I believe 1800 lumens each. My buddy says he can see me easily even in the day time. Unlike HID they are instant bright, which looks cool when you start the bike at night.

Good luck either way Matt

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
My LED bulbs throw a chitt load of light down the road. I can see street signs light up from several hundred yards away. The bulbs were all plug and play. The head light bulb was $28 and took less than 5 minutes to install and the aux bulbs H8 also plug and play were like $20 for the set. My headlight is 6000k as are my aux lights. The Headlight is 3200 lumens which is about 3x times brighter than halogen and last 30,000 hours with no heat and very little current draw. The aux lights are I believe 1800 lumens each. My buddy says he can see me easily even in the day time. Unlike HID they are instant bright, which looks cool when you start the bike at night.

How did you change the headlight in 5 minutes? I thought you have to take the fairing off...unless there is a secret way I don't know yet!

I guess I will start looking at various LED H8 bulbs. Which brands are the best quality at a decent price?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I went with PIAA extreme white bulbs. Much brighter than the headlight now.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
There's a screw under the front of the headlight chrome. Take that out and the chrome piece comes off.

Then there are 3 bolts (10mm I think) that hold the headlight assembly in. Take those out, unhook the headlight connector, and unlatch the existing bulb. Assembly is in reverse order.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
There's a screw under the front of the headlight chrome. Take that out and the chrome piece comes off.

Then there are 3 bolts (10mm I think) that hold the headlight assembly in. Take those out, unhook the headlight connector, and unlatch the existing bulb. Assembly is in reverse order.
I could have sworn there was another message here that I responded to :surprise:

·
Registered
281 Posts
How did you change the headlight in 5 minutes? I thought you have to take the fairing off...unless there is a secret way I don't know yet!

I guess I will start looking at various LED H8 bulbs. Which brands are the best quality at a decent price?
From the front. You remove the cowel that is on the headlight, single bolt on the bottom near the turn signals, comes off with allen wrench. Then pop off cowel. The headlight is held in by 4 8mm bolts. Remove, whole headlamp bucket pops out. The bulb is right there, unplug remove retainer clip replace bulb, put retainer clip back. Install headlight in reverse. 5 minutes. Imagine if your lamp goes out on the road, they would never make the procedure to remove the entire fairing.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

AH!...thank you. Now I can put the PIAA H4 I have in the headlight.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Do you have a link to the headlight bulb you used? Thanks Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts