Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Voyager Faring Removal

Just wondering if anyone has removed the upper fairing on the voyager and if so, do you think it would be possible to install a 1/2" spacer between all the bolt mounts and the fairing? (or is the outer fairing just a shell that comes off the inner fairing) The reason I'm asking is because I have a set of pivoting 2" risers that I have installed. However they are limited in how far forward I can move the bars because they make contact with the inner fairing when the handlebar is at full stop either side. If I could get the fairing to sit a little farther ahead it would give me more room to adjust forward. If you haven't guessed by now I have pretty long arms :) Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Don't think it would work. Not all bolts are fron to rear you have them from several angles...

You space out one then your spacing out all AND moving away from some of the hole loactions..

Sorry man...

·
Registered
25 Posts
To add to the topic...There are two plastic "guide pins" that are on the bottom of the upper fairing just about even with the headlight on the far right and left of the fairing. They are there to help guide the fairing into its proper fitment. If you space things out I worry that those along with other things, like the windshield, wont fit right.

I have taken the fairings off my bike twice. Once to put in a HD headlight and the other to install a dual port USB charger. I like what you are trying to do, I just don't think its going to work. Sorry man. If you try and it does work please let us know.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's. I think I may have to just be happy where it is now, or possibly tilt it up a bit and not turn the bars as far side to side when parking.....although I don't like that as an option. I did see a vaquero on a forum somewhere that had custom 4 inch risers which were ahead from stock position also....hmm

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
You say pivoting risers, does that mean they are offset at the base? If so, if the offset is toward the fairing turn them around so the offset is toward the tank and rotate the bars forward.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Your best bet would be to shim the mounting point at the frame.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You say pivoting risers, does that mean they are offset at the base? If so, if the offset is toward the fairing turn them around so the offset is toward the tank and rotate the bars forward.
Here is a picture. They pivot top and bottom, just not enough to clear the inner fairing with the bars on a stop to stop turn.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Like you I have a long reach and have my bars rotated forward to where the touch the inner fairing at full lock they have been set this way for 10,000 miles and show no wear. The only time they touch is on the stand so there are no rub marks.

If that is not enough have you considered apes?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Like you I have a long reach and have my bars rotated forward to where the touch the inner fairing at full lock they have been set this way for 10,000 miles and show no wear. The only time they touch is on the stand so there are no rub marks.

If that is not enough have you considered apes?
The handlebars would have to almost be custom made to clear that inner fairing tho. It's easy to get height, but with that height they usually come back too....which is not what I need at all, which I assume you would understand :) I'm gonna keep looking tho. Here is a link to a Vaquero with custom bars that are shaped kinf of how I would want. They come back and then forward again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuMVLo8L1Iw

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don Myers makes some that look great on a Vaquero. They are custom and can be made to order. He sends out a jig for you to measure exactly what you want.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don Myers makes some that look great on a Vaquero. They are custom and can be made to order. He sends out a jig for you to measure exactly what you want.
Hmm, something to ponder....thx

1 - 14 of 14 Posts