Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During a ride last weekend, the engine got noisy. Sounded like a fresh out of the crate bike that has not yet pressured up the hydraulic lash adjusters. The sound did not subside, so ff to the dealer today.

They agreed that it is not right. They did ask me if I had just started the bike up after the winter. I told them that the Voyager is my winter bike.

They will contact Kawasaki sometime this week, and we will see what come of it.

Glad I have other bikes to ride. BTW, somewhere over 50,000 miles on the Voyager.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Ahh man, hope for a speedy outcome.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Very curious to hear the outcome.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Lifter Noise

I'm curious to know what oil you use.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And how often changed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Every 5000 miles.

Are you all trying to figure out whether the oil had anything to do with this or whether your choice of oil and frequency of change will protect you.

Sometimes stuff just happens.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To attribute these things to a specific type/brand of oil and filter is pure speculation, at best, with the low sample size of failures.
Absolutely! Next will be "are you using a k&n air filter that lets more crap in the engine?" "Aftermarket exhaust, intake, fuel programmer?"

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
To attribute these things to a specific type/brand of oil and filter is pure speculation, at best, with the low sample size of failures.
Absolutely! Next will be "are you using a k&n air filter that lets more crap in the engine?" "Aftermarket exhaust, intake, fuel programmer?"
I agree, but sometimes 1+1=20 instead of just 2.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Only in the wild, unfounded assertions of Internet land. ;)

One time a friend of my uncle's son, said a friend of his, heard from his sister, that their dad said his nephew's cousin, read about some people on the internet saying their brother's boss said...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
According to the dealer, it is not uncommon for the HLAs to not pressure up. It is even in the troubleshooting section of the manual.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
According to the dealer, it is not uncommon for the HLAs to not pressure up. It is even in the troubleshooting section of the manual.
Did the dealer suggest a common cause? Something we could be proactively doing to prevent the issue?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the dealer suggest a common cause? Something we could be proactively doing to prevent the issue?
If they determine a cause, and what the actual problem is, I will report that here along with what were the causes they assertained on the previous bikes they serviced.

Sounds like it is normal for the pressure to bleed down if the bike sits unridden for a while, but should pressure back up in short order. Mine happening during a ride is something else.

I am patiently waiting for them to call, but will call tomorrow if I don't hear from them before then.

·
Registered
29 Posts
') Tis true,brother, tis true.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Every 5000 miles.

Are you all trying to figure out whether the oil had anything to do with this or whether your choice of oil and frequency of change will protect you.

Sometimes stuff just happens.
Should have used SeaFoam.:devil:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

LOL!

I had a lifter noise in my truck with 160,000 miles on it. Seafoam in the oil for 100 miles before a change took care of it for 6 months.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Actually, all it would have taken is a single SuperTech oil filter and all of this could have been prevented (about 4/5ths of the people reading this are saying to themselves, "What the heck is a "SuperTech" filter?). ;)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The engine is being pulled this week. The tech said Kawasaki has upgraded parts to replace the HLAs that should do a better job at holding hydraulic pressure.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts