Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello:

New to this site, working though it. Question, i just picked up a 2017 Vulcan Voyager. I am in need of a cover, what do I do about the antenna, apparently I am not able too remove it or bend it out of the way of the cover. Am I over thinking this, is the cover weight on the antenna OK?

Thank you

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I don't know if the antenna could take that stress. The top piece was already broken off mine when I got the bike. It's just ornamental so it does not affect performance. With that top piece gone, I'm afraid I might damage the cover if I tried that.

You can unscrew the antenna, but that may not be the best idea. I've seen a few posts about folks loosing them. Putting some blue loctite on it and letting it dry before screwing it back on (the solvents in loctite will damage the plastic) could help with that. That's what I do (haven't tried the loctite yet). Someone posted here or on another forum that Autozone (?) has a compatible shorty antenna for cheap. Not as good reception, but may be enough for you. I thought I had saved the link somewhere, but I can't find it right now.

I've considered that shorty antenna, or putting a metal grommet in my cover with a smaller rubber grommet (like used for electrical passages) inside that to keep rain out. The antenna could go up thru that hole, or mine can since that top ornament is gone.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,916 Posts
FYI,

You posted this in the "bike of the month" section.

Should have been in the Voyager (1700) section, you would get more responses.

Hopefully MN-Rider will see it and move it for you

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hello:

[...] apparently I am not able too remove it or bend it out of the way of the cover. [...]
Why do you think you're not able to remove the antenna? You should be able to just unscrew it from the antenna base and throw it in your trunk before covering your bike. Unless they've changed the antenna set-up for some reason since 2013, your antenna is removable.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I saw enough posts from Voyager owners saying they lost their antenna on the road somewhere to motivate me to do the dab of Loctite Blue on mine. OEM replacement north of $100.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
I saw enough posts from Voyager owners saying they lost their antenna on the road somewhere to motivate me to do the dab of Loctite Blue on mine. OEM replacement north of $100.
Be sure to let it dry, at least most of the way, before you screw it back in. There are solvents in Loctite that will damage ABS.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts