Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I haven't posted in here in a while. I currently have a Vulcan 900 Classic and am looking to upgrade. I found a 2010 Voyager 1700 I really like, but it is 250 miles away from me (4.5-hour trip one way). It has approximately 23K miles on it. I am willing to travel to it, however, my concern is getting there and then there being issues with the bike. Can anybody tell me anything to look out for with these bikes? Anybody near Green Bay Wisconsin knows of Team Motorsports? They're located in De Pere, WI, and the add does not list any details like mileage etc., which I don't like. The Yelp! reviews are less than stellar too complaining of pushy salesmen. I filled out the contact section on their web page asking for mileage, which made me list a phone number. I put a fake phone number in, but I was kind of put off it was a requirement. Any suggestions about the 1700s in general or the dealership would be helpful. Thank you and ride safe!

Mark

·
Registered
77 Posts
It must a great deal to travel that far out for a Voyager, think of time/travel issues if you have recourse to go back to the dealer for something?
Phone number is only so they can harass you for the enquiry made on line!

Anyway, like any second hand vehicle, good service history is paramount, belt condition, check all electronics work, so for this you will need to take it for a test ride above 35mph to check Cruise Control.

Has it the ABS fitted? The light should go out on the dash after you reach 10mph I believe.
Crash or drop damage?
Saddle bag locks in good working order?
Two keys for the bike?
Fluid levels good? Poor levels suggest it would not have been well looked after.
All recalls completed?

I am sure there are plenty of Voyager specific issues to check for, I bought mine new in 2014 and love it. My dealer is 40 minutes away and that is far enough but I did take the VIP service package so it is picked up every time I need a service or there is a fault (thankfully far and few between - front brake switch, 12V socket, recall for the ignition cables under the tank)

Good hunting.

Russ

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I may just buy a "new" 2015. The main problem I am running into is I don't want to buy brand new and my main reason for "upgrading" is for the comfort reasons. This also extends to my GF and unfortunately she is way more concerned with how the bike looks than me. She really wants a 2010 or a 2016 due to the color combo. I obviously am more concerned with a well running machine that isnt going to break the bank. I may just try and sell my 900 classic and keep looking while I wait for it to sell hoping one comes up that meets both of our standards.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Take your GF to look at a 2015 and she might just fall for it. Pictures don't do it justice for how nice it looks!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Deals to be had, don't travel for that one. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Deals to be had, don't travel for that one. Good luck!
IF anyone remembers,Member on here took 6hr trip to p/u leftover.
Had rust in the tank which led to fuel problems,Makaw fixed it all at no cost to him but missed alot of Ridn season,I love my 1700 and would Recommend it,Just Look it over and ask Questions as stated
Good luck in ur search
btw I, like that 2015 and did talk to that dealer in big bend prior to buying my nomad,Nice guy and answered my questions,found my nomad 104 miles away,No issues so far,Love it,put 5k on:grin2:

·
Registered
279 Posts
I live only five miles north of Team Motorsports, have bought parts from them for my bunch of various bikes. I'm working on installing a frame mounted fairing on my buddies VN900 right now. I've been in motorcycles in Wisconsin for all of my 43 years of riding.

Team Motorsports is a locally owned business, owned by the Van Vreedes family, though I don't know any of the family is really into bikes. But Team has been a leading, big store, multibrand dealer in east central Wisconsin for many years.

If you need some local eyes on the bike, PM me and I'll see what I can do to help.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Andy! I found one closer. It's still a 2 hr ride but it's more what I was looking for 2010 with 21k miles. I may go look at it next week. I looked at some HD Ultra Classics this week and I'm just not impressed. They're nice but everybody has one. And the shaking. There were bolts missing in the tour pack which I'm sure is a result of the vibrations. I really love my 900 and was quite happy to ride away on it. That was my first long trip with the barons pulley installed. World of difference.

https://youtu.be/U8rOj8Vkw7E

·
Registered
214 Posts
Thanks Andy! I found one closer. It's still a 2 hr ride but it's more what I was looking for 2010 with 21k miles. I may go look at it next week. I looked at some HD Ultra Classics this week and I'm just not impressed. They're nice but everybody has one. And the shaking. There were bolts missing in the tour pack which I'm sure is a result of the vibrations. I really love my 900 and was quite happy to ride away on it. That was my first long trip with the barons pulley installed. World of difference.

https://youtu.be/U8rOj8Vkw7E
This one has NO ABS and no KAMS installed !

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
So... Not a big deal with either.....
Given that it's not likely any cheaper without ABS, I think I'd go with at least ABS. KAMS equipped owners say it runs a lot cooler, but ABS can be a life saver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts