Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Voyager Charging Problem

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Bubba in TX 
#1 ·
I have a new 2014 Voyager. Just got back from a weekend trip to Salida Colorado. When i was there after the bike had sat for 2 days i went to start and there wasn't enough power to start. A quick touch from the jumper cables and it was good. Then stopping for gas in Santa Fe the same thing.

When i got home i shut down and it wouldn't start. In the off position the Radio screen stayed lit and kept flashing on and off. WTF? Any thoughts? Is this just a bad battery or a BIGGER issue? Help?

#3 ·
Start simple and check the cables. Next I would go to cycle gear or autozone and have the battery load tested to make sure you don't have a bad cell. It can happen even on a new battery. Ask me how I know. :eek:

#4 ·
To add to what others said. DON'T guess. Get a meter out. Nothing is easier to diagnose than charging system issues, at least at first.

Get your multimeter out, set it to DC Volts. Fire the bike up and see what the voltage is at idle and at 2500 RPM's. I don't have the book in front of me but I think the range, at speed, is 13.5-15v. If it's outside of that range at 2500 RPM's then it's time to get it checked out.

If it is within that range, then it's time to look at the battery. Very possible (and likely) that it's just on it's way out. They don't last forever. But always get the multi-meter out and test for sure. Don't be one of these guys who buys three batteries and a regulator four tires a 5-leaf clover and a Nissan before he finally starts diagnosing the issue and finds out what the real problem is.

#5 ·
This line right here leads me to believe you have a short in the wiring, " In the off position the Radio screen stayed lit and kept flashing on and off. WTF?". If you havent added anything electrical, I would have the dealer fix the issue under warranty. I dont see a bad battery or charging system making the radio, or even the display for it coming on and going off with the ignition off.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#8 ·
Thanks all. We'll so far it seems like the 'NEW' battery the stealer put in was old and/or had a bad cell. So far it seems fine but ill keep an eye out since i'm gearing up for Sturgis here soon. Anyone carry a mini jump starter with them for emergencies?

#9 ·
I carry an antigravity micro start with me . . . Have one in the wife's car and one in my truck as well . . haven't had to use it on the bike, but have used it on other's cars . . . works great!

#10 ·
#11 ·
Charging System Checking

Speaking of Battery Tender leads, I have a set on all my motorcycles, scooters, and power equipment (riding mower and tractor). I made up a set of meter leads to connect to the battery tender plug. Every so often I connect the meter up and go for a ride, and check the system voltage with everything turned on to make sure that the voltage is stable and adequate to keep the battery charged. 14 to 14 1/2 volts is minimum. I can also watch the voltage when starting. It tells me if the battery is losing cranking amp capacity by how far the voltage pulls down when cranking.

#12 ·
Speaking of batter tender leads... instead of paying 15 bucks for one of the battery tender brand leads, you can get the style same leads at any auto parts place in the trailer wiring section for a couple bucks....

I have them on everything that uses 12 volt power, lots of jumpers, test leads, ect....

#13 ·
Noticed the 1st time today, the red light and battery symbol stayed on a few seconds after starting. Did this three times, the 1st time, my trip odometers and mpg meters reset, butt not the 2nd or third times. Got home, after setting about an hour, got the meter out and checked voltage. Key on, not running, got 13.7 volts. Idling shows 14.8-15.0. Shut off with kill switch so head light stayed on and left set for 5 minutes. Checked again and showed 11.7 volts. Started and voltage went up to 14.7 again. Revved to 2k rpm and showed 14.9-15.1 volts. Same reading at 3krpm. Looks like time for a new battery. Anyone have experience with this battery? Seem like a decent one at a decent price. https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/motorcycle/kawasaki/vn1700-voyager/1700cc/2012/cyla20chbsxta

#14 ·
There's only a couple places in the world still smelting lead. Batteries are, roughly, all the same these days. In fact, the 'higher quality' versions with longer warranties are identical to their 'lower quality' versions (bronze, silver, gold. Good, better, best; whatever their marketing uses). You're just paying for a 'warranty'. It's all marketing and accounting. So while I've not used that specific battery, I think you'll be fine. It also appears to be a time that comes with the acid packaged separately, which I like. Because it means the battery won't be stored in a discharged state, allowing the acid to corrode the plates (which is why we keep batteries on tenders; to keep that from happening. Lead acid batteries need to be kept charged).

However, if you don't mind shelling out the wallet, lithium batteries are getting cheaper. They'll last you a very, very long time. In many cases don't need to be on a tender. They are also lighter; though on a Voyager that's less of a concern. Shorai sells one that is $230. It'll last for years and years and only weighs 3 pounds. The principle problem with Lead Acid batteries (of all types, including AGM and sealed batteries) is sulfation, and that doesn't occur with lithium iron batteries. The cells will eventually die but it'll last 2 or 3x as long as a typical lead acid battery.

#15 · (Edited)
Sounds like a bad cell.... When I replace a battery on any of my scoots, I replace them with an Odyssey battery. cost twice as much but it will be the last battery you will buy. I have one over 10 years old on one of my Yamaha's... You will notice that the engine will always turns over faster on starting... When the Voyager battery needs replacing it will get one too.

The odyssey in the Venture I traded in on the Voyager was right at 12 years old. Never gave any problems...

If you are one of those guys that trades in his scoot every couple years... anything will do. If you keep them over 10 years like I do..... then....

#16 ·
Checked out their site and looks like a PC625 is what I need. Price isnt bad either at $128.32. My question for you is do they require a specail charger? I've never kept a tender on this bike and only over last winter on my 800, it sets quite a bit now. The Voyager never sets more than 3-4 days without being ridden, usually daily.

#19 · (Edited)
My question for you is do they require a special charger?
No.. they are just a dry cell type battery, not lithium, a battery tender is all you need if you every need to need a charger. I have had a scoot sit over a year with no tender and it fired right up. I can't think of any other battery to get for normal scoot riding. Forget replacing with a standard battery. When the Craftsman battery quits in my lawn tractor and garage door opener, I will replace with Odyssey if they have one that size....

On my Venture the Odyssey was two inches shorter than the stock battery, I put my alarm system box on top of it.

See design here.
ODYSSEY battery - Design Advantages

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.