Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2012 Voyager is not the ABS model. When I hit the rear brake while riding I hear a buzzing noise from the right side behind me. First I thought it was something with the LED lights on the rear of the trunk, but it doesn't do it when I hit the front brake, so it's not that. I was just wondering if the rear brakes are ABS on it. It only does it when riding fairly fast, not when stopped or at a low speed.

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Am willing to bet its air moving through the holes in the rotor you are hearing. I sometimes hear a hissing noise from my 800 when applying the brakes, for the same reason.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The noise doesn't sound like air through the rotor. It sounds like a relay clicking really fast

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like it may be a problem with the pads vibrating. I'd take them out, clean the dust out, grease where the pistons meet the pads (use grease designed for this purpose) and then see what it does.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I thought all Voyagers after 2011 had ABS? Guess I'm still learning about these Vulcans
ABS was an option from 09-14. It is standard in 15s and up

·
Registered
67 Posts
if it were my bike I would pull the right saddlebag off and look at the rotor for any signs of grooves or scaring on the rotor. or better yet take the caliper off and check the pads for wear. also look for anything that might be loose or hanging down. on my vaquero there is only 2 bolts that hold the saddlebag on the frame.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nearly every bike I've had with a drilled rear disc has made some kind of noise. Hard to describe the sound in words, but here goes. Wizzzzzzzzzz LOL. I chamfered the holes of the rear brake rotor on my last bike and that all but eliminated the noise for a few hundred miles. Sure it came back but that convinced me the noise was caused by the holes in the rotor and it's normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I guess you guys have better hearing than me. not to say that the noise is not there BUT, i wear earplugs when I ride and have cobra slipons also and when im slowing down or comming to a stop all I hear is the pipes burbling and popping so any brake noise the bike might make would have to be louder than the mufflers to hear it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts