Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone upgraded their Voyager speakers or added an amp to the sound system on their 09-11 voyager?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I removed the stock front speakers and installed a set of Boston Acoustics. I got them for about $65. If I had it to do over I would have definately looked at the Hog Tunes speakers as well.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you not like the Boston Acoustics? How do you find speakers that will hold up to the water?

·
Registered
194 Posts
my friend has a 98 lectraglide and did the Hog Tunes and it flat out rocks with an Ipod hooked to it...and thats on an old bike. The Boston Acoustics are good, just want more bass and that's probably just not possible with 5 1/4"speakers.

Most newer speakers have polypropylene speaker cones instead of paper cones. These are waterproof enough. I had an 03 Nomad that I put a HD fairing on with 4 Boston Acoustics speakers. No problems in over 35,000miles- and plenty of rain. Talked to the guy I sold it too recently and it's still going strong. Actual "marine" speakers are made so all the connections will stand up to salt water. Unless you live right near the ocean you don't really need marine speakers (just my opinion)

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm using Infinity 5.25" speakers in my Vaquero. Huge improvement over stock. Think I may add bass blockers to take out anything below 80Hz as they can't effectively reproduce them anyways. I'd be able to turn them up even more.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just received this from Hog Tunes. Pez told me in a follow up email that they will have an amp to add to the system also.

Hey there

Hogtunes WILL have a replacement speaker in January for 09+ Voyager/Vaquero. The speaker will be branded as “Metrix Audio by Hogtunes” We have done real world testing on this new model. The new speaker is a perfect fit, and has the correct electrical connections. Our normal speakers have a chrome tweeter---but since the Voyager grills are fairly see through, we made the cone of the speaker black, as well as the tweeter black.

I guess the only bad news is I will not have them till 1st week January J

Im pretty sure that American Voyager Association will do a review of these in their magazine as well

Does this help?

PEZ

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I reveived an email today from J&M that they will be working on speakers for the Voyager over the winter so we should have a couple of good options this spring.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I put the Infinity speakers in also and they make a big difference. They are a metal mesh so no problem with water and they have adjustable tweeters so I could point them towards the rider position and a crossover connection. I have purchased a Pyle marine amplifier that is small and waterproof but I have not installed it yet. Waiting for the riding weather to get bad because it will be an all day adventure to install.
Stuart

·
Registered
765 Posts
I replaced all four speakers with Polk Audio's and then I installed a Sony amp in the trunk. The stock amplifier in the radio just doesn't have enough power to drive the new speakers plus it has a lot of THD when you crank it up.

The downside is I need to engineer a way to vent the hot air from the trunk. After cranking the audio for a while the amp's thermal limit will kick in.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm using Infinity 5.25" speakers in my Vaquero. Huge improvement over stock. Think I may add bass blockers to take out anything below 80Hz as they can't effectively reproduce them anyways. I'd be able to turn them up even more.
Do any 5.25 speakers fit? Anything in particular I need to look out for? Looking at either of these...

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB521/Polk-Audio-db521.html?tp=97&nvpair=FFBrand|Polk+Audio

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DXI525/Polk-Audio-DXi525.html?tp=97&nvpair=FFBrand|Polk+Audio

Thanks

·
Registered
765 Posts
Yes, the 5.25" will fit. Now, don't expect any real bass out of them, they're just not big enough to reproduce the lower frequencies. My amp has a LPF (low pass filter) to block anything below 80Hz I believe.

·
Registered
439 Posts
:musical-note:

just upgraded to 5.25 Clarions at all 4 corners. sounds cleaner than the stock speakers, Will road test them on the weekend :musical-note:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, the 5.25" will fit. Now, don't expect any real bass out of them, they're just not big enough to reproduce the lower frequencies. My amp has a LPF (low pass filter) to block anything below 80Hz I believe.
+1

Any 5.25" should fit. I also suggest the bass blockers or an amp with high-pass crossover built-in.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Does anyonoe have any pictures of the install or what the speakers look like installed? Also why couldn't you put the amp on the voyager in the area in the shroud above the front vent openings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I do not know what is wrong with my settings but I cannot see any pictures placed into a post. Does anyone have an idea where i may look to see what the issue is?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I do not know what is wrong with my settings but I cannot see any pictures placed into a post. Does anyone have an idea where i may look to see what the issue is?
If you're referring to the image kickice posted, it is hosted on photobucket.com. If your browser security (probably a 3rd-party piece of software) is blocking that site or you otherwise can't access photobucket.com (firewall or DNS resolution issue) that could be why you're not seeing it.

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
sub woofer

I have been looking at the top area of the lowers that is boxed in as a place that sub woofer can be mounted. It looks like maybe they can be mounted so they fir down towards the ground but since they are subwoofers it shouldn't matter. Does that seem reasonable?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts