Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I lightly apply my brakes I get a quick shudder through the bike and then it smooths out telly me it's not a rotor, my Kawasaki dealer says their Vaq does the same thing,,,,,is this true and I have to live with it?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Under the right conditions, mine will do something similar. One of the features of the K-ACT ABS system is that it's an automatic linked braking system. It diverts some braking power to both brakes regardless of which control you use. Under hard braking, you should get the pulsing like you would in a car with ABS.

Mine doesn't do it all the time, but I CAN make it do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm, mines seems to do it all most of the time, I am familiar with the pulse of abs, but luckily haven't had to brake that hard yet,,,,I also ride a 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird with linked brakes (no abs), but no issues there

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I believe the blackbird is a full time linked ABS system where there's a line linking the two. The Kawasaki system is computer controlled and adjusts based on braking power. For example, full braking force on front or rear is effectively full force on both. At low speeds, light pressure is only one; not both. Which is what I believe (just my own guess) causes the shuddering; the actuation of this system as it maneuvers lower braking force at varying speeds. It only happens to me at lower speeds with light braking. And it's very mild.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya, that's kind of my situation, a harder application at higher speeds not really noticeable, more noticeable when pulling up to a stop sign or red light etc.

·
Registered
278 Posts
On my bike I will sometimes feel a slight feedback in the foot brake and/or front brake lever. This only happens once in a while. It is just the brake pedal or lever going further in as the computer applies more braking to the other end.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
My voyager does this once in a while too. Usually if applying with lever then foot brake. Seems it is usually the first couple times i brake just as I start a ride. I believe it is just the system getting adjusted to optimize itself. Usually if i release and re-apply it is gone. As I said it is seldom that it does this . 47,000 miles and she always stops very well. On my second set of pads. Originals are still in the garage as they looked very good when I replaced. Hey, I might need them someday.
Regards
Sir packrat.
Oh, and CJ, the quick shudder happens way faster the the rotor makes a revolution. If it was a rotor it would shudder at all speeds most likely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there a way to disable the ABS to verify if this is correct and essentially put the bike back into regular brake mode?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Possibly by pulling the fuse. Under your seat there are labeled fuses, one is ABS.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Is there a way to disable the ABS to verify if this is correct and essentially put the bike back into regular brake mode?
There might be a fuse or relay that could be pulled to dis-able the ABS system. That is the only option I would think you have. Someone Here on the forum may have had a blown fuse and could verify this.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
If its shuddering enough to shake the fairing, that does not sound right to me. I do get a slight drop in the pedal at times if I apply it 1st then the handle, but never a shudder.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts