Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Voyager 1700 Spark plug change

9K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  TS Tinker 
#1 ·
Hello, Do you have to remove the gas tank to remove the spark plugs on Voyager 1700?

Or is there not a way to do that with tank still on. I have to bring my bike to storage and want to winterize before leaving it which includes removing plugs and fogging, but the place where i will store does not want me doing 1 hour of maintenance on it there. He has people coming and going and does not want people left alone with others bikes, cars etc.....

#3 ·
You definitely need to pull the tank to get access. Removing the tank isn't hard at all. Getting the front spark plug wire off is a bear, though!!

#4 ·
I wouldn't bother fogging the bike if you're only talking a seasonal storage. You have to remove the tank and the plugs are in a deep recess. It is not a HUGE job, but just not worth it (if your storage facility will be pressuring you to hurry the job). The type of spark plugs used on the 1700's don't need very frequent changing.
How about just running some Sta-Bil in the fuel and installing a Battery Tender? That should get you through the winter. Of course, if you're storing it "Long Term", that's a different situation.

#5 ·
Unless you are storing for years fogging is unnecessary. Running in a good fuel stabilizer and disconnecting or puting the battery on a maintenance charger is all that is needed for seasonal storage. Replacing the plugs is also costly and unnecessary.

#6 ·
Modern spark plugs last much longer than those from just a decade ago. I am not sure which 1700 you are referring to but I changed the plugs on an 09 Nomad without removing the tank. It was a wast of time and money. There is a sticky at the top of the 1700 forum that will walk you through removing the tank, the pictures are blurred by the "at the time" recommended source of uploads but you can still make out what to do to remove the tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.