Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys I am trying to stop the death wobble, I been trying to find information on a fork bracer for the vulcan voyager 1700 but I can not find one, does any body know of one that works?or if that will work ,my started after changing the front tire to the MCII reinforce, it have 2onz balance bit but still it wobble,I will be changing the front stem bearing too, I love this machine but it sucks when you put the cruse control and you can not let the handlebar go, :oops:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Why don't you wait until you change the stem bearings? On my 1600 i had the wobble also and it was the bearings but their has been a lot of folks that said it went away with a new front tire. I fork brace might be masking a bigger problem.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Gary, member name gv550, makes an excellent brace at a very good price. PM him.

I agree that changing the steering bearings make a big difference, but the forks on the 1700s have too much flex. I would also recommend Gary's brace and upping the fork oil to a higher weight. Be aware, not all fork oil weigh ratings are equal. See my post here for a link: Fork oil weigh comparison

·
Registered
172 Posts
Superbrace

·
Registered
669 Posts
Superbrace
Just an observation... If you don't own the bike the question is asked of, it's not entirely helpful to offer a one-word opinion like that without being able to back it up with firsthand knowledge. A quick google of "Superbrace" explains why no one in here has ever considered it, or even heard of it... They don't offer one for the Voyager! Only for the little bikes.

Sabre-t has offered the only demonstrated working solution, a brace designed & manufactured by a member here, Garry Van der Eyk, gv550.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings - Let me add a few comments on this post. I'm a 3 Voyager owner, 09, 13 and 14. Had the WOBBLE on all 3. The only thing that fixed it was the All Balls bearings. On my 14 after my first front tire change I started to get the Wobble. I thought - I'll try Garry's Fork Brace. It helped a very small amount but the wobble was still there. Only after the All Balls Bearings did it go away. Now what the fork brace did do was make it more solid when cornering - I love it and recommend it for everyone.

Tires. Front tires make a difference on the wobble. I do not believe the tire makes it wobble but it does Amplify or Mask the wobble. Below is my list of front tires from best to worst for the wobble: OEM Bridgestone, Dunlop American Elite, Shinko 777HD, Metzler 888 and lastly the worst is the Michelin Commader II. Right now I'm running a Dunlop American Elite Rear and a Shinko front. I like that combo. The Dunlop AE I have gotten 15,000 miles to wear bars 3 times in a row now. I'm still waiting on the longevity for the Shinko Front. I chose not to use the Shinko rear due to 7,000 mile reports of tire being bald. Sorry for the tire review but it does have a lot to do with the wobble. Good Luck - Ride Safe.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Just an observation... If you don't own the bike the question is asked of, it's not entirely helpful to offer a one-word opinion like that without being able to back it up with firsthand knowledge. A quick google of "Superbrace" explains why no one in here has ever considered it, or even heard of it... They don't offer one for the Voyager! Only for the little bikes.

Sabre-t has offered the only demonstrated working solution, a brace designed & manufactured by a member here, Garry Van der Eyk, gv550.
Hello Peg,
I answered Irivngs question ", I been trying to find information on a fork bracer for the vulcan voyager 1700 but I can not find one, does any body know of one that works?"
Perhaps you didn't realize that I ride both a Voyager and a Vulcan.The very bottom of my signature shows that indeed I ride a Voyager. Maybe my answer wasn't wordy enough for you but it did answer his question. I have been on this Forum since 2009 and don't offer many posts because many subjects have sufficient responses. The Voyager suffers from numerous causes for this Fork Wobble that often take one or several of the fixes offered out in the Forums to alleviate his issue. I'm truly sorry my short post bothered you so greatly that you found it necessary to respond in the manner that you did. I guess in the future I'll make it a point to post no more.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings Roy - While I'm not going to respond for Peg I'll offer this. Both Peg and I are long time Voyager riders and Forum participants. Back in the day when the Voyager came out there were a select few individuals who would offer VOYAGER ADVISE without ever even seeing one. They were such "dyed in the wool" non Voyager Vulcan riders that they could not believe that the answers for their 1500/1600/V2K were not the same answers for the Voyager. With that said We Voyager riders got a little testy when those not owning one would answer the question to Voyager things and lead people down a lost path. I'm sure he was just having a FlashBack to those days of misinformation.

Now for a fork Brace - send an E-mail to [email protected] and see if he can help you our. This is the Garry who makes the Garry's Fork Brace for the Voyager.

Hope that helps.
Mike

QUOTE="RoyVN900, post: 3053683, member: 1687"]
Hello Peg,
I answered Irivngs question ", I been trying to find information on a fork bracer for the vulcan voyager 1700 but I can not find one, does any body know of one that works?"
Perhaps you didn't realize that I ride both a Voyager and a Vulcan.The very bottom of my signature shows that indeed I ride a Voyager. Maybe my answer wasn't wordy enough for you but it did answer his question. I have been on this Forum since 2009 and don't offer many posts because many subjects have sufficient responses. The Voyager suffers from numerous causes for this Fork Wobble that often take one or several of the fixes offered out in the Forums to alleviate his issue. I'm truly sorry my short post bothered you so greatly that you found it necessary to respond in the manner that you did. I guess in the future I'll make it a point to post no more.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
669 Posts
I'm sorry if my response offended you Roy, but like Mike says - answers to questions offered without actual experience can be misleading at best, and dangerous at worst. If you're in a position to offer your experience with "Superbrace", I'll celebrate that, but if it's fitted to your 900 you need to say that in your review, or the value of that review is diminished. I'll assume you don't have one fitted to your Voyager, since they don't make one for the XII at all... same as they don't make them for our more recent models. If you offered "Superbrace" as an answer to the OP's question, then the answer was moot... They don't make one, so it's an answer that can't be explored.

I'm sure your experience with 900's and Voyager XII's means you have a lot to offer riders of those bikes. So it would be a shame if you decided not to share that experience with those riders in future.

I answered Irving's questions with my own experience of the solution for the wobble in another thread. My own experience is that the wobble is entirely eliminated using All Balls steering head bearings. That's not Mike's experience. He prefers to steer clear of MCII tires on the front altogether. But until I have a similar experience to his, I'll stick with the solution that worked for me... which is on the same bike that Irving is having the issue with. I'll also give the same advice for riders of VN800's, and 1500 Nomads. I had the same issue when I owned both of those bikes, and solved it by fitting All Balls steering head bearings.

The point I'm trying to make, is that perhaps advice might best be given with the benefit of experience, and not opinion?

Hello Peg,

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys I really appreciated the help, no need to argued for this, Peg I understand your answer to Roy, just a little hard on him ? Roy we all need help so do not stop giving it, I really thank you all for you time answering my question:)🤟🍻

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got Garry' brace 🇹🇳and the all ball bearing on the mail , I will change the oil fork to 20w it will be my winter project 🏍

·
Registered
669 Posts
There are better solutions for your forks than simply stiffening them up with heavier weight oil. After trying that in both shocks and forks and not being overly impressed, I had the shocks replaced with aftermarket (Öhlins ... Which only highlighted & exaggerated the short-comings with the forks). So I had the same people who did my shocks take a look at the forks. They fitted Race Tech springs and emulators, with their own special blend of fluid, and the transformation in the ride is what's made this bike a keeper.

I think Garry had the same setup for his forks, but with Works Performance Steel Tracker shocks down the back.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I have done it ,I change the fork oil,It was really dirty I use 20 w synthetic fork oil , change the bearing to all balls bearings it was no hard at all and installed garry's fork brace it was easy to install and the rubber boots it does change the look.I have not have the time to try it and it is very cool out side, I do not do well on cold days,I did install a air compressor for the rear chock with a pressure switch to keep air to 35 psi and a pressure relist valve to be sure it will not go over 45 psi. the pressure changes as you move or load the bike and it works great, before I needed to keep checking the chocks pressure now it does it automatically and I can keep an eye on it just by looking at the Gage,

1 - 15 of 15 Posts