Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Voyager with 18K miles on it. It has suddenly developed an intermittent "knock" that sounds like it's coming from the left side of the engine, behind the chrome circular case cover that's basically below where the seat and gas tank meet.

This is NOT a ping. It's not valve noise or ticking or tapping, which I've experienced. It's sounds like it's inside that case and it's a definite knock. Sometimes, sitting at a light in gear, it sounds almost like rocks rolling around in there. It only happens when the engine is hot. And it's very intermittent, not constant. It happens, then it doesn't happen for another 15 or 20 miles. But it does happen at some point during any trip of 50 miles or more, after the bike has warmed up.

Any ideas?

Here's the "case cover" I'm talking about:

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Your 2013 should still be under factory warranty, I'd definitely suggest taking it in. I believe that's the clutch cover, isn't it? I'd be concerned something in there is loose.

It might be worth checking the bolts on that cover to make sure they are snug (snug, not tight; they don't take much torque and snap off easy). If one is a little loose it could be as simple as that cover rattling.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. The Service Manager called Kawasaki, since he couldn't pinpoint it without taking things apart. They had some ideas of what it might be, but before they authorized taking things apart under warranty, they thought it might be carbon build up. So for now they have me running through a tank of gas with this stuff in it. Keep your fingers crossed. Whatever it is will be covered under warranty. I just don't want my bike in the shop during peak riding season!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I have a really hard time believing you've got carbon build up in the engine with that few miles. I would hope that if you did, they would diagnose why. This isn't 1965, after all. Carbon buildup is still an issue but not that early. Carbon buildup will cause pinging but you said that's not what's going on.

You're running premium gas, too, right? the Vaquero calls for 91+. Running lower than that COULD cause pinging when the engine is hot.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Seafoam would be better. E#very third tank or so I do 4 oz. I was having idle issues and it stopped it. I took it for carbon buildup in the throttle body.

Almost forgot... the couple times I had a good pre ignition "ping" trying to crank it when I am going too slow for the gear I am in, it made a loud knock which sounded like it was coming from the rear cylinder...

BUT..... read this thread both pages...

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173873

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yeah I've noticed the 1700 engine doesn't like to be below 2,000 RPM's. I keep it in the 2k-3k range most of the time. Up a hill I don't let it dip below 2500 RPM's.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I suspect this is just what they recommend to try to save themselves a little money in the long shot instance where carbon buildup might be the problem. I really hope it is, so the bike doesn't have to go in the shop. But I'm not getting my hopes up.

This noise is definitely NOT a ping. It's a clear knock, nothing like a ping. No ticking or tapping or pinging here. It's not valve noise. Entirely different. But I do run 93 octane gas always.

I've put these 18,000 miles on in 15 months, which admittedly is a lot of miles in a short time. But surely this Voyager engine can handle those kind of miles, which have been racked up mostly on the highway at 70 mph.

I should have this tank of gas run through by the weekend. I'll post the results. Keep your fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Took me two tanks before I noticed any improvement of the idle issue, then I still ran two cans at 4oz a tank in about week and a half... 10 tanks I think it was...

·
Registered
580 Posts
That cover you point to is covering your front drive sprocket. It's easy to pop it off and check. Just remove the clutch slave cylinder (loosening the hydraulic line is not required) then the cover. The noise you describe almost sounds like what I get once in a while when it's really hot out. I can hear the odd knock when it's idling and I don't worry too much about it. It's nothing like the upper engine rattling/clunking that my 1500 Classic used to make tho :)

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
They did all that to my bike before authorizing a teardown. Conservative approach. My bike sounds better than new now with the new redesigned parts in the valve train.
Now if the weather would cool off so I could actually ride it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts