Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my recall notice in the mail today for the ignition switch issue. I wont need to take mine is as I fixed that problem three years ago right after I got it when I took the tank off running LED lights. Mine will never chaff.....

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I just wrote you a letter Bubba before I saw your post.
Anyway there's no problem with mine either.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Had mine taken care of Friday. No issues found and they installed the protective cover.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I've been told that in some states, failing to have up-to-date safety recalls can cause issues at the DMV.

It won't HURT anything to have them slap the protective cover on. You also can't legally sell the bike if it has an outstanding recall. (I believe; I know dealers definitely can't). Best case scenario, it saves you future headaches (hounding, DMV issues, etc.). Worst case scenario, you had to leave your bike at the dealer for an hour or two unnecessarily.

One things for sure; they'll be hounding you. Manufacturers don't like open safety recalls.

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Will most dealers take care of the recall even if you didn't buy it there?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Recall

Even though I did not buy my 2012 Voyager at my local dealer (I did buy my old Concours there), they have done some of my maintenance. That included changing the coolant, and at the same time, having a look at the tank wiring. When I got the recall notice, I asked them if their prior inspection counted. They said absolutely not. The recall is very specific on what needed to be looked at and done. In fact, according to the recall, they had to pull the tank and inspect the wiring, and in accordance to what was found, order one of several parts kits. They have now the inspection, and ordered the parts.

Even though there is a little time and effort, but no cost, getting the recall done seems worth it to me, especially if you still are on warranty. If you did have an issue with the tank wiring, that maybe even caused some additional damage, you could have some problems with warranty coverage. I am just about ready to buy the additional three years of warranty, so it seems to be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
recall

I dropped my vaquero off this morning for the recall. they said they were swamped with bikes because of the recall but will try to have it done today or early tommorrow. we only have one kawi dealer here but they sell a lot of bikes and have a good reputation for doing quality work on all makes of bikes.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Will most dealers take care of the recall even if you didn't buy it there?
Yes. A common high-pressure sales tactic is to make you believe you need to buy it from them rather than drive further if you want service; but it's bunk. Most dealers survive on their service department and it's often the bulk of their income. Dealers don't usually love doing warranty or recall work because they are paid a 'flat rate' by the manufacturer that is usually under-estimated (paid for two hours for a four hour job, for example). But, they still make money; and still, the more bikes that show up; the more money that they make. No matter how they whine; it's not some favor they are doing for you; it's their job and they are getting paid for it.

Some dealers aren't "dealers", but any certified Kawasaki dealer that is approved to do warranty work can and will do your recall job.

My local dealer only has a handful of bikes for sale and mostly ATV's and side by sides. But a huge service department. I've bought all of my bikes from a large, high-volume dealer an hour away. Great service and great prices. But there's one 20 minutes away that is an official Kawasaki dealer as well, so that's where I go for warranty or recall work (sometimes; they are painfully slow.)

Oh, and they DO ask me "Did you buy it here" and roll their eyes and say "Well let's see if we can squeeze you in I guess" or some other phrase to make it sound like they are doing me a favor, which annoys me but it isn't a big deal. The last time they asked, I said "I might've if you had one for sale", and they didn't have much of a response to that. 3 or 4 used bikes, a couple new sportbikes and a new 2013 Victory they still haven't sold peppered amongst rows and rows of ATV's, no matter what the sign says, they are an ATV dealer, not a motorcycle dealer.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I got a call this am that my parts arrived. I ordered 2 kits. One for my Voyager (recall vehicle) and the other for my Classic (I'll pay for that one). I thought I'd buy one of the kits as it looked like an effective (and cheap) way to make sure the Classic doesn't have any issues. I'll drop off the Voyager next week....

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I got a call this am that my parts arrived. I ordered 2 kits. One for my Voyager (recall vehicle) and the other for my Classic (I'll pay for that one). I thought I'd buy one of the kits as it looked like an effective (and cheap) way to make sure the Classic doesn't have any issues. I'll drop off the Voyager next week....
Keep your receipts! If the classic gets the recall, you could be reimbursed for the purchase of the kit.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Keep your receipts! If the classic gets the recall, you could be reimbursed for the purchase of the kit.
Totally intend to do that, but the part was less than $6. I may have the dealer do the work and submit a parts and labor request to Kawi just to be on record...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts