Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw on Revzilla here that this Vortex fuel cap fits the Vulcan S. I was going to install a new air filter and Booster plug today, and figured I'd start with the Vortex. It only took 3 screws to install (the stock cap takes 5), and when I removed the tank and flipped it on its side, fuel started to drip out.

Any ideas as to why? I was a tight fit and it was fully closed, but the one thing I did notice is that it doesn't have the little rubber gasket that's underneath the stock cap, and I'm wondering if that's also an issue... and that it just won't work as advertised.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Most reviews seemed pretty positive, so I figured I’d give it a try. Might be one I’m returning in a week or two though.

Any clue what the dummy acres are for? If I return to the stock cap, at least I can fit my RAM mount back in place, which won’t fit with the Vortex. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Why change the fuel filler cap? Was there something wrong with the OEM cap? Does the Vortex gap get you more gas mileage or does it glow in the dark or something? Don't see the need to replace a Fuel filler cap unless the original is defective.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OEM cap was getting sticky, and I was getting annoyed with having to look over the lock to see how much gas was going into the tank so I knew when to stop pumping (I’m not a tall guy). Plus, the Vortex looks cool.

·
Registered
902 Posts
To me, that cap looks gnarly and unfinished. Like somebody forgot to put the top piece on the assembly. The price is nuts and a cap that screws off, that’s separate? No thanks. That thing will end up on the ground more than once, get damaged and end up getting more dirt in your tank.
Give your OEM lock and catch a small squirt of silicone spray, if it’s sticking. Some people also don’t know they have to push down, with the key turned to close the OEM cap and after some time, end up having problems with closing it.
I’d send that back and save yourself a few dollars. JMO.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I just looked at this Vortex V3 gas cap and I thought I was looking at the bottom part but it's actually the top. Damn, that thing is as ugly as night. But then again, each their own. If the OEM gas cap is sticking I would as VulcanHead already mentioned use a good lube or my all time favorite ACF 50 Anti-Corrosion lube. That stuff is amazing and protects from the elements even electronics. It even brought back one of my old rusted scissors back to life. It's a great Lube that protects.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the advice. Far as I’m concerned, I’ve got 30 days to try it out. I did think about the fact that the cap has to go somewhere while I’m fueling, but hadn’t quite figured out where that’d be. I just did those mods yesterday and hope to get a ride in today to test them all out. Been 6 months since I last went out!

·
Registered
902 Posts
At the very least, They should have a tether on the cap. Then at least you wouldn’t have to worry about dropping it, or looking for where you left it while filling up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts