Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to info I saw on this outstanding forum I purchased and installed last week a Signal Dynamics single-LED charging system indicator for my 2008 VN900C. Easy and neat install, looks great.

Here's my question. After riding a few minutes and standing at a traffic light at idle with the brake (light) applied for more than 10 or 15 seconds the indicator LED flashes red and then stays steady red (which apparently means 12 volts or less). Any movement of the throttle above idle, or releasing the brake, gets me a green indication. The battery is always on a tender, and it has never given me any trouble.

Should I be concerned about the regulator, stator, or battery? Thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks to info I saw on this outstanding forum I purchased and installed last week a Signal Dynamics single-LED charging system indicator for my 2008 VN900C. Easy and neat install, looks great.

Here's my question. After riding a few minutes and standing at a traffic light at idle with the brake (light) applied for more than 10 or 15 seconds the indicator LED flashes red and then stays steady red (which apparently means 12 volts or less). Any movement of the throttle above idle, or releasing the brake, gets me a green indication. The battery is always on a tender, and it has never given me any trouble.

Should I be concerned about the regulator, stator, or battery? Thanks.
OK now you get to answer questions.
Did you lower your idle.
A low idle (sound kinda like a harley) is bad. Try increasing the idle until the light stays green. The stator and the oil pump do not like low idle rpm's.
From what you have said the first thing to check is low idle and then go from there.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the idle speed; it was 840 (950 or so is spec). I raised it to 960, let it sit for several minutes with the brake applied, and the indicator light is green. I checked the idle a couple of months ago, but I suppose I need to do it more often.

My stator thanks you, and I thank you.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Happy to be of service.

Can I ask, I have the Kuryakan led meter, individual lights for 8 to 16 volts, does the one you are using have a color or pattern for full charge, on mine the 14 volt lights up when the battery is fully back up, thirteen and 14 are green, 11 12 are amber, and lower is bright red, not good to see red.

Just curious as to how well you like the single bulb setup.

·
Premium Member
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't had the multiple-LED setup, but I definitely like the single-LED for its simplicity; it looks like it was built in to the instrument cluster. The patterning (green for around 14 volts, orange for 12.5-13.5, and red for 12 and below) works, since it alerted me to my low-idle condition, and it's very unobtrusive until it is needed.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
As far as Im aware, most bikes do not reach charging capacity until the rpms are way over idle, my understanding is that the battery is drainng at idle and and does not get charged until well over 2000 rpm,s ... hence the dimming of lights etc.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Is there a "Right" answer?

Too slow an idle is certainly troublesome and the oil pump is rightly a concern.

However I find that my Kury LED Volt indicator tattles on my accessories. Especially out at night, I have the Headlight on, maybe the GPS and the fog lights, brake lights (4) and turns, at idle there is just not enough "idle RPM" to charge the battery. Come up off idle and all is fine (sorry no tach).

That said is there really a true proper idle that anyone can run that charges the battery with all the power draw going on under all conditions? JMHO

I have been known to be "wrong" before. :confused:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Too slow an idle is certainly troublesome and the oil pump is rightly a concern.

However I find that my Kury LED Volt indicator tattles on my accessories. Especially out at night, I have the Headlight on, maybe the GPS and the fog lights, brake lights (4) and turns, at idle there is just not enough "idle RPM" to charge the battery. Come up off idle and all is fine (sorry no tach).

That said is there really a true proper idle that anyone can run that charges the battery with all the power draw going on under all conditions? JMHO

I have been known to be "wrong" before. :confused:
Depends, my Kury, shows full charge at idle (two green lights lite), after the high idle charge stage, and stays full charge. My idle is set at 965, but I do not have a massive overload to begin with. No extra lights(way over surplus ) or HEATED GEAR or any large power drain.
Electronics like, GPS,SPEEDO HEALER, and Fuel module, do not draw large amounts of amps, work in Milla amp range, so they are not an issue.

One thing you can do is change the turn signal and brake light's to LED's and save about 85+ watts. Pricey option but it works great for me.

I think if your idle was set around 2000 rpms you would see charging at all times. How well can you feather that clutch. :rolleyes:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts