Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

It's that time to change my rear tire. Kawi 900 have been around for awhile. Very surprised to find that the only place I can get the original rear Dunlop 180/70-15 is from the OEM!

My local shop says they've been replacing the Dunlop with Pirelli. What have you done? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yes I did, even though the front still had tread, I wanted to get the Dunlop off. The Pirelli tracks much better than the stock, particularly on milled or grooved pavement.

The Pirellis were about $200 for the set.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got the same situation, Still good thread on the front. I can't kick about the wear on the Dunlop. I've got 15,700 miles on them. $200.00 for a set is great. I'm seeing 245.00cnd for the rear Dunlop alone!

·
Registered
451 Posts
I run Pirelli MT66 front and rear. You'll hear opinions from those who've been happy with other brands.

The one thing we all agree on, though, is to ditch the stock Dunlops as soon as you can.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'm in that same boat right now too, 7800 miles, rear tire is about shot. I'm probably gonna go with Metzelers as they have given me great performance in the past.

I would like to go the larger size on the rear to at least partially correct the speedo error... reported to cut the error in about half.

Looking at another thread here it seems the way to go is to change from the rear stock size 180/70-15 to the 170/80-15. Anyone want to confirm this selection for the Classic LT?

I have a group ride and then a riding school class coming up in the next three weeks and I don't want to attend the class (lots of hard cornering!!) on a shoddy tire.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Metzler ME880's front and back. I did back first at 9000mi and front just now at 15000mi. Huge difference from Dunlops.

Tubes are not usually quoted in with new tires. Most shops will tell you if you ask that they do it on a case by case basis. Since this is my first change, I didn't need new tubes. But next time I might.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great information all. MT 66 & ME 880. I'm trying to decide between the two. Locally here the Pirelli set is only $40.00 less then the Metzeler. Any preferences?

Also, from pictures on the manufacturer sites, the side wall brand name inscription shows up white. Is this so or is it all black?

Thanks

Denis

·
Registered
397 Posts
Tire____________170/80-15___180/70-15___200/70-15
Sidewall Height____5.35________4.96________5.51
Section Width_____6.69________7.09________7.87
Overall Diameter___25.71______24.92_______26.02
Circumference_____80.77______78.29_______81.76
Revs per mile_____784.49_____809.27_____774.99

Tire Comparator
Thanks MrClean for posting this detailed info (from this other thread here).

So... I'm looking at Metzelers, but now I'm undecided WHICH new tire size to get. I really should order my new tires this week but now am not sure how to pick between the Marathon 880 170/80-15 and the Marathon XXL 200/70-15 for my rear tire. Cost on the XXL is almost $80 more at Motorcycle Superstore.

I've seen some have installed each one, so they both must work I am just soliciting more feedback on the results. Both new sizes look to reduce the speedo error over the OEM tire size. I like the idea of the wider 200 on back. Handling still okay? Worth the extra $80 for the wider 200? I see many have installed the 170/80-15 and that's what I initially put in my shopping cart, but isn't that actually a skinnier tire than stock?

I do NOT have any special pulleys installed, front or rear. All stock... I just want a different tire size but uncertain how to pick between the two available alternate sizes.

It looks like Motorcycle Superstore indeed has about the best prices around, and with their Preferred Installers program, I found I even have one of their Preferred shops just 7 miles from me (even though it's basically a Yamaha dealer) and I can get them both installed for $100. MS will ship right to the Preferred Installers location so I can just ride it in (and presumably wait for it).

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm about to replace my stock Dunlops with the Pirellis when I get the bike inspected next month.

I had it down to Pirelli vs Metzelers... Everything I read seemed to indicate I couldn't go wrong with either so I went for the less expensive Pirellis...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
MT66 Pirelli

On the MT66 is it all black or does it have white lettering as shown on web sites?

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hi all,

It's that time to change my rear tire. Kawi 900 have been around for awhile. Very surprised to find that the only place I can get the original rear Dunlop 180/70-15 is from the OEM!

My local shop says they've been replacing the Dunlop with Pirelli. What have you done? Suggestions?

Thanks,

Denis
Pirelli MT66 Routes front and rear. I have just over 1000 miles on my new rear tire and just over 800 on the front. Had them replaced just before Memorial Day. The bike handles so much better over all, dry, wet, grooved pavement, smooth surfaces, down pours. These tires are awesome. Seriously, if I had known the difference I would have made the dealer install them when I bought the bike new.

I am looking at a 1600 Nomad and I wanted to go ahead and get Pirellis for it but I was bummed to find out they did not make them in the Nomad's size :mad:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I've got the same situation, Still good thread on the front. I can't kick about the wear on the Dunlop. I've got 15,700 miles on them. $200.00 for a set is great. I'm seeing 245.00cnd for the rear Dunlop alone!
Miles or KM? Seriously if you have close to 16000 miles on your Dunlops that is a testimony and you should talk about how you did that. also your approximate weight.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Miles or KM? Seriously if you have close to 16000 miles on your Dunlops that is a testimony and you should talk about how you did that. also your approximate weight.
That is miles. The front still has over 2 mm of thread and could go another round. I'm not very heavy - 145 lbs. I don't drive aggresively. Always stay within speed limits (not hard to do when the speedo reads low). Don't care for speed and burn outs and hard braking. I do enjoy leaning into corners and do so on all turns. I do a mixture of highway and back roads. I'm usually alone except odd times when I take a long trip. Sometimes I take one of my kids with me but they don't weigh much either. Being from Southwestern Ontario, Canada the weather has stayed relatively cool since I've bought the Vulcan in 2008. Tire pressure is maintained within manual's suggested ratings. In all honesty, I've lacked in checking the thread on a regular basis. It probably required replacement sonner. I have about 1mm of thread now on the rear.

I will be checking the new ones thread wear more aggressively.

I'm swaded over to Pirelli's MT66.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Forestlake--confirmed. I put 170/80 Pirelli on rear of my '07 LT. You'll get 3% improvement from the size, and another 2-3% initially for tread depth difference between worn and new tire.

No performance issues. In fact, since the Pirelli is a much more stable tire, your bike will handle better than it did when new. Really. See posts from others on this thread.

I have no experience with Metzlers or other brands, but the testimonials are all good. A buddy just put Michelin Commanders on his '07 LT, and likes them fine. He has no frame of reference to the Dunlops though, because his tires were shot when he bought the bike, and only rode it a couple of miles before installing new tires.

·
Registered
369 Posts
MB,
Are new tubes usually included with the tires.
If not, should the tubes be repaced when replacing the tire?
no, you have to order the tube seperate, and yes you should replace the tube when replacing the tire, the tube is not that expensive so its a good idea. some people dont replace the tube with a new tire but i wont take the chance of having to pull the back tire off again because of a bad tube

·
Registered
441 Posts
That is miles. The front still has over 2 mm of thread and could go another round. I'm not very heavy - 145 lbs. I don't drive aggresively. Always stay within speed limits (not hard to do when the speedo reads low). Don't care for speed and burn outs and hard braking. I do enjoy leaning into corners and do so on all turns. I do a mixture of highway and back roads. I'm usually alone except odd times when I take a long trip. Sometimes I take one of my kids with me but they don't weigh much either. Being from Southwestern Ontario, Canada the weather has stayed relatively cool since I've bought the Vulcan in 2008. Tire pressure is maintained within manual's suggested ratings. In all honesty, I've lacked in checking the thread on a regular basis. It probably required replacement sooner. I have about 1mm of thread now on the rear.

I will be checking the new ones thread wear more aggressively.

I'm swaded over to Pirelli's MT66.

Hope this helps.
It has helped a little. I also think that most of us that ride 900's are not prone to doing burnouts. You need to know that that you are the exception to the rule because most people are not getting that kind of mileage or even close.

You are going to love the Pirellis

1 - 20 of 43 Posts