Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running Full/blends of Synthetic Oil on there VN900LT?

Has is removed any of the noises? (Chirps, whines, etc...)

Thanks,

Denis

·
Registered
976 Posts
Not really quieting anything down, but a little quiter for me on 20w 50 when I run that. But the tappets are right up there on top just under the tank and they're solid plus you have the reeds for the air induction that we marble, they chatter too. I'm afraid it's just a noisy engine, but be on the lookout for a whine coming from the lower left of the engine where the Stator is.

Oh, and I'm on full synthetic, Mobil1 Vtwin oil. No friction modifiers in it and it's marked for engine, tranmission and clutch on the bottle.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Running Amsoil 10-40. Just posted a 5k mile viscosity report in oils and lubrication forum.

·
Registered
976 Posts
You don't really expect me to go over there and read your report do ya? If it was terrible or fantastic you would have copied a bit of it here OR given us a direct link.

From what I've been told the synthetic breaks down/sheers slower then regular dino but if you change out both at the regular levels you'll be ok either way.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Not really quieting anything down, but a little quiter for me on 20w 50 when I run that. But the tappets are right up there on top just under the tank and they're solid plus you have the reeds for the air induction that we marble, they chatter too. I'm afraid it's just a noisy engine, but be on the lookout for a whine coming from the lower left of the engine where the Stator is.

Oh, and I'm on full synthetic, Mobil1 Vtwin oil. No friction modifiers in it and it's marked for engine, tranmission and clutch on the bottle.
+1 On the noises. The humming/whining that is most pronounced when pulling under load, like say from 40mph in 5th, is coming from the balancer gear in front of the stator on left side. It runs through the engine and the weight is on the right side. It is noisey.

I think oil is less critical in a water cooled engine than an air cooled, but it also is a matter of riding style and climate. There is one dude on here who likes to ride his Vulcan 120mph in 110 degree heat. He needs all the help he can get including an oil cooler. Most of us don't ride that way.

MrClean is absolutely correct, if you do the oil changes with recommended oil, you will never have a problem. MVT is great oil used it for years in HD's, but I am sure Amsoil is as good or better(never used it). Oil brand and whether to use dino/syn is a personal decision for your own peace of mind.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Running Castrol Syntec 10W40. I can't say that it has helped with any of the noises. The little clicks and things are usually not part of the internal engine system anyway. I hear the fuel pump, the air switching valve, the temp sensor that starts the fan spinning, etc. Maybe the problem is that the engine is actually to quiet and is allowing us to hear all the extra little features doing their jobs.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've used:
Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 (mine became noisier with this, both engine and tranny)
Mobil 1 4t 10-40 good oil
Castrol full MC synt good oil
Castrol Evo Synt blend good oil
Castrol Evo regular good oil and better results than the above
Valvoline MC oil was the worst
and now running Rotella 15-40 with the best results ever so far. No engine or tranny noises of any kind. Bike is as smooth as when I took it out of the dealer.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I use Rotella T in both my bikes. The Synth stuff. It has the extra ZDDP that the tappets need to keep from beating themselves to death.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
Spectro full synthetic 10W-40; very happy with it and it's performance. I feel that it has helped in the shifting, especially the occasional un-intended drop into neutral while shifting from first to second.

Really considering moving up to 20W in the summer.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Classtom... the 15w40 Rotella is the petro one right, not the full syn??

I just put the T6 in my Custom and honestly thought it got louder... actually seemed to have trouble shifting into 1st and neutral a couple times or so it seemed.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Belray full synthetic, been around a kazillion years, great for the tranny

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sigh...here ya go, mr clean.

http://http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9516

·
Registered
521 Posts
Running Synthetic in my 900. These bikes just make some noises from what I have read.

I run Syn oil in all my vehicles for the added protection, better base oil and better additive packages

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen your sitting on top of a machine that is forged from metals, now why on earth would you think they would make any noise??? LoL I too worried at first until someone pointed this out to me. I've ridden about every brand out there and they all clang and clatter because the engine is out in the open and you sit on top of it. I realized I either had to get used to it or buy a bicycle.... I got used to it. But having said that and after 20k plus miles of highways and byways without any problems on the 900 I will know if any new sounds arise and will then check them out and maybe worry but for now I'm enjoying the ride and the clicks, clangs and clatters. Just Ride!!!! :)

PS I run Mobil 1 10W 40 Full Synthetic in mine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
hi Denis,
I have used all kinds of oils in the 10w-40 and 20w-50 cat. in the VN900 (~25k miles, 9yrs, temp 50F - >110F).

For me there is no way to conclude that one oil is 'quieter' than the other.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Gentlemen, Gentlemen, Gentlemen your sitting on top of a machine that is forged from metals, now why on earth would you think they would make any noise??? LoL I too worried at first until someone pointed this out to me. I've ridden about every brand out there and they all clang and clatter because the engine is out in the open and you sit on top of it. I realized I either had to get used to it or buy a bicycle.... I got used to it. But having said that and after 20k plus miles of highways and byways without any problems on the 900 I will know if any new sounds arise and will then check them out and maybe worry but for now I'm enjoying the ride and the clicks, clangs and clatters. Just Ride!!!! :)

PS I run Mobil 1 10W 40 Full Synthetic in mine.
What? You left out the spritely melodies of the transmission whine!

WON'T SOMEONE THINK OF THE WHINE??!??!??!111?? :crying2:

·
Registered
521 Posts
If the engine makes too much noise make the exhaust louder!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts