Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone extended the back part of the front fender or know of any such accessory? If you have any pictures that would be great. I'm looking for several inches (3 or so).

Thanks!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Vivadude,

Well done. Looks nice.

How did you fasten that on? I don't see any rivets or screws.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the input...very good. Vivadude, I have the same question as Chas63, how did you mount the mud flap? Also, did it work as intended? Any draw backs?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I used Velcro. It is made of thin leather backed with thin rubber. It is flexible and will not break off easily..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Oh, so you used a layer of leather for the outside and a layer of rubber for the inside which faces the tire. I suppose you cemented and sewed them together. Then you used velcro strips with strong adhesive tape to fasten to the mud flap and to the inside of the fender. Naturally, you cleaned the fender well to remove any dirt/mud before attaching it.

Sounds fine to me and you don't drill any holes in the fender that way. I've had mudflaps which were attached by drilling holes and then using the small, round, red reflector type screws to attach it to the fender.

Nice job.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Oh, so you used a layer of leather for the outside and a layer of rubber for the inside which faces the tire. I suppose you cemented and sewed them together. Then you used velcro strips with strong adhesive tape to fasten to the mud flap and to the inside of the fender. Naturally, you cleaned the fender well to remove any dirt/mud before attaching it.

Sounds fine to me and you don't drill any holes in the fender that way. I've had mudflaps which were attached by drilling holes and then using the small, round, red reflector type screws to attach it to the fender.

Nice job.
Hi, yes I cemented the leather and rubber together with RV adhesive by the makers of the Goop products. The lacing is decorative. Not a fan of making holes even in plastic and when the bike needs a good cleaning I can remove the flap and clean and treat it separately. It has been on for about 1,000 miles and has not loosened a bit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'd buy one too. (Maybe not with the red, just preference)

You may have discovered a new market, if you're up for making them.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Vivadue - has the mud flap been effective in keeping debris off the Radiator, Regulator, etc.. Can you elaborate on the length/size. How far off the ground is it?

Thanks - looks great.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'd buy one too. (Maybe not with the red, just preference)

You may have discovered a new market, if you're up for making them.
Thanks, but I am not the enterpreneur type. Except for the concho and Velcro, I had the rest of the material laying around and assembly was not difficult. Deciding on the shape and making the template took the most time.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Would you be willing to put the template up in real size so it could be recreated?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Vivadue - has the mud flap been effective in keeping debris off the Radiator, Regulator, etc.. Can you elaborate on the length/size. How far off the ground is it?

Thanks - looks great.
The flap extends 4 1/4 inches and is about 6 1/8 from the ground...

·
Registered
111 Posts
If you could scan the paper template you could attach the JPEG or PDF of the scanned file.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I want to make one of these for my 500. I, too, want to avoid drilling holes in the fender. Any suggestions on where to get the velcro? (auto store, fabric store, Wally World, etc) I have everything else. tx................James

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was looking into getting something like this, but, does it dampen any airflow to the radiator? Just curious for you engineers out there.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I want to make one of these for my 500. I, too, want to avoid drilling holes in the fender. Any suggestions on where to get the velcro? (auto store, fabric store, Wally World, etc) I have everything else. tx................James
Pls disregard my question. I found some stuff to use for fasteners.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts