Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I bought a 2010 Vulcan 900 Custom LT two weeks ago. It had about 4700 mile on it. Last week, the drive belt broke! I am in the process of repairing it. Bought a new belt (almost $400 from Kawasaki!) and now the bike is all apart in my garage. Removed the exhaust, rear wheel, and swing arm, and all the attendant covers, etc.

Now need to remove the front pulley, and am having trouble. It spins freely and is torqued to 88 ft-lb. How does one remove this nut? The Clymer manual says there is a Kawasaki tool 57001-1572 (pulley holder) and 57001-1591 (handle) that shops have. I looked around and the holder alone is $402 and nobody has it in stock anyway. Called a few shops and they do not loan or rent out their tools.

How do you guys remove the drive pulley nut?
(This is my first post, and I hope I'm in the right forum!)
Kind regards, Gordon

·
Registered
541 Posts
To loosen your pulley nut, put her in 5th gear, and I use a large strap wrench, like the one below....
Straighten out the lock tab, and use the strap wrench w/long pull handle to loosen nut....I usually hit it with my impact first, just one fast hit or 2, just to see the nut move slightly....

amazon.com/Titan-Tools-21315-Strap-Wrench/dp/B00TU3UNW8/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keyw

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you DragonLady58 for a quick and very help answer. I ordered the tool. This has been driving me nuts, so I really appreciate the help!
GFM

·
Registered
391 Posts
How do you guys remove the drive pulley nut?
(This is my first post, and I hope I'm in the right forum!)
Kind regards, Gordon

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Du-Rron,

Thank you for pointing to your previous post on this. I saw it and looked for the 57001-1572, and the best price i saw was over $240. I can’t justify that cost for a toll I (hopefully) will not need to use again!

I’m glad it worked for you!
Kind regards, Gordon

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Du-Rron,

Thank you for pointing to your previous post on this. I saw it and looked for the 57001-1572, and the best price i saw was over $240. I can’t justify that cost for a toll I (hopefully) will not need to use again!

I’m glad it worked for you!
Kind regards, Gordon
And, I agree. I couldnt afford the cost either. That is why I got a 57001- 1 6 7 2 for $40.00.

·
Registered
287 Posts
And, I agree. I couldnt afford the cost either. That is why I got a 57001- 1 6 7 2 for $40.00.
Just curious why in the advert on ebay they call it a Rotor Tool rather than a pulley tool. Does it serve multiple functions?

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
I used a wooden hammer handle and stuck it through the pulley. One hit with the impact and the nut came right off. Also upon assembly used the hammer handle to hold it when I torqued it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all who responded. I was able to finally remove the nut with an impact wrench while holding the pulley with the strap wrench. Before using the impact wrench, I used my torque wrench and measured 120 ft lb and it did not budge! I did that just to get an idea of how tight it was.

Thanks for all the ideas and help!
Gordon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts