Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
I just received a set of Refined Cycle H2 setback risers with the optional hardware (two bolts, 10mm x 40mm long with 8mm hex head). The RC website has instructions for the HR1, 3, and 4 risers, but none for the HR2. Now, I imagine these are pretty much like Legos, they go between the triple tree and the T-bar struts, with the wide end down, to extend the bars backwards. I just had a few questions before I start unscrewing the bars:

1. Where do the new bolts go? Do the original bolts stay in the triple tree (and mount the risers to it), or do they stay with the bars while the new bolts go through the triple tree into the risers?
  2. What sort of Loctite should I be using? I assume I'm using thread locker, I just don't know which color I should use in this context.
  3. Are there any other gotchas that I should keep an eye out for while I'm at it?
This is for a 900 Custom, mind, the one with the T-shaped drag bars. So while tips that are relevant to Classic and LT bars are appreciated for the sentiment, they won't be of much practical use, unfortunately.

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Go here:

https://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/49-vulcan-900/299844-need-pullback-riser-extensions-900-custom.html

Read posts 12, 13, and 14.

IIRC, the factory bolts go thru the new risers and into the bottom of the factory bars. The "new" riser bolts go thru the triple tree and into the risers...they are the correct length and thread...test fit first.

I used "blue" thread lock on mine...

I cannot stress enough, you have to tighten the risers onto the bottom of the bars before mounting them to the triple tree...and the risers spin around altering the bolt spacing...this was a real PITA, so make a little jig to ensure you have the correct bolt hole spacing on the risers before tightening the risers to bars. You'll see what I mean as you test-fit the parts.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good. For a jig/frame to spot the risers, would a piece of plywood be sufficient? Drill out the spacing for the triple tree, then stake the bolts through it while I tighten the original bolts to the bars?

Unrelated, Vancouver is the most stunningly beautiful city I've ever visited (though Esquimalt/Victoria weren't bad either). Not sure I'd live there, but wonderful to visit.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ya, I used a small piece of hardboard for the jig. You just need to get the riser holes spaced just like the triple tree.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done! Thanks much for the assistance. For the record, you were right, the new bolts go through the triple tree into the 'toes' of the risers, and the 'stock bolts' are actually the bottom of the bars. It would be impossible to put them the wrong way around, but I'd be interested to see if anyone managed that trick. I've got them installed but haven't ridden yet, that said, the pullback feels very good in the garage and the rise is negligible. I want to do some stop-to-stop checking to make sure the hose and cable routing is good before I ride it.

To that point, it looks like the front brake line is cut partway through. The outer part of the front brake hose has a deep, clean cut down through the outer layer. Has this been an accident waiting to happen that I only discovered when I was checking the hose routing?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts