Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well I like both styles. Yes it’s a custom so I’m not looking to retro out the bike like you would with a classic. However I did see somewhere in the forums someone said there was a hypercharger that fits the Vulcan 900 but I’m not seeing one anywhere. Might just have to go with the cobra air box than.
Gotcha, I agree with you.
Yeah, appears only the alley cat is made for the V900...
https://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4998/alley-cat-air-cleaner

·
Registered
24 Posts
It was running fine up until I found a nest in my air box. So I cleaned it all out and used the k&n filter restoration kit to make it like new again. Far cheaper than buying a new filter btw. After that response went way up but after a week or so I did start getting popping and backfires once and awhile. I have been slowly tuning it manually to try to fix the issue. I was assuming it was running lean with the filter cleaned out so I have it more gas in low and mid range revs. Than earlier today I also gave it for gas in the high rev range. The entire ride home from work which is about 40 minutes I didn’t get a single backfire. Some slight popping during decel in 2nd but that doesn’t bother me. Think my settings now are 4-3-1
I believe my bike, with all the auto-tuning magic, runs richer than it needs to. I don't get great mileage, 37-44mpg, with commuting in city traffic. At a stop, if I throttle, I smell that rich gas smell that brings me back to my VW bug/bus days. I don't care about hypermiling; I enjoy feeling and hearing that power (but not in an obnoxious way).

What kind of mileage do you see?

·
Registered
24 Posts
So I've been following the thread and have my Cobra Speedster Swept and FI2000 going on next week. I already had a K&N in the bike but because you two wouldn't stop I just picked up the Powrflo Air Intake.

When the box gets delivered and the S--- hits the fan I'm just going to blame you guys
:devil2: too funny! Thanks for the laugh. We can all relate mate.

Also - you are suppose to have those items delivered to your place of work! :wink2:

Any reason you are not going with the PowrPro tuner?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I believe my bike, with all the auto-tuning magic, runs richer than it needs to. I don't get great mileage, 37-44mpg, with commuting in city traffic. At a stop, if I throttle, I smell that rich gas smell that brings me back to my VW bug/bus days. I don't care about hypermiling; I enjoy feeling and hearing that power (but not in an obnoxious way).

What kind of mileage do you see?

Honestly I don’t really pay attention to the mileage. I like to open it up a lot on the back roads. Lean into those turns with that throttle wide open. So I don’t expect much lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Honestly I don’t really pay attention to the mileage. I like to open it up a lot on the back roads. Lean into those turns with that throttle wide open. So I don’t expect much lol
...theres nothing like it! Thats why we ride! Throttle therapy... :cool:

I can't lean as far as I'd like on the classic, as the floorboards grind well before I reach my limits (maybe that keeps me out of trouble). Any issue on the custom?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dennis Kirk is where I picked mine up Mike. Best price I found.
+1 to denniskirk.com; I've been ordering most of my items from them. They ship very fast, have the best pricing on everything so far, and its a great site. They claim the lowest prices guaranteed or they will "Beat it by a Buck".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike, your custom looks great! The intake will certainly add some extra points!

I'm really wondering how different the classic feels from the custom.

I'm adding freeway bars and lowers next, here she is today:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
...theres nothing like it! Thats why we ride! Throttle therapy... :cool:

I can't lean as far as I'd like on the classic, as the floorboards grind well before I reach my limits (maybe that keeps me out of trouble). Any issue on the custom?

Sounds like you need to toss those floor boards my friend. Don’t let useless metal get in the way of leaning that girl over.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Mike, your custom looks great! The intake will certainly add some extra points!

I'm really wondering how different the classic feels from the custom.

I'm adding freeway bars and lowers next, here she is today:

I’m not sure if there is any difference besides the body. I was never a fan of that flared fenders. It’s too retro for my taste. I had saddle bags that came with the bike but I removed them because I find it hard to clean behind them and it causes nothing but rust. I hate rust. Tip for removing rust...tin foil. Ball it up and gently rub it on your chrome to remove rust. Just need to make sure you keep the tin foil wet. The sissy bar was covered in rust I used the tin foil trick than waxed the piss out of it to protect it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m thinking about getting the cobra air intake, but because of price will prolly do the fuel tuner next year. Will I see any response with just air intake? And how much benefit would I see with just air intake and fuel tuner if I never add aftermarket exhaust. I actually love the look of the stock exhaust better than any if the aftermarket ones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I’m thinking about getting the cobra air intake, but because of price will prolly do the fuel tuner next year. Will I see any response with just air intake? And how much benefit would I see with just air intake and fuel tuner if I never add aftermarket exhaust. I actually love the look of the stock exhaust better than any if the aftermarket ones.

Honestly I would get a tuner before getting the intake. Without a tuner to make adjustments your bike is going to run lean and eventually burn out your valves

·
Registered
403 Posts
Fj2u, I hate to sound like a girl, but I love the color of your bike. Dark Green and a silver gold looking color, very nice. BTW, I am not a girl. 🙂

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Only thing left is to install it and than try to get it tuned correctly. If anyone has the the big 3 and has the fi2000r I would love to hear your settings.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Fj2u, I hate to sound like a girl, but I love the color of your bike. Dark Green and a silver gold looking color, very nice. BTW, I am not a girl. 🙂
Thx jbiggers! Appreciate the sentiment. It honestly wouldn't have been my first choice, but it grew on me and now I love it! The colors are officially called Metallic Dark Green and Metallic Titanium. It does get a lot of comments.

Check it out when the sun hits it:

21 - 40 of 57 Posts