Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a hyper charger on their Vn900c? If so was there any noticeable gains? Was it constantly getting in the way of your leg? Let me know your opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Mike!

Since you haven't received any responses, I thought I'd jump in.

The previous owner installed a Cobra PowrPro tuner, PowrFlo Intake, and Speedster Slashdown pipes. I have nothing to compare it to tell you how it was before the upgrades (sorry). But I can tell you its plenty fast, and sounds mean, and delicious. I'm very happy with these mods. The intake does not get in my way, although again, I can't compare it to stock. Its possible I would be more aware of it if I had a stock intake previously. But again, I'm totally happy with this setup, and wouldn't change it.

Any reason you are looking at Kuryakyn instake vs Cobra? Have you changed the pipes, and added (or plan to add) a tuner?

I've attached a pic of mine to see how it looks.

Are there any questions I can answer for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By the picture it appears that the air intake it pretty much flush to the tank. Am I correct in that assumption? If so than it probably only sticks out an additional inch or so from the stock filter. I’m just trying to justify the 300 dollar add on lol. Looks real nice though.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Because the opening of the intake is facing forward it becomes a "ram air" intake. So when your driving with the oem intake the engine had to suck in air. With a ram air intake air is forced into the motor. Think of it as a less effective poor man's turbo

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
46 Posts
Because the opening of the intake is facing forward it becomes a "ram air" intake. So when your driving with the oem intake the engine had to suck in air. With a ram air intake air is forced into the motor. Think of it as a less effective poor man's turbo

Compared to OEM, is there a detectable performance or efficiency difference at any speed? Specifically highway cruising speed (60 to 75 mph)?

·
Registered
24 Posts
By the picture it appears that the air intake it pretty much flush to the tank. Am I correct in that assumption? If so than it probably only sticks out an additional inch or so from the stock filter. I’m just trying to justify the 300 dollar add on lol. Looks real nice though.

Mike - I took a couple more pics for you to get a better idea of how much it (doesn't) stick out.

Have you priced out exhaust (and tuner) as well? I really wonder what benefit you would notice without doing the combination of 'in & out' at the same time.

Also - it looks really cool, so that is a benefit. :smile-big:

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike - I took a couple more pics for you to get a better idea of how much it (doesn't) stick out.

Have you priced out exhaust (and tuner) as well? I really wonder what benefit you would notice without doing the combination of 'in & out' at the same time.

Also - it looks really cool, so that is a benefit. :smile-big:

I already have the cobra full exhaust and tuner installed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Excellent! Well then get one already! :grin2:

Also, are you considering the Cobra PowrFlo Intake, or the Kuryakyn Hypercharger?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I don't have the exhaust yet, but recently added the air flow kit and the tuner and notice a smoother ride, slight, very slight, HP bump, but between that and the looks, I'm happy. Now if a set of cobra long pipes shows up in the classifieds, I will be very happy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent! Well then get one already! :grin2:

Also, are you considering the Cobra PowrFlo Intake, or the Kuryakyn Hypercharger?

I like the look of the kuryakyn hypercharger but I not convinced it will fit my bike.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just the fi2000r. I believe the one you have auto tuned right?
Yes, it is auto tuned, and it can be adjusted with a phone app (which I don't bother with).

Marketing Mumbo:
This system calculates the bike’s rate of acceleration much like a dynamometer. That allows the PowrPro to measure and adjust fuel flow to the injectors in microseconds for super-fast fuel tuning—automatically. No external data, such as new EFI mapping, is necessary. Older so-called auto-tune systems rely on O2 sensors that must be installed in the exhaust pipe to adjust the air/fuel ratio according to a pre-set map—but varying conditions can render that EFI mapping less than ideal. And regardless of how many dyno runs you perform, you always end up with only one EFI map—which may not provide the optimum setting for the way you’ll be riding tomorrow, next month or next year.

With PowrPro installed, it’s like having a built-in dyno that not only reads how the bike is performing in real time in the real world, it also adjusts the fuel delivery for ideal EFI performance—multiple times per second. Whenever you twist open the throttle, PowrPro goes on, assuring that the fueling system and the bike are operating at optimum efficiency.

Unlike other systems, PowrPro offers plug-in performance: no bungs, no O2 sensors, no computer hook-ups or downloads, no sorting through a bewildering array of EFI maps to find one that’s just right. And there is no need to run the bike on the dyno to tune or verify tuning settings. You simply plug the PowrPro into your bike’s existing wiring harness and immediately enjoy continuously variable tuning as PowrPro delivers the optimum fuel mixture instantly and dynamically under all riding conditions.

And no matter which components you change in the future, whether it’s a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with new camshafts, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance.

I have seen riders complain about backfires and popping after modding exhaust, etc; but I have grown to like it. I feel like I can control it most of the time. Do you experiencing backfire and popping?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ah yes, I can see that based on your avatar; the Kury might fit your styling more.

Well I like both styles. Yes it’s a custom so I’m not looking to retro out the bike like you would with a classic. However I did see somewhere in the forums someone said there was a hypercharger that fits the Vulcan 900 but I’m not seeing one anywhere. Might just have to go with the cobra air box than.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, it is auto tuned, and it can be adjusted with a phone app (which I don't bother with).

Marketing Mumbo:

This system calculates the bike’s rate of acceleration much like a dynamometer. That allows the PowrPro to measure and adjust fuel flow to the injectors in microseconds for super-fast fuel tuning—automatically. No external data, such as new EFI mapping, is necessary. Older so-called auto-tune systems rely on O2 sensors that must be installed in the exhaust pipe to adjust the air/fuel ratio according to a pre-set map—but varying conditions can render that EFI mapping less than ideal. And regardless of how many dyno runs you perform, you always end up with only one EFI map—which may not provide the optimum setting for the way you’ll be riding tomorrow, next month or next year.

With PowrPro installed, it’s like having a built-in dyno that not only reads how the bike is performing in real time in the real world, it also adjusts the fuel delivery for ideal EFI performance—multiple times per second. Whenever you twist open the throttle, PowrPro goes on, assuring that the fueling system and the bike are operating at optimum efficiency.

Unlike other systems, PowrPro offers plug-in performance: no bungs, no O2 sensors, no computer hook-ups or downloads, no sorting through a bewildering array of EFI maps to find one that’s just right. And there is no need to run the bike on the dyno to tune or verify tuning settings. You simply plug the PowrPro into your bike’s existing wiring harness and immediately enjoy continuously variable tuning as PowrPro delivers the optimum fuel mixture instantly and dynamically under all riding conditions.

And no matter which components you change in the future, whether it’s a new exhaust system, a freer-flowing air filter setup or even a big-bore hop-up kit with new camshafts, PowrPro continues to analyze and tune your engine for peak performance.

I have seen riders complain about backfires and popping after modding exhaust, etc; but I have grown to like it. I feel like I can control it most of the time. Do you experiencing backfire and popping?

It was running fine up until I found a nest in my air box. So I cleaned it all out and used the k&n filter restoration kit to make it like new again. Far cheaper than buying a new filter btw. After that response went way up but after a week or so I did start getting popping and backfires once and awhile. I have been slowly tuning it manually to try to fix the issue. I was assuming it was running lean with the filter cleaned out so I have it more gas in low and mid range revs. Than earlier today I also gave it for gas in the high rev range. The entire ride home from work which is about 40 minutes I didn’t get a single backfire. Some slight popping during decel in 2nd but that doesn’t bother me. Think my settings now are 4-3-1

·
Registered
93 Posts
So I've been following the thread and have my Cobra Speedster Swept and FI2000 going on next week. I already had a K&N in the bike but because you two wouldn't stop I just picked up the Powrflo Air Intake.

When the box gets delivered and the S--- hits the fan I'm just going to blame you guys

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

The air box that’s currently on the bike is an aftermarket kuryakyn but I want something more functional rather than decorative. Dennis Kirk has the cobra air intake cheaper than anywhere else so that might be my choice atm.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I've been following the thread and have my Cobra Speedster Swept and FI2000 going on next week. I already had a K&N in the bike but because you two wouldn't stop I just picked up the Powrflo Air Intake.

When the box gets delivered and the S--- hits the fan I'm just going to blame you guys

Hahahahaha. Your welcome.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts