Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all....first time rider/poster here.

So today while riding my new 09 custom into work, found myself where I could go 5th to 4th, but could not get into 3,2,N,1 for the life of me. Now I havent been riding long, about 4days now, but this is just aggrivating. I do not know if there is some major problem with the bike, or if this is a known issue and easy fix, but I am definetly concerned.

Please let me know what I can/should do. Really trying to avoid the stealerships, as labor costs are a serious killer, and since the bike is over 2yrs old "even though it has less then 2300 mi", there is no warrenty.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Were you rolling or stopped when you tried to shift?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Helek is right...if you're at a stop you won't be able to downshift (unless you let the clutch out a hair, and even then it can potentially be difficult)...that's why you always want to downshift before coming to a complete stop. If you're moving, it shouldn't be an issue, and if it is, sounds like a bad transmission.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem is, I always downsift to slow/stop. today, I would go from 5th to 4th as I approched a light...let my RPM's drop, try to go into third...and nothing. slow down with the breaks, try to drop into 3rd and nothing. Finally use the breaks to come to a complete stop and sit there trying to get into a different gear at the light....but nothing.

I finally got it into first/neutral once I reached my destination, stopped the bike, got off and started to push/pull the shifter with my hand. This may be a fluke, but since the bike as less then 2300 miles on it, I dont want to take any chances. Plus starting off in 4th gear = allot of reving/sputtering and the occational stall.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My 2010 Classic does a similar thing. Under heavy braking or quick stop it’s harder to get the lower gears when down shifting. When I slow normally it’s no problem down shifting at all. I think the gear box just needs more revolutions / time to get everything to line up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had that problem. The shifter required stripping and re-greasing. My local dealer put it down to winter riding and road salt. My 09 custom had roughly the same mileage. A 20 minute job and it's perfect now.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
If you're not able to properly downshift while slowing down (i'm talking A:revving the engine, B:going down a gear, C:releasing the clutch, D:engine brake, E:repeat steps A - D through to neutral), then i'm with Kwaka1, an adjustment of some sort needs to be made. Take it to a repair shop and have them look at it.

I'm not talking just banging down the gears while holding in the clutch and rolling down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hey all....first time rider/poster here.

So today while riding my new 09 custom into work, found myself where I could go 5th to 4th, but could not get into 3,2,N,1 for the life of me. Now I havent been riding long, about 4days now, but this is just aggrivating. I do not know if there is some major problem with the bike, or if this is a known issue and easy fix, but I am definetly concerned.

Please let me know what I can/should do. Really trying to avoid the stealerships, as labor costs are a serious killer, and since the bike is over 2yrs old "even though it has less then 2300 mi", there is no warrenty.

Thanks
Please don't take this the wrong way but you're trying to sort out this problem and this board will try and help in any way it can. If there's any chance you are resting your foot, even slightly, on the shifter and then try and down shift, you will have a problem. Make sure your foot is away from the shifter before trying again to down shift. Also, as other posters have mentioned any little bit of crud in the heim joints of the linkage will restrict the movement of the shifter mechanism back to a position where you can down shift again. Lube and go and then let us know.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just dealt with this very problem, 2 trips to the dealer and I fixed it my self in 20 min. The shifter was not returning to center, easiest way to find out is after a down shift slip your foot under like you would for an upshift but only pull back about 1/2-1" and try to down shift again.

The fix was to pull it apart, pop out the bushing pack it with grease and reassemble.
I went back the next day to mention it to the dealer who proclaimed "the bushing should be dry" but had no answer when I asked why are there seals in the shifter then.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you down shift you need to push down then lift up off the shifter so there is no pressure on it then push down again for the next shift. This must be done while the bike is still moveing. When you lift your foot you will feel the shifter unload for the next shift. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well I had the same problem coming into work again today. In Fifth, approching light/stop....want to double down into third, but only 4th engages. Reving and releasing the clutch isnt getting me into third. Shifter isnt binding, it is just like nothing is there.

At the stop now and stuck in 4th. High revs and shimmy shake off the line. Start going, get into third. Back up to 4th and 5th for traffic....next light/stop....same thing, 4th only and shifter is just up/down with nothing there.

Stalled 3x coming into work today....Not Fun >_>

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
well I had the same problem coming into work again today. In Fifth, approching light/stop....want to double down into third, but only 4th engages. Reving and releasing the clutch isnt getting me into third. Shifter isnt binding, it is just like nothing is there.

At the stop now and stuck in 4th. High revs and shimmy shake off the line. Start going, get into third. Back up to 4th and 5th for traffic....next light/stop....same thing, 4th only and shifter is just up/down with nothing there.

Stalled 3x coming into work today....Not Fun >_>
Suggest taking to an independent garage and let them take it for a ride.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
keep up those 4th gear starts and a new clutch will be in the not too distant future !!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I think I got it fixed. Took it to the dealer and had 2 different techs ride it around the block and both experienced the issue. Last of the 2 isolated the issue to the pivet joint on the shifter. Yah, apparently it was rusted up pritty good and just wouldnt slip down. After lubing it up, she works great again.

Thank christ it wasnt anything too bad or expensive.

Thanks for all the feedback though :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Well I think I got it fixed. Took it to the dealer and had 2 different techs ride it around the block and both experienced the issue. Last of the 2 isolated the issue to the pivet joint on the shifter. Yah, apparently it was rusted up pritty good and just wouldnt slip down. After lubing it up, she works great again.

Thank christ it wasnt anything too bad or expensive.

Thanks for all the feedback though :)
Glad to hear it was an easy fix. It's surprising how much salt is in the air when you live near the shore. You'll have to make lubing the shift linkage part of your usual maintenance from now on.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Awesome! Much cheaper repair than the clutch. :good:

Thanks for posting the solution to your problem, it could very well help someone else later on.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
yup a bit of grease is a cheep fix...i know the first thing to check if i encounter that issue !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Shifting Fix

I had the problem on my 06 900 Classic LT, especially downshifting. I had play in the shift lever, but it just would not engage the next gear (no clunk). My mechanic took the change leaver off, and the shaft that goes into the leaver comp hole was very dirty. He cleaned out the hole and the shaft, lubed it with wd40, put it back together and it shifted like new. Thank heavens for this thread! The diagram of the change leaver and leaver comp are in the url
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KUS#/Kawasaki/VN900D6F_Vulcan_900_Classic_LT_(2006)/GEAR_CHANGE_MECHANISM/VN900D6F-2006/I14I1442E1370

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I had the problem on my 06 900 Classic LT, especially downshifting. I had play in the shift lever, but it just would not engage the next gear (no clunk). My mechanic took the change leaver off, and the shaft that goes into the leaver comp hole was very dirty. He cleaned out the hole and the shaft, lubed it with wd40, put it back together and it shifted like new. Thank heavens for this thread! The diagram of the change leaver and leaver comp are in the url
http://www.powersportspro.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=KUS#/Kawasaki/VN900D6F_Vulcan_900_Classic_LT_(2006)/GEAR_CHANGE_MECHANISM/VN900D6F-2006/I14I1442E1370
Everything read good until I came to the part where your mechanic used WD40 as a lube. WD40 is a great cleaner and water displacer when you can't use something like a carb cleaner, but it's not a lubricant. Use a marine grease or moly grease in the future.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts