Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

VN900 Stock Seat Mod by keeping genuine locking

12K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  Dirtwiz 
#1 ·
Hello all,

as i mentioned in my introduction i want to show you my seat mod. Its inspired by some other users here on vulcan forums. Thanks to them:handshake:. Because pictures say more than thousand words...:smile: here they are.

Stock Seat Mod VN900 by keeping the genuine lockingsystem.
Part 1:

Part 2 will follow as soon as possible.

Bye:bye:
genghis

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes keep us updated!!

#5 ·
Ok, here's the next part...

The last part will follow as soon as i have the cover for locking finished. I am still working on a aluminium cover which should hide the locking mechanism.

Bye:waving:
genghis

#6 ·
in the picture are we seeing bolt heads that hold the plate in or nuts I can not tell

#7 ·
Hi Ernie,

there are nuts. But this only temporarily. The cover i am working on shall cover it all. The aluminium cover will be fixed with two carriage bolts. I think this will look not that ugly as it looks now.:D

:waving:
genghis

#8 ·
After few try and errors at the weekend, here is the actual development. Previosly i made a cover of a stainless steel plate. It was painted in black. But i didn't like it. It was looking not that good to me. It had a lot of scratches before i was even finnised mounting of the cover.

The actual cover is made of aluminium diamond plate and has already an additional plate with slots on the upper part. These slots are destined for mounting a toolbag. This additional cover should cover the backside of the seat. Finally i will paint it in black too.

to be continued...

:smile:
genghis

#10 · (Edited)
Hi Ron,

i like the geniune seat of vn900 the most. All aviable solo seats are more narrow and have bead behind the seat to cover the lock. Thats why i want to mod the geniune seat to solo (in fact for fun). The only bad thing is the locking system of the vn900. I think the vn900 hast the most unusual seat mount. I am shure it will look better when i paint it to black and put a toolbag on it :).

Just wait until it's done.
:)

#11 ·
You could also cover it with leather

#12 ·
I agree that once you get a tool bag on, it will look pretty sharp. I do agree with Ron though, hope you sat on it for a while before you decided to put all that work into keeping it. I threw my OEM seat out after the first couple of 1 hour rides. It was the most uncomfortable seat I've ever sat on. After a 1/2 hour my butt was killing me.

#13 ·
Hi Collin.

thank you for your opinion.

But i didnt change the seat form, its still the same. I did even mount a heavy 3mm steel plate (without deforming the seat) to avoid deforming caused by the weight of the driver (me:)). So i think this should be no problem.

:) :) :)

#14 · (Edited)
@ErnieC

If i would coat the cover with leather it would look like the other seats which i don't like. The seat seems longer than, this is what i want to prevent. I want my seat big and wide. As a model i have a vulcan drifter seat in mind. There is no seatform on the market (europe) that looks like the one on the foto below.

All available seats here are to long. :(

:) :) :)

#15 ·
Looks good and will be awesome when you get the tool bag covering the hardware. I agree with you on the looks of the stock seat being much nicer than the available solo's. I just wish I didn't find it so darn uncomfortable!

#16 · (Edited)
I just wish I didn't find it so darn uncomfortable!
@edmKC
Thank you.

I have no experience with the seat yet. My longest ride with my vn900 was 50 km till now. But if you look at the pictures of the locking you will see a 5mm rubber plate. This is for additional suspension of the seat and to prevent deformation of the steel plate. A 5mm rubber plate is also mounted between seat frame and the Steel plate which you can't see because i have didnt shot fotos of this part. I hope this will do his job. :eek:

#18 ·
I think a solo rack would cover the attachment area and finish it off nicely. One like this rack:

You'd have to put a hole in your rear fender for another attachment point. Maybe with a cotter pin to allow quick removal with the seat.

Jim

#19 · (Edited)
That's what I was thinking. Haven't found one I like (and cheap enough for me) yet though. I was wondering about using suction cups instead of holes though since I wouldn't be tying anything to it. Purely bling.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2
using the Motorcycle. com app.

#27 · (Edited)
My wife and I rode about 800 miles round trip to Ocean City, Maryland for Bike Week in September on my 2010 900 Classic and I still have my stock seat. We felt fine riding 400 miles there, rode all week, and then back home. I would like a better seat, but it's not my top priority. I could have used a taller pulley for all of the slab riding. A pulley and set of whitewalls will be installed in the next couple of weeks. Maybe I will have the cash set back for a nice seat before this September and then I can try this mod with a little trimming out of the sides to make it skinnier. I'd like to find another 9 and bob it. This mod is just right for saving some cash when building a bobber.

#28 ·
Dont listen to what others say. If you like it, ride it. It's your bike, not theirs after all. Happy riding!

#30 ·
Hi Kawrider, Hi Mercness1112 ,

thanks for both of you. Of course I'll make my own experiences. I had already some motorcycles with much poorer seats. I think I'll deal with it.
If my mod someone else serve as a help i would be honored. I myself have got here on vulcan forums help and suggestions.;)

The cost for this seat mod are indeed very low (about 10$). The circumstance that you have made ​​it yourself is beyond price. :D

#31 ·
Since you like Mods, there are plenty of Mods to making that seat very comfortable. any where from using gel packs, memory foam to doing a mod on a plain old car pad to fit your bike. there is a youtube vid on how a mustang seat is made . You can also find a web site that talks about foam for your bike seat. So for like 20 to 30 bucks you can have the same comfort as the mustang seat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.