Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this doable?:eek:

Need more power, being in this part of world i have many limitations; motorcycles are not much popular around here,so no trading-in and no exchange. I bought this 900LT from US-New Hampshire so selling this here will be a big job to think about another bigger bike! So esiest thing is to modify this one.
I think i wont be satisfied with a exhaust-air intake-fuel processor upgrade. I defenitely need a big bore motor, is it doable on this 900? Else what are the solutions?

appreciate all comments.

regards,
cv:D

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I defenitely need a big bore motor, is it doable on this 900? Else what are the solutions?

appreciate all comments.
Other than the big 3, pipes, air and processor, the only option i have seen is a home made turbo. The big 3 on a properly done bike will raise the HP from around 43 hp at the rear wheel to around 60 hp at the rear.

Wont more, ya gonna have to buy a different bike.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
+1 to what Whiting said.

The big three will give you a sizeable bump, but there's only so much 903 cc's will do for ya in a V-Twin with single overhead cams. I know you said it'd be difficult, but I usually tell people that if they think the 900 is seriously lacking, then the big three won't likely satisfy them. It's probably best to just cut your losses and move on to a 1700 or even a V2K (a V2K is a great bike to move to from a 900 because the frames and the riding position is very, very similar. A V2K is, pretty much, a VN900 with a hotrod motor).

BUT, if you're the kind of person who likes the 900, but thinks a little bump in power would be nice, then the big three is the way to go. Just be aware that the cost of the big three, combined with what your bike is worth, COULD get you a used V2K here in the states.

That said, I really enjoy my 900, and would honestly rather have a 900 with the big three than a V2K (I like the low weight and nimbleness). The only exception was if there was a full dresser V2K (like a V2K voyager with stereo with handlebar controls, storage, fairing, etc.)

·
Registered
702 Posts
If you're lusting for that much power, why did you buy the VN 900 to begin with? Yes, the V2K IS a huge jump in power from the 900, I know, I own both. But for nimble handling in a cruiser, the 900 is definitely that. Up in the mountains of east TN/western NC, the V2K will wear you out, right along with the floorboards and bottom pipe.
Your 900 is a fine machine right off the showroom floor.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which is the best pipe for a 900 which could give you more power. I dont like the looks of a 2 into 1 system, so please tell me about 2 into 2 kinda stuff along with a cobra fuel pro and air intake.

regards,

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Whatever options you chose, be sure and dial (dyno tune) the combination in or you will be leaving power and efficiency on the table.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Is this doable?:eek:

Need more power, being in this part of world i have many limitations; motorcycles are not much popular around here,so no trading-in and no exchange. I bought this 900LT from US-New Hampshire so selling this here will be a big job to think about another bigger bike! So esiest thing is to modify this one.
I think i wont be satisfied with a exhaust-air intake-fuel processor upgrade. I defenitely need a big bore motor, is it doable on this 900? Else what are the solutions?

appreciate all comments.

regards,
What part of the world are you posted? Seems to me that if you go the big three route you'll need a smart tune fuel processor such as the Cobra Powrpro or the PCV with Autotune. Any way you look at it you can expect to pay USD 1500 for a top of the line package.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
+1 to what Whiting said.

The big three will give you a sizeable bump, but there's only so much 903 cc's will do for ya in a V-Twin with single overhead cams. I know you said it'd be difficult, but I usually tell people that if they think the 900 is seriously lacking, then the big three won't likely satisfy them. It's probably best to just cut your losses and move on to a 1700 or even a V2K (a V2K is a great bike to move to from a 900 because the frames and the riding position is very, very similar. A V2K is, pretty much, a VN900 with a hotrod motor).

BUT, if you're the kind of person who likes the 900, but thinks a little bump in power would be nice, then the big three is the way to go. Just be aware that the cost of the big three, combined with what your bike is worth, COULD get you a used V2K here in the states.

That said, I really enjoy my 900, and would honestly rather have a 900 with the big three than a V2K (I like the low weight and nimbleness). The only exception was if there was a full dresser V2K (like a V2K voyager with stereo with handlebar controls, storage, fairing, etc.)
Romans speaks of the truth. The V2K is the 9's overgrown and over fed sibling. Even the sissy bars and such will interchanged between them.

If you're lusting for that much power, why did you buy the VN 900 to begin with? Yes, the V2K IS a huge jump in power from the 900, I know, I own both. But for nimble handling in a cruiser, the 900 is definitely that. Up in the mountains of east TN/western NC, the V2K will wear you out, right along with the floorboards and bottom pipe.
Your 900 is a fine machine right off the showroom floor.
This is also very true. I soon found my self being one of the guys toward the back at times because you can only lean so far until you start scrubbing. I have even bottomed out my frame in a curve while hitting a bump.

Don't get me wrong. I love the bike and I would not get rid of it for anything, and has probably been my favorite bike. But those are 2 major short comings of the bike.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i had a vulcan 800, very nice bike but i was never impressed with the power from it
i did not realize until now the second v twin the 1700 voyager power wize not too impressive not like a honda 750-4, yahama 850 tripple, even the 1200 goldwing i
just sold, 4 cyl, is alot faster than the v twin,

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
i had a vulcan 800, very nice bike but i was never impressed with the power from it
i did not realize until now the second v twin the 1700 voyager power wize not too impressive not like a honda 750-4, yahama 850 tripple, even the 1200 goldwing i
just sold, 4 cyl, is alot faster than the v twin,
You ought to check out the V2K. CC's don't tell the whole story. The 1700 Vulcan is designed to be a smooth, efficient, and reliable V-Twin engine for touring platform bikes (even the 'classic' variation has touring accouterments like air suspension).

However, generally, a 4 cylinder motor WILL provide more power than a two cylinder motor, generally, of similar displacement. Remember it's a four stroke engine. Four stroke engines only actually make power every fourth stroke. That means that every other stroke (if you combine them then even them out) makes power on a V-Twin, whereas every stroke makes power on a 4 cylinder motor in at least one piston. There are some other advantages to 4 cylinder motorcycle engines as well.

But, I didn't buy it for raw power. I like the throatiness, the torque, and the ease of maintenance a V-Twin offers. One of my favorite things to do with any V-Twin is to lay into a corner, and snap the throttle coming out of the corner and really feel all of that torque pull you out of the corner.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
There is a turbo kit available from One Off Custom Designs.
Given the cost, and the fact that a used V2K costs about the same or a little more as a used VN900 (Value seemed to drop when they stopped making them, they really weren't/aren't selling) if you shop around; I think you could trade in a 900 on a V2K and come out ahead.

That said, a turbo kit WOULD be a cool way to get a unique and powerful bike. About $1800 plus whatever else you'll need (exhaust, fuel processor, etc.) will net you about 75-80 horsepower. Not too shabby! But, for what ends up being over 2 grand, I still wouldn't be able to shake the feeling I could have just bought a bigger bike and had even MORE horsepower. (If power was important enough for me to spend that much, that is. Since my bike is still stock drivetrain wise, that ought to tell you how concerned I am about the 900's power! :p)

·
Registered
32 Posts
My 900 make me laugh (in a good way) every time I ride it, I have two 28 year old sport bikes in the shed (GSXR750) that make 100hp and a fun to ride, but the Vulcan is a whole differant world, harder work on a winding road than a sports bike but very enjoyable.

if Kawasaki wanted the Vulcan 900 to have sports bike prformance they could have used the head and barrels of the following,

a KXF450 puts out 52hp at the Rear Wheel...STOCK! (8500 RPM) x2 = 104 but would blow up every 20 hr:mad:

and the KLX450 is around 40hp x2= 80hp

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yup, a VTwin is not about high top end speed. It's about the torque and tractor-like pull, off the bottom, and comfortable, leisurely cruising while enjoying your surroundings on a ride. With the 900, you're not going to win any high speed races or acceleration contests, but that's just not the point. The other thing to remember is that the 900 is pretty darned fuel efficient, while a larger engine will suck down the gas a lot faster, and the tank isn't any bigger. There's a lot to like about the 900, so long as one rides within its parameters and according to its intended purpose. But if more power is what you want, then the "package" is your solution.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Same goes for the V2K. It won't be winning any speed races either. It might be a big fast powerful bike but it is still a VTwin. You got stump pulling torque to pull what ever load you would want to pull with it but it wont run with inline 4 banger sport bikes 1/3 the displacement but if you chain them together you will rip the other bike in half, turn around and beat your chest grunt in a pre neanderthal like manner.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Same goes for the V2K. It won't be winning any speed races either. It might be a big fast powerful bike but it is still a VTwin. You got stump pulling torque to pull what ever load you would want to pull with it but it wont run with inline 4 banger sport bikes 1/3 the displacement but if you chain them together you will rip the other bike in half, turn around and beat your chest grunt in a pre neanderthal like manner.

(Skip to about 0:25)

Yup, a VTwin is not about high top end speed. It's about the torque and tractor-like pull, off the bottom, and comfortable, leisurely cruising while enjoying your surroundings on a ride. With the 900, you're not going to win any high speed races or acceleration contests, but that's just not the point. The other thing to remember is that the 900 is pretty darned fuel efficient, while a larger engine will suck down the gas a lot faster, and the tank isn't any bigger. There's a lot to like about the 900, so long as one rides within its parameters and according to its intended purpose. But if more power is what you want, then the "package" is your solution.
You said it. The 9 is a surprisingly torquey motor for it's size, but the fuel range is stellar. I LOVE being able to go 250 miles, or more, on a tank of fuel. Especially as a commuter bike, it makes it really nice because you don't have to stop for gas every day!

There are a LOT of bikes that can outrun me, but that's not why I bought mine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts