Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Feels like I'm always stuck in second gear," ok not really, but since we're all "FRIENDS", I thought I would share a recent mod.
Those in the know are aware that I wrote a "How To" on installing a diode kit for LED lighting, inside your Vulcan's instrument cluster. For more on that, go here:
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174329

While disassembling the speedo cluster for the diode mod, it was hard not to notice how empty the case is. The electronics inside take up little room, which left me with an idea and room to play...

I have wanted to have a Tach on my bike, but it's an afterthought on the 900, and looks out of place to me. So, while I decide if that's something I really want to do, I figured a gear indicator might be the next best thing.

The Gear Indicator
Due to its size, accuracy, and ease of installation, I decided to use the HealTech Gi Pro. Its a completely sealed unit that measures about 3/4" X 1" and it has a large colored LED display. The unit works right out of the box, no setup required. Simply plug it into the factory Kawasaki diagnostic port, secure the cable and ride!

The Mod
The Gi Pro comes with double sided tape and is designed to be attached anywhere on your bike you can fit it. Nice, but that just wasn't good enough for me. I wanted a clean factory look so, I knew what had to be done!

Mock up:
IMG_20150501_082853[1].jpg

Mounted location: Sizing up the window on the illumination plate.
IMG_20150501_090214[1].jpg

Alignment to Speedo face: Ended up falling between 110 and 130mph. I doubt I'll ever catch the needle over there!
IMG_20150501_085012[1].jpg

Severed: The Gi Pro's harness had to be cut to pass through the weather grommet and maintain the serviceability of the instrument panel. A Delphi weatherpak harness serves as the panel's disconnect.
IMG_20150501_085326[1].jpg

Test Fit of the assembly: Looks good so far! The needles have to be set with the instrument panel connected to the bike, with the ignition on, to reset the needles to their "zero" locations.
IMG_20150501_101403[1].jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The finished results of the HealTech Gi Pro gear indicator, freshly integrated into the VN900 speedometer panel.

IMG_20150501_182143[1].jpg IMG_20150501_221412[1].jpg IMG_20150501_085432[1].jpg IMG_20150501_090538[1].jpg IMG_20150501_090621[1].jpg

I chose the white display(special order) for maximum brightness, but other colors are available. The white LED is easily seen in bright daylight and is not overwhelming at night. The night pics look a little overexposed, as the display is sharp and clear and does not look as bright as the photos. Once the needles were set and everything was back on the bike, I verified the speed accuracy with GPS and just my luck, nailed it the first time!
I'm very happy with the results. A factory look, like it was meant to be.

2lucky

·
Registered
156 Posts
What did you use to make the cut in the speedo face? I doubt I could make a cut that good and envy your work.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
@ seawolf, Thank you for the compliment! The rough cut was made on the illumination plate. Then I traced the window location onto the back side of speedo face. I used a dremel to cut the outline on the small side, and used precision files to get to the final shape and dimensions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@ King The wiring is simple, HealTech uses a Kawasaki factory plug at the end of their harness that connects to the ECU diagnostic port (behind the right side panel). I severed the harness near the display to feed it through a weather seal in the speedo case, then added a disconnect at the neck of the bike for serviceability.
IMG_20150505_080505.jpg

The rest of the Gi Pros harness is secured under the gas tank, passes near the right side of the battery box into the pocket of the right side panel, where it plugs in.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So am I correct in understanding that the device gets the data of what gear the bike s in from the diagnostic port? Or is there some other connects that need to be made?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
@NDR Correct. The only connection to the bike is the diagnostic port. The Gi Pro makes use of three wires in the port: power, ground, and data.
I should point out that there are no sensors in the VN900 transmission. The Gi Pro uses data from the speed sensor and the engines RPM to determine what gear the bike is in, with exception to Neutral, as there is a switch for that. Due to the computational method being used, the clutch must be released in order for the current RPM to be obtained and there is about a one second delay for the gear to register on the display after the clutch has been released. The unit has a RPM learning mode for you guys with custom rear tires or OD pulleys.
2lucky

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I wanted a clean factory look so, I knew what had to be done!
Really nice install. Makes me feel really, really lazy for just slapping mine on the triple tree.

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
I chose the white display(special order) for maximum brightness, but other colors are available. The white LED is easily seen in bright daylight and is not overwhelming at night.
I went with a green display. Again, special order but easily seen in sunlight (I was surprised at that) and easy on the eyes at night. Again, nice job on a great looking install.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Just ordered it in red ... doubt I'll do what you did but will see.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@LBV
Bluemonkey is great! Same place I ordered mine, excellent service, great people! Red will go great with the amber illumination. I think yellow would also. If you decide to challenge yourself with the speedo, let me know how it goes!

Thank you everyone on the positive feedback!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Yeah they shipped it quick .. got held up in customs for a few days but finally got it.

Just stuck it on the bike on that horizontal piece at the top of the forks but have yet to see it in action (rain past wkend).

·
Registered
132 Posts
now that is a gorgeous setup. im floored. atleast i know that there is room to play under the gauge face, now. good to know i'm not the only one who finds a wiring diagram to be one of the most useful pieces of info i can grab on a vehicle....

1 - 20 of 27 Posts