Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post on the main site, could only get on the new members site last week, thanks the ErnieC and Romans5.8 for their replies and the links.
Was wondering if anyone has shortened the exhaust on a VN900 Classic? There’s lots of 2nd hand exhaust systems around so was thinking a grabbing a set and reducing the overall length. If you are asking why – just cause with a few mods I have been doing the standard exhaust just look a bit long and out of place – don’t really want to go the expense of some after market ones. My main concern is if the shortening will have any performance issues or create any potential engine issues. Hope someone can help and this is what i am planning, baffles are already removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
295 Posts
My first post on the main site, could only get on the new members site last week, thanks the ErnieC and Romans5.8 for their replies and the links.
Was wondering if anyone has shortened the exhaust on a VN900 Classic? There’s lots of 2nd hand exhaust systems around so was thinking a grabbing a set and reducing the overall length. If you are asking why – just cause with a few mods I have been doing the standard exhaust just look a bit long and out of place – don’t really want to go the expense of some after market ones. My main concern is if the shortening will have any performance issues or create any potential engine issues. Hope someone can help and this is what i am planning, baffles are already removed.
It won't hurt anything. Be sure to post pics if you do it.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You should be able to. Inside that 'back' end would be the baffles, which will have to be removed to do that (Good riddance!). In front of that is where it gets a little more complicated (eyeballing it, I don't think option three will work), that's where the cat converter is.

If it were me, I'd remove the baffles completely (It's pretty easy, I can walk you through it if you need), then I'd look inside at the 'plate' you'll see in there with another small opening, looks alot like your exhaust does NOW only further down. That's where the cat is. I would cut far enough in front of that, that you don't look at the back of the bike and see the ugly cats. ANOTHER option would be to cut in FRONT of the cats, but that would be a REALLY short exhaust...

If you look underneath the bike you can see the cat converter, it's not inline with the pipes, it's under the bike and sort of snakes around. That's the culprit. If you were pretty skilled, you could probably remove it and replace it with a welded piece of pipe inside the chrome shield. BUT, you'll possibly alter the A/F ratio and might need a programmer, and it will be super super loud without that cat! (Removing that cat and the baffles would make it a straight exhaust. Removing just the baffles makes it deeper and a little louder, but the cat still sucks up most of the noise)

EDIT: I don't know what I was looking at, option 3 will work. Any of the three cuts you have mocked up there would be behind that catalytic converter and thus not an issue. Just yank the baffles and cut!

·
Registered
102 Posts
A couple of days ago i had the same idea. I was looking at doing option 2. I am waiting for my 600 mile (1st) service to come tho. I figured if i don't like it i have an excuse to buy a set of V&Hs.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I just stumbled upon these;

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ37886#productFeedbackElement_description

I've never seen them before, but they might be an excellent option for you. Looks like you'll just cut the exhaust off at the cat, and then slip these on and bolt them in place. They look sort of like what you were planning, but have a great tone (listened to some YouTube videos) and include baffles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. I have already got the baffles out, I am only thinking of chopping around 250mm (10 inches for you boys in the states) which is just before the flange that the baffles were welded to. Now just waiting for a set of pipes to come up at a good price and I will give it a go and will put some pics up. This is what she looks like so far. I have cut my own front fender from a damaged original, chopped the rear fender and repositioned a bit lower to get rid of the massive gap, got rid of all that stuff hanging down at the back on the fender and repositioned licence plate, repositioned and change indicators to LED’s. Solo seat, de-baffled, moved foot boards forward, lowered 2 inches, new grips and a bit of black paint here and there as was all a bit neglected and rusty when I pick up. 200 tyre going on soon and chop the pipes. What next? any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
what you want to do won't affect any thing, your just taking the excess off

·
Registered
236 Posts
oh sorry, i just assumed since you were using the metric system
it never crossed my minds that someone this far away could have a vulcan

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
What did you use to cut them with ? did you have to remove them from the bike to cut

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
Man, that bike is sweet. I just showed my wife your photos and "mentioned" that I want another Vulcan like yours. I got the stink eye as usual. I don't want to give up my current Classic that we ride on trips though. I want one like yours to just jump on and rip!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Looks good to me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the comments, did the cutting with the pipes removed and used a cutting blade in my angle grinder. The cutting blade looks like a really thin grinding disk. Couple of practice cuts just to get the feel and all turned out well. Required a bit of hand filing and polishing and some heat resident black spray on the inside and all done. Probably a bit loader than standard pipes without baffles but sounds great.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
Looks great. Didn't realize the stock exhaust has a pipe with in a pipe, or did you add a baffle? :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Bosco, when i started cutting wasn't sure what i was going to find, i removed the baffles before i started cutting so they were out of the way. So yes the inner pipe was there, I presume this would be due to the heat build up, without the inner pie the chrome outer would probably get to hot and start to discolor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts