Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 08 vn900 custom with cobra swept exhaust, Cobra FI2000r fuel processor and just put on a hypercharger not to long ago. Before I put on the hypercharger I was getting 48-55 MPG and now I am only getting 34-38 MPG and most of that is on highway. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if there is anything i should be checking to get my MPG back up.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
1) Wrist-control - mine is an automatic response unit that attaches right behind the driver. It has a near instant reaction "bald headed slap" warning that reacts when too much throttle is applied. :D Sometimes I can almost feel that smack even when I'm ridin' solo! In all honesty, with debaffled pipes and the K&N stock replacement filter, I average between 45-48 instead of the 50+ most people claim, but I do tend to be heavier on the wrist. Adding fuel to the mixture (and power) to offset the aftermarked exhaust and extra air flow is just going to drain a bit more...

2) Maybe you've got it running a bit too rich? Have you checked the plugs?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am not heavy on the throttle most of the time I do it once an awhile when I really need to get up to speed quick. I have not checked the spark plugs yet because it seems to be difficult to get them out. This is one of the things I do not like about the Vulcan 900. I want to take it to a dealership intown but they have a 4 week waiting list of other bikes and the same thing with all the other bike shops near me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am not heavy on the throttle most of the time I do it once an awhile when I really need to get up to speed quick. I have not checked the spark plugs yet because it seems to be difficult to get them out. This is one of the things I do not like about the Vulcan 900. I want to take it to a dealership intown but they have a 4 week waiting list of other bikes and the same thing with all the other bike shops near me.
Umm, the plugs will take less than 10 min you don't have to remove the tank, you do have to pull the vent line on the from cylinder loose. It really isn't bad to do. only thing to be carefull of is not scratching anything while urning the ratchet.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well then if it is that easy I will do it myself thanks for the headsup. My manual says to take the tank off and I normally just go by that. I should just start asking questions here rather then reading the manual.

·
Registered
165 Posts
MPG at 42

I have a 08 vn900 custom with cobra swept exhaust, Cobra FI2000r fuel processor and just put on a hypercharger not to long ago. Before I put on the hypercharger I was getting 48-55 MPG and now I am only getting 34-38 MPG and most of that is on highway. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem or if there is anything i should be checking to get my MPG back up.
I don't know how people are getting this high. I measured and got about 42. Of course I drive mostly hwy and vary between 65 and 70. Bone stock. Also what I got compares to a review I read of the bike. Still better than a car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I forgot to mention that I also have the SW front pulley, but I don't think that would lower my MPG. Wouldn't a bigger front pulley help you MPG do to less rotation of the belt.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well then if it is that easy I will do it myself thanks for the headsup. My manual says to take the tank off and I normally just go by that. I should just start asking questions here rather then reading the manual.
I just did mine a few weeks ago 1 deep socket I think 3" ext. 3/8" drive and a magnet as you have to fish that plug out somehow. Even If you had to lift the tank it's good to ease into doing stuff and getting to know the bike. tuk a rolled up towel under the tank if you feel you want the clearance. Just be careful and midful of where eveythings at bars to tank, ratchet to tank. so you don't scratch it. If you need help were all here. I didn't lift the tank just took my time with a cold beverage no rush and no stress.

The manual is a great thing to read don't give up on it yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I average between 43 and 52 depending how I am riding and where I buy gas. I also push 6'2 and 345lbs so I am same as two up alone lol this bike seems to do well with my style of riding. I'm fairly aggressive. Some of the worst mileage came from easing around to see how much is gain from not riding so hard. It doesn't like lugging around it seems.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What is the fi2000 set at? Its only purpose is to add fuel. Try dialing it back a notch. I think they come set at 4-2-0, and that was way too rich for my setup, probably yours too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have the fi2000r set at 4-2-0. I have never changed it sense I got it. The bike sounded good and there was no backfire so I left it as it is. What do you have yours set at RLE?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Fully stock, my '07 Custom was getting 50+ mpg on every tank. This spring I put on a K&N filter (OEM replacement) and my first 2 tanks got me about 45mpg. I had also added Seafoam with my first tank this season so I'm hoping the drop was mostly due to the additive and will come back up. I'll let you know.

PS - won't touch seafoam again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the fi2000r set at 4-2-0. I have never changed it sense I got it. The bike sounded good and there was no backfire so I left it as it is. What do you have yours set at RLE?

I believe mine was set at 1.5-1 -0, with homemade intake, and cobra dragsters. Try that for a while and check youre plugs and pay attention to how it runs

·
Registered
77 Posts
i always get 6-10 percent better on my truck and motorcycle using pure gas.

Motorcycle-Bone Stock with mild debaffle...........48-55 mpg depending on how heavy my wrist is. 42-51 mpg using ethanol blended gas.

You can check here to see if you have pure gas available in your area.

http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
991 Posts
Wide and mighty

I average between 43 and 52 depending how I am riding and where I buy gas. I also push 6'2 and 345lbs so I am same as two up alone lol this bike seems to do well with my style of riding. I'm fairly aggressive. Some of the worst mileage came from easing around to see how much is gain from not riding so hard. It doesn't like lugging around it seems.
Gave me a chuckle this morning Big Dave....I let my little brother and his wife use my 900C as a tourer, set the suspension for my prodigious bulk...which worked good for them two up with lots of luggage...:D

to the mileage thing, 08 900C, BAK, Cobra HP 2to1, NO processor (yet) Regular gas, 45mpg (Canadian Gallon, bit bigger) Aggressive riding style.
Funny thing, my two up bike is an 04 V2K, similar goodies, NO processor, 700lb payload:D and I get 40-42mpg if I stay off the throttle. Little Bro and I stopped at the same time each fill and took similar amounts of fuel (within a quart or two):cool:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally got to look at one of the sparkplugs today, and it looked almost brand new. It looked to be burning well so I have no Idea what else to look at to make my MPG's get back up. I also went on a 230 mile ride and each time I fueled up It was only getting 35 MPG and that is doing 65mph. Maybe I just need to get use to it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I finally got to look at one of the sparkplugs today, and it looked almost brand new. It looked to be burning well so I have no Idea what else to look at to make my MPG's get back up. I also went on a 230 mile ride and each time I fueled up It was only getting 35 MPG and that is doing 65mph. Maybe I just need to get use to it.
I just filled up and averaged 36.4 all city driving tho no sustained speeds cept a 2 mile stretch at about 60mph on my 08, Classic stock

1 - 20 of 25 Posts