Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2008 VN900 Custom that I'm looking do some inexpensive mods to gain a little performance and noise. I've done a partial De-baffling on my stock exhaust so far only. I'm very happy with the sound of my bike. Now for the performance I'm thinking of the Redneck Airbox mod that has posted on this forum. My question or concern would be leaning the bike out too much. With the stock exhaust and the airbox mod will I need to buy a fuel programmer??? Or will I be OK? Also the next filter I buy will be the new K&N filter, so I will gain better air flow that way as well.
just looking for your experiences and knowlege to help me decide.....

Thanks

·
Registered
122 Posts
I too have the same questions... I have aftermarket pipes but want to do the air box mod, I just don't want to have to get a fuel computer as the cost is a bit prohibative at the moment.
I have intentions of changing the stock air filter out with a K&N at the end of this riding season..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Change the volume of air coming in you're going to need a fuel management system or similar device to correct the now too lean mixture. You will be alright with just an aftermarket exhaust

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I've got a 2008 VN900 Custom that I'm looking do some inexpensive mods to gain a little performance and noise. I've done a partial De-baffling on my stock exhaust so far only. I'm very happy with the sound of my bike. Now for the performance I'm thinking of the Redneck Airbox mod that has posted on this forum. My question or concern would be leaning the bike out too much. With the stock exhaust and the airbox mod will I need to buy a fuel programmer??? Or will I be OK? Also the next filter I buy will be the new K&N filter, so I will gain better air flow that way as well.
just looking for your experiences and knowlege to help me decide.....

Thanks
Your spark plugs will tell you right away if you are running too lean. The porcelain will be stone white with no tan or brown areas. Even worse, there will be little metal specks stuck to the porcelain and the electrodes will have rounded edges. From all I have read just doing the debaffle and opening up the air cleaner doesn't effect the a/f ratio noticeably.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts