Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm shopping for a new bike and the 900 custom is on top of the list :) Seems like a great bike with great features. However I have a question regarding handling that I did not see around here.

The 900 custom has a very large front wheel, and consequently a very long trail which impacts handling. It's at 7.2 in, which is a full inch more than the shadow spirit 750, and 1.5 inches more than the V Star 950, both of which I have test driven. The V Star handling was excellent, felt very light and responsive. The Shadow was not as good. It required significantly more effort to steer.

Having never tried the 900 custom, and knowing its trail is even longer than the shadow, I'm wondering how it handles, at all kinds of speeds. Is that big front wheel a problem?

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Not a problem. At very low speeds, 5 mph, etc, the handling is heavy, but at anything higher speed wise you don't notice or experience any heaviness. Handling is very good for a cruiser. And the heaviness at very low speeds is adjusted to within a day or so.

Don't let this bother you or be the deciding factor. It's not an issue on a cruiser.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not a problem. At very low speeds, 5 mph, etc, the handling is heavy, but at anything higher speed wise you don't notice or experience any heaviness. Handling is very good for a cruiser. And the heaviness at very low speeds is adjusted to within a day or so.

Don't let this bother you or be the deciding factor. It's not an issue on a cruiser.
I agree with this 100%

·
Registered
54 Posts
The 900 Custom is such a great bike. I don't think you can find another bike in the price range with the same features. I live in the mountains of east Tennessee, where all the roads are hilly and curvy and the Custom is a dream to ride. I've never ridden a better handling cruiser. My Harley riding friends can't keep up with me in the mountains.
Personally, I like the look and feel of the 21" front wheel. It has a traditional look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Appreciate the feedback.

+1 on all of the above. I love the way this thing handles, and I'm a sportbike guy!
I'm coming from a sport/street bike too, glad to see you like it.

I have my eye on a 2009 SE. Going to see it tomorrow. Can't wait. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
It handles great.

I am just coming back to the "Cruiser Hood" from 10 years of having Triumph`s(2-Sprint ST`s and a Trophy 1200), I love my 900 custom, it rails thru the corners.I am still riding pretty aggressively and it has handled everything I have thrown at it. Very confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I rotate between my zx6r and the vulcan and have no issues. You just have to keep yourself in the mindset that you are riding a cruiser. It isn't going to have the screaming power or leaning capabilities of a sportbike, but its a blast to just cruise and and is very smooth sweeping through corners. Its overall a fantastic bike and i enjoy it so much im on my 2nd one.

·
Registered
492 Posts
You need to test ride a 900 Custom. They handle very well at all cruiser type speeds. A little slow at very low speeds but you will adapt quickly. What I like best is the fact that it isn't twitchy at 75 mph like my old 1979 Yamaha 650 Special.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You will love the Custom. Make sure you don't pay too much for an 09. There are many new dealers on eBay selling left over 09's for $5,699. Either find one on eBay near you or have your local dealer match that price so they don't rip you for $7k.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You will love the Custom. Make sure you don't pay too much for an 09. There are many new dealers on eBay selling left over 09's for $5,699. Either find one on eBay near you or have your local dealer match that price so they don't rip you for $7k.
Wish I would have visited this site before I bought mine now, I paid $7700.00 for one off the showroom floor, and that price included a few discounts. Fortunately I am not sorry about the purchase, this bike is fantastic, much smoother than my previous HD Super Glide Sport.

As to the OP, handling is great on the Custom. As stated it is a little heavy at really low speeds but beyond that it is a well balanced, easy cornering cruiser. I love this bike.

Later,
Darknight

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just returned from a 1,600+ mile trip from detroit, Mi to east Tennessee. My friend and I rode all the well known bike roads in the smokey mountain area and my '09 900 custom handled like a dream. Like one of the other posters said, it is not a sportbike but it handles fantastically for the type of bike it is. It is easy to hold your line through a corner and the steering isn't heavy at all in my opinion. Get whatever type of bike that fits you most comfortably, that will be by far more important than this "issue".

Adam

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really like the way the 900 custom handle's.I have a 75 R90S BMW...that doesn't handle like the vulcan....I wish had two of them......

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the classic LT version, and it handles great. My last bike was a CBR if that tells you anything. Best handling cruiser I've ever been on. Rides great even with a passenger.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I would love to see a stiff spring option for us. Isnt our bikes use VN800 forks? If thats the case...RaceTech makes stiff front springs.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I learned on my friends 2006 Honda Shadow 750 and in my opinion the 900 Custom handles better with a bit of more power and more stable at highway speed. The 900 Custom was named #1 bike over the new Honda Shadow Phantom, Harley Davidson Sporster 883 & Yamha V Star 950. Check it out for yourself

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/6061/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Middleweight-Cruiser-Shootout.aspx

Do keep in mind the vn900's tend to rev high at speeds over 65mph but will ease arround 80mph and can top at arround 115mph. It has enough power to cruse, pass & 2up even when fully loaded with trunk and bags.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I learned on my friends 2006 Honda Shadow 750 and in my opinion the 900 Custom handles better with a bit of more power and more stable at highway speed. The 900 Custom was named #1 bike over the new Honda Shadow Phantom, Harley Davidson Sporster 883 & Yamha V Star 950. Check it out for yourself

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/10/6061/Motorcycle-Article/2010-Middleweight-Cruiser-Shootout.aspx
Nice article.

Well, after reading all the replies in this thread, I decided to go for it. Bought a 2009 custom special edition. Just drove it home today. I agree that the handling is excellent. You do feel the size of the front wheel at slower speeds, but the bike handles great at medium and high speeds. Can't wait for the week-end!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts