Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I've been riding for a few years now and decided to go from a sport bike to a cruiser. Once I saw the 900 custom I had to have it. Brought mine home this weekend.
ImageUploadedByMO Free1358785858.998700.jpg
ImageUploadedByMO Free1358785872.225573.jpg

I haven't even had a chance to take it out because of the snow but I already have the itch to mod.

I was looking into this exhaust

http://www.meancycles.com/store/parts/view.cfm?partID=216326

Does anyone have any feedback on this exhaust? Also what other mods are a must have firsts?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Britt stuff is supposed to be good stuff ... but the comments about the powder coating would annoy me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Get some grips...make a big difference. Maybe the LED brake light and turn signal from Low and Mean. It really cleans up the rear end.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Depends on what you're going for. If you're looking for sound improvement, go with some mods to the stock exhaust before you spend money. I drilled holes in the end plate of my baffles and the plug out of the center. My pipes sound great now.

I've only had my 900 Custom for 8 months now. I've got aftermarket grips and bags on mine and my next purchase will be a new seat. The seat should have been the priority. Kawi's OEM seat is HORRENDOUS! It's been described as a three-finger prostate exam.

·
Registered
3 Posts
John, had a 2007 900 Custom - best bike I ever owned. Had it lowered 1", put a 235 Venom back tire on it and a Big Air kit(which I installed myself -so it can't be too hard). Changed out the handlebars - personal thing. Put different risers, from Scootworks, and buckhorns on it. Had a Windvest windshield. Got 50 mpg, was comfortable to ride - sold it to a friend, 2 years ago, when it had 25,000 miles on it and it is still going strong. Oh, and I had Roadburner black pipes on it - great sound. They are made by DG, excellent pipes. Hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I did mine. Also put a Mustang seat on it which helped a lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
mc Exhaust

I ride a 1500 classic , however that model of the 900 is brilliant and they look a million dollars on the road. Ive seen one and heard one with the exhaust you mentioned and they are very nice sounding

CB

·
Registered
256 Posts
Got the same bike and went with a solo seat and cobra powerflo filter. drilled 6 holes in the baffle for a deeper sound before investing in new pipes. you may want to try the debafflig option before buying pipes

·
Registered
39 Posts
great looking bike as stock. i have the 2009 version and the first thing i done was to change all the lens covers to clear they also look really good in smoke, quit cheap to do and makes the bike look really different since then i have added v&h twin slash cuts in black a la choppers big air kit and a cobra fi 2000r and removed the butterflies (no cost at all and improves throttle response ) and i have only had the bike about 4 months but it now looks sounds and rides great i am looking at a new seat next as i am sure you will find out the stock seat is the worst i have ever sat on after an hour on it you feel like someone has kicked you up the arse and if you are going to ride 2 up its just about big enough for a small child let alone the other half but welcome to the club and i am sure you will have as much fun riding and changing the bike as i have :):)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Trust me on this, FIRST thing you must change is the STOCK SEAT. Huge difference.
Personally, I just installed Freedom Performance Exhaust & man am I a happy camper :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
Depends on what look you're going for and of course your budget. You can get as carried away as you want, but I've seen all kinds of mods including the huge list I did to mine. Some like the look of the bobber style and others like the outlaw look. Whatever you choose, make it your own and have fun with the customizing. For me, pipes and the 240 back wheel/tire were musts.

·
Registered
227 Posts
That was my first mod!! My bike had about 20mi. on it!
Looks like you still have the first screen in the middle pipe !?
Shouldn't that go at stage 1 debaffle?

·
Registered
228 Posts
question,when is it the stock seat is painful? I have ridden mine about 140 miles at one time and the seat is ok.I am 5 ft 9,weigh 190 lbs.maybe I have been lucky.For me the low and mean taillight mod is the only thing the bike needs plus drilling holes as some have done.These are the coolest looking bikes stock i have seen anywhere.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
question,when is it the stock seat is painful? I have ridden mine about 140 miles at one time and the seat is ok.I am 5 ft 9,weigh 190 lbs.maybe I have been lucky.For me the low and mean taillight mod is the only thing the bike needs plus drilling holes as some have done.These are the coolest looking bikes stock i have seen anywhere.
Depends. There are a select few who seem to 'fit' the stock seat. For me, 30 minutes or so and it was time to get OFF. 15 minutes and it was uncomfortable.

Got a Mustang seat though, and I'm good for 2-3 hours. After that, it's time to get up. Coincidentally, it's time for gas too! Just the short break to stand up and refuel is all I need after a couple hours of riding on the Mustang. Contrastly, on the stock seat if I'd ride for 45 minutes I'd need to be off for 15 minutes otherwise it would hurt getting back on!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts