Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody raised the seat height on the VN900 Classic.
I was thinking of possibly having the seat remoulded to raise the height to make it easier to lift my legs on to the footboards.
when commuting and stuck in stop/start traffic it seems awkward shifting feet up and down.
I could manage longer reach to ground as original seat is obviously quite low, but would relationsip to rear brake and gear lever be wrong if seat higher. hope this makes sense.
Regards,Enrico

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
You could always add a gel pad that may raise the height a bit. Would let you know if that helps your riding position.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I commute daily on my VN900 Classic.
I had used an Airhawk-R seat for a while. It did help, but did not raise the height enough for me.
In order to raise my seated position, I peeled back the seat cover and cut out and removed the center of the foam. I cut and shaped a two inch thick slab of an old solid ethafoam archery target to fill the cavity. It forms a firm, flat chair-like platform instead of the stock deep-dish saddle and raised my height about two inches over top of the wind screen. I cut and stacked 3/4 inch thick sheets of firm polyethelene foam in a stair-step fashion toward the front of the seat, bonded together with spray adhesive, and covered it all with one inch layer of memory-foam. I stretched the cover over the whole assembly and restapled.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For a quick check/test, take a bath towel and fold it several times, place the towel on your seat and take a short ride. Fold or unfold the towel to "adjust" the height and see what you think. If you find you like a new height then start looking for a more permanent answer such a adding more foam to your stock seat and having it recovered. This may be just a quick and cheap way to test things out.

On occasion I use a black hand towel on top of my seat to add a little padding and allow me to move around (fidget) on the really hot days here in Florida. When seated nobody can see it on the bike and. When I get off I pick up the towel and set it on the tank covering the speedo. When I come back to the bike, simply resold the towel and set it back on the seat.

... Larry S.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Use gardening knee pads that you get at Home Depot. They stick to anything and you could layer them up till you find the best height for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts