Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just removed my gas tank and noticed my petcock has a slow leak, looking for a new petcock to fit a 1998 vn800b if anyone knows of any or who carries them. Would rather replace then rebuilt since many have issues with the rebuild kit not working

Sent from my Nexus S

·
Registered
346 Posts
Just removed my gas tank and noticed my petcock has a slow leak, looking for a new petcock to fit a 1998 vn800b if anyone knows of any or who carries them. Would rather replace then rebuilt since many have issues with the rebuild kit not working

Sent from my Nexus S
You can completely rebuild it unless it's damaged beyond repair or rebuild. :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I've looked around alot and haven't found any "direct fit" aftermarket petcocks for an 800 classic, looking for more of a custom look but if there aren't any other options I think I just need to go ahead and rebuild mine to prevent any future damage from it leaking. Any input on either replacement petcocks or if you have had any good or bad rebuild kits

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Just replace it. Lot's of stories on here about failed rebuilds. Check with your local Kaw dealer. About $80. It will save you a lot of trouble.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally got my petcock delivered and installed, leak gone! Even got a little lucky and found a site selling the original part # 51023-1219 and ended up with the new replacement 51023-1260 being shipped saving $25 since the 1260 is priced higher for some reason. Think if anything it may have better o-rings but I couldn't tell any difference from the outside

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Great!

Finally got my petcock delivered and installed, leak gone! Even got a little lucky and found a site selling the original part # 51023-1219 and ended up with the new replacement 51023-1260 being shipped saving $25 since the 1260 is priced higher for some reason. Think if anything it may have better o-rings but I couldn't tell any difference from the outside

Glad you found a new one. You saved a lot of time going that route in lieu of rebuilds that don't work. Thanks for the update an the new P/Ns! It's appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would have really liked an aftermarket petcock just for a little more of a custom look but I'll keep an eye out for something I could swap out the plan black knob, but ronayers.com has best shipped price especially ordering 51023-1219 and should get a free upgrade unless they figured out the loophole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts