1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,115 Posts
I don't know about using them on a motorcycle, but the main cons with silicone hoses are that they often require different clamps (thinner walls so some OEM clamps may not fit properly), and they just don't seal well in general and a prone to leaks.

They are usually more expensive than rubber hoses, so those cheap Chinese hoses may be very poor quality and not the bargain they appear to be.

Pros: they can take more heat and last longer.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't know about using them on a motorcycle, but the main cons with silicone hoses are that they often require different clamps (thinner walls so some OEM clamps may not fit properly), and they just don't seal well in general and a prone to leaks.

They are usually more expensive than rubber hoses, so those cheap Chinese hoses may be very poor quality and not the bargain they appear to be.

Pros: they can take more heat and last longer.
I second this with one exception. The durability just isn't there from what I've seen. I've seen a lot of failures after a relatively short use both on my vehicle and several others.

I had one on my old Courier pickup (upper rad hose), and it lasted about 40k miles and split on the outside curve of one of the elbows. Nothing else wrong, and only a 13 psi system. Stopped at a light, heard a "whoosh" type sound, and a whole lotta steam came out. No obvious cuts or contact issues, just looked like the inner braid failed. At the shop, we've had several bikes come in with issues using these hoses (or similar). I've heard timeframes from "a couple months" to 3 years, and they have the bike trailered in with a hose failure.

Because of this, I stick to the more traditional hoses.

Just my opinion...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts