Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.. New here and interesting problem. 86 Vulcan 750 while riding it shut down as if I hit kill switch. Nothing on switch. No lights horn. Nothing. Pushed home check main fuse and all others. Fine. Battery shows .01 volts! Here's where it gets interesting. Put charger on to bring battery up and seems like bike is trying to engage...or starter engage..or something. The key was in my pocket. I disconnected battery and here we are. Any ideas?

·
Registered
157 Posts
With a voltage reading that low, you most likely have an electrical short somewhere. And your battery is probably not going to recover.

Did everything seem normal until it died, no loss of power, lights working etc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Everything was perfect. Just riding along...made a turn and poof...nothing. Going to start from behind under the ignition switch in the morning I think and go from there. Already checked all wiring from tank back including all stator and rr wiring and fuse box wires. Time to check front half

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
I do not like to shoo people away from this forum, but try vn750.com
Those machines are a strange bird and have lots of idiosyncracies, and most of them they are aware of over there.
If you are unsuccessful, post back and we can help.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I agree with sfair. not much traffic for the 700/750.try checking the ground from battery to frame,then all your grounds

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually I found a wire burned under the tank. Wire that goes to the fuel gauge. Wouldn't have thought it would cause that much problem but after noticing that the wire tied into every other connection in the bike. It then made sense . As far as the battery flattened, I was able to bring it back from death. Purchased another bike for parts to put new harness in and no issues thus far. Thanks all!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
bingo!!!!!check your battery to frame ground, as for some reason that wire becomes hot when that ground goes

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Hi Doc. I just found this site. Its been a year since I was on vn750.cm (Chris and Shim).

I don't remember hearing about this sort of thing in my time there. Mostly a bike just stopping had to do with POOGs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts