Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 750 Vulcan it starts up fine but is only running on front cylindars new plugs, decent wires. any ideas?

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
1. What year is it?
2. How many miles?
3. How long have you owned?
4. Have you done any work to it?

Post back.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vn 750

2 years
new stator, voltage reg, fuse box, plugs, ignitor box, I am thinking coil but want a second opinion

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
You did not mention anything about carbs.
At that year and mileage, the carbs are due for a tear-down, clean, inspection,adjustment and replacement of any suspect parts.
Even if it does not fix your problem, it will be time and money well spent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
v

old onbes wasn't bad, but we put new ones in I grabbed hold of plug while cranking and held it to block and nothing , I am thinking coil? but was looking for second opinion

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Need to check those plugs. If you have an ignition problem, the plug from the questionable cylinder should be fuel soaked. Is it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You stated new stator. One thing that can happen is the wiring for the coil pickups can get rubbed by the spinning drum and be either shorted or cut. Run you a wire from the battery positive directly to the coil, coil wire loose from the harness of course, ONLY tapping it to the hot side WHILE both plug wires are LOOSE from the plugs in the engine. Use a plug in one of the wire boots to touch the engine for grounding.

When I bought my bike the rear cylinder wasn't firing. Turned out to be a cracked left side plug boot (pin hole) allowing the firing to be shorted out to both rear plugs.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
Run you a wire from the battery positive directly to the coil, coil wire loose from the harness of course, ONLY tapping it to the hot side WHILE both plug wires are LOOSE from the plugs in the engine. Use a plug in one of the wire boots to touch the engine for grounding.

Doing this could put your ignitor at risk if it remains connected.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doing this could put your ignitor at risk if it remains connected.
That is correct! Do not tie in solid!

Not solid connected, Just a quick tap and release. Just besure plug wire are disconnected from the engine and jumped to ground to see if you have spark. Plug wires still on the engine can cause a major backfire!! But that is why is said coil loose (disconnected) from the harness. Just testing the coil here. Don't need the back feed voltage to the ignitor. As state before, my bike drop a cylinder and it turned out to be a pinhole in the plug boot. Firing going to nearest ground.

·
Registered
11,754 Posts
I am confused. If the ignitor is removed from the equation, as it should be, where is the ground path for the coil primary?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts