Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all from Alabama.
I picked up my 2008 VN2K on Father's Day! My very first cruiser. Taking it slow with only going down to the end of my street ( 2miles each direction ) and back getting use to the weight/torque/balancing/handling.
My question to everyone is this.... should it sound normal when I put her in 1st that there is a very LOUD and felt CLUNK ? all other gears shift up and down fine, it's just that initial from neutral shift that it makes the noise.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The clunk into first is common on many bikes. Without seeing or hearing it, it's hard to say if it's an issue or not. As long as it doesn't jerk forward when it happens it should be fine. Also, make sure your clutch cable is adjusted properly. Owner's manual will explain it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CRU.... so far it has not jerked or even offered to move until I start into the friction zone with the clutch.
I plan on taking it to the local dealer-shop just to have a once over done on her , as I am now the 3rd owner.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
Agree with CRU, a lot of bikes, especially cruisers, have a clunk when shifting in the lower gears and some even in the higher gears. As long as it shifts easily, it is probably OK.

Some people like the clunk. I do. I've only had two bikes, both cruisers (Honda Sabre and the Voyager) and they both had the clunk. Test drove a Victory Boardwalk and it had a more pronounced clunk than either of my bikes. Some people get really annoyed that they have to put up with it and even will get rid of a bike just because they can't stand the clunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It doesn't bother me as long as it is " supposed " to be there. It sounds kinda cool, like it's ready to come to life and roar on down that long slow winding road....

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hi there like CRU stated without actually hearing it it's hard to tell if your bike's clunk is normal or not , I suggest you take it to a mechanic or try locating another VN2K owner near your area and let them listen to it, better safe than sorry, good luck.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Those are some big, straight cut gears in there. Even after the idle comes down (you do let it come down, right?) there is an authorative clunk into first.

Since there is no tach it's hard to gauge the idle speed, but that might be a consideration too. If you mess with it don't go too low. It's not a Hardley.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts