Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the forum. Any forum for that matter. Reaching out to others experiencing bad vibrations from their vn2000. Like hands and feet going numb bad. I’ve replaced hand grips with vibration dampening ones, but still doesn’t help. I’ve tried putting rubber seals on my pipe brackets. I’ve checked the engine mounts. It’s all solid. The bike went from the nicest ride ever, to almost unridable. WTF ?

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,917 Posts
hey, sorry nobody responded. I use to check these forums several times a day. now? Meh...

anyways.. how long have you had the bike? i wasn't able to tell from the post if this is a new bike to you and it's been doing this since you got it.. or had it awhile and it just started this issue.

Anyways.. the biggest culprit of shaking/vibration is actually the tires.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeh I got vibes too. I put rubber washers on the exhaust mounts and it helped a little but would love to sort it proper. Its mostly engine related pulses on my bike. If you haven't already, try loosening all exhaust connections(not too much) to relax any stress they may be under, start the bike and idle for a couple of minutes and then tighten things back up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you made any mods to the bike. Like adding or removing windshield or lowers? Sometimes what feels like bike vibrations can turn out to be wind buffering or buffeting. Does it vibrate at all speeds. If not, try placing your Palm down against where the wind is coming up toward you and if the vibration gets less than your probably having wind issues. If it's not that than I'd agree with the comment about it being the tires.If not the tires, an engine vibration can be coming from nearly any moving part in the engine or transmission. But if it's vibrating that bad it want be long before the problem manifests itself.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I’ve done nothing to this bike but ad an electric tech throttle advance kit, and some 3” straight pipes. The vibe’s not coming from the tires because soon as I pull in the clutch it all turns to butter again. Let out the clutch n my teeth are shaken. Bike is 2005. This vibration should have caused damage by now, but it starts n runs like a Toyota every year. Driving me nuts ????

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah that dif sounds internal. If it was my I'd start with the cheapest and easiest fix which would be the clutch. My 04 v2k had set in storage for a long time before I bought it and had some vibrations that would stop when I pulled in the clutch. I ordered new clutch plates and installed them myself. It did make a difference, not only in vibrations but also in how the bike shifted. I forgot what the cost was but it wasn't very much and as long as you take your time it's really not hard to do. Looks scarier than what it really is. I took pics at each step of the way and made sure to put everything back in order. Didn't have any issues. Unless your hearing something like loud bearings or knocking sounds then my guess would be the clutch. These bikes are meant to be driving often and although the clutch plates don't actually set in oil, they will tend to get heavier at the bottoms of the plates of they set for long periods. And any small weight differences can cause allot of vibrations.
Confirming your not getting any oil in or around your intake breather. Like maybe there's to much oil? That can cause one to vibrate. Have you taken a look at your spark plugs to see if there's any sign of fouling. That can cause vibrations, but you'd also be noticing a drop in engine performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Also, how many miles on the bike?
You mentioned that the motor mounts were tight. These bikes have a unique way of adjusting the mounts, using a feeler gauge and torque wrench. Have there been any adjustments made to the mounts?

·
Registered
893 Posts
I would say, if the vibrations stop when pulling the clutch witch actually I see as disconnecting the engine from the rear wheel, can they be from the rear wheel assembly/ bearings?

I would check if, when ridding, you pulled the clutch and rev the engine to determine if hte vibration is coming from the engine or somewhere after the clutch plates.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah that dif sounds internal. If it was my I'd start with the cheapest and easiest fix which would be the clutch. My 04 v2k had set in storage for a long time before I bought it and had some vibrations that would stop when I pulled in the clutch. I ordered new clutch plates and installed them myself. It did make a difference, not only in vibrations but also in how the bike shifted. I forgot what the cost was but it wasn't very much and as long as you take your time it's really not hard to do. Looks scarier than what it really is. I took pics at each step of the way and made sure to put everything back in order. Didn't have any issues. Unless your hearing something like loud bearings or knocking sounds then my guess would be the clutch. These bikes are meant to be driving often and although the clutch plates don't actually set in oil, they will tend to get heavier at the bottoms of the plates of they set for long periods. And any small weight differences can cause allot of vibrations.
Confirming your not getting any oil in or around your intake breather. Like maybe there's to much oil? That can cause one to vibrate. Have you taken a look at your spark plugs to see if there's any sign of fouling. That can cause vibrations, but you'd also be noticing a drop in engine performance.
You may be onto something with the clutch. When the bike sits for a long time(off season), I get a knocking sound right inside the clutch housing when I start it up. The knocking goes away once it warms up, but there could still be something just off centre enough to cause a vibration. This bike also has a unique oil level issue. If I fill it to the “proper level” when the engine’s cold, it expands when it gets hot, and blows back through my air box, and causes a big mess. So I always fill it a bit low, and when it gets hot it won’t blowback. Weird I know. But the oil level does expand when it gets hot. Always has. I’ll take it to a shop to have the clutch replaced. Everything I touch seems to go wrong, so Im not attempting that. Thx for the tips. Any idea why the clutch knocks cold ?

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
You may be onto something with the clutch. When the bike sits for a long time(off season), I get a knocking sound right inside the clutch housing when I start it up. The knocking goes away once it warms up, but there could still be something just off centre enough to cause a vibration. This bike also has a unique oil level issue. If I fill it to the “proper level” when the engine’s cold, it expands when it gets hot, and blows back through my air box, and causes a big mess. So I always fill it a bit low, and when it gets hot it won’t blowback. Weird I know. But the oil level does expand when it gets hot. Always has. I’ll take it to a shop to have the clutch replaced. Everything I touch seems to go wrong, so Im not attempting that. Thx for the tips. Any idea why the clutch knocks cold ?
I have an 04 that knocks and vibrates when it sits for a while but I always assumed that it was the hydraulic lifters that were causing the issue because it goes away when warm. Also, I am not sure when Kawi went to the double bearing in the driven hub/vibration dampner but when my single bearing let go there were a lot of squeeks and random vibrations as a precurser to the eventual failure in Deadwood... The one and only time I took my bike to a dealer for an oilchange they over-filled it. It vibrated and blew oil out the air cleaner. The tech did not know the proper procedure for checking the oil. Just kept pouring it in until it registered on the dipstick, which takes about 7 quarts in the USA.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts