Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first I apologize if this question has a thread somewhere, but I could not find one trying to search for it.

The issue I am having is when I go to start my 2004 vulcan 2000 for the first time(cold start, but its 70° in the morning so not "cold"), the bike electrics will turn on like normal, but then it just cranks and cranks... I've so far been able to get it to start on the third cycle of the ignition and starting sequence. Im curious if it is a fuel pump issue? Maybe not fully priming? It might just be in my head but I feel the fuel pump sound is slightly louder on the cycle that the bike then starts right up. Has a full or mostly full tank of gas, and thus far has only had this issue the first start after sitting overnight. On my ride home, or stopping say for gas, it starts up fine. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Craig G.
Pittsburgh PA

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
Never have to apologize for any question on this forum. Everyone here is glad to help. After the bike does start, I am assuming it runs and performs normally. The fuel pump should prime I a couple of seconds and the FI light should go out a couple of seconds afterwards. Since starts fine the rest of the day, would assume fuel pump is OK. How are the normal items like air filter, spark plugs, battery connections. Would use some Seafoam fuel additive. Seems to work wonders with these bikes. I do not have your model and the V2k is a pretty complex machine. Maybe some V2k owners will have some additional wisdom to bestow on the situation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll check on the FI light going out before starting... but honestly I want to say it was on, it most definitely flashes while I'm cranking. Am I just not waiting long enough? I don't feel I'm rushing the process... but would it take longer for the FI light to go out the first start up after sitting overnight? I would have assumed it should be the same time frame no matter when you turn on the ignition and prime the pump.

Craig G.

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
The FI light should go out after the oil pressure light goes out.
If the FI light is staying on after starting, that signals a fault in the FI system which usually triggers a stored fault code. Here is a link to an online factory repair manual FI page. Also, the FI light stays on while cranking? Does it do this after using the bike and then restarting? If it is only on the initial start then the FI system needs checking. It is complicated on your bike so do some reading first. Get back to us with anything that Is hard to understand. We will try to help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The FI light should go out after the oil pressure light goes out.
If the FI light is staying on after starting, that signals a fault in the FI system which usually triggers a stored fault code. Here is a link to an online factory repair manual FI page. Also, the FI light stays on while cranking? Does it do this after using the bike and then restarting? If it is only on the initial start then the FI system needs checking. It is complicated on your bike so do some reading first. Get back to us with anything that Is hard to understand. We will try to help.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood... and i double checked on the ride home... my FI light turns on when I turn the key on, kinda flashes as it is cranking... and goes out once the bike is running. Which seems correct to what I've read. And again, as usual, the bike fired up fine for the ride home. When the no start situation occurs in the mornings, the bike just cranks, no popping or sorta starting... i turn the key off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on, attempt to start... then like I said, oddly specifically the third cycle through, it fires up like it should nice and quick.

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
Great, there isn’t any issue with the fuel injection. I wonder if this has something to do with the decompression system. It has a 10 amp fuse. I don’t know what number fuse, so just check them all. This sure is a puzzle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bike does crank decent though... doesn't the decompression system mainly function to make the motor easier to turn over? I will look the fuses over just to see.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, the fuses all look good, and this morning, it started fine... first attempt. Yay for intermittent problems, lol. I'm maybe wondering a loose connection in the ignition system. As when it doesnt start, it cranks and cranks with zero pops or stumbling... but on the cycle that it starts, it fires up immediately and as normal. Again without sputtering or anything. 🤷‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
Excellent CRG! I guess the mystery will remain just that. Glad it healed itself. Be well and Ride Safely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately did not go away long... and this time it did it when I stopped for gas... took about 4 or 5 cycles until it started up... its so strange, it acts like you turned off an ignition kill switch... just crank, cycle key, just crank, cycle key, just cranks and cranks, cycle the key... again, then cran...vroom! Starts just like it should have on the first crank over.

Anyone got any ideas or hear of this issue before?

Craig G.

·
Super Moderator
1,466 Posts
What is the age of your battery? Can’t think of anything else. The bike cranks then it starts, so all the systems are working once it gets started. Or a component is starting to go bad and will eventually fail. Or a connection is intermittently connecting and then not. Maybe that fuel pump is taking time to build up enough pressure with all the cranking. There is a procedure in the manual for checking the pump. Wish could offer more help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will look into the fuel pump check, to eliminate that possiblity. Initially the fuel pump not priming was what I was thinking, but one would think it would sputter or pop a little at least attempting to start on low fuel pressure... but maybe not if there's not enough pressure to open the injectors? I bought this bike about a month ago, so I've got no clue on the battery age... for as much as I was cranking some of these trys it wasn't wearing down, so I hope that's a good sign.

Thanks,
Craig G.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My wife used to have a drifter and sometimes it didn't want to start. turned out the fuel pump was weak. Could be that. My FI light goes out as soon as it starts cranking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So, I just biked my bike up from getting it inspected(appointment made before this current issue) and I had mentioned the occasional not starting issue, and to maybe look into it if the bike did it to them. Of course the bike never had its issue whil e they had tried to start it, but amazingly, it does it as im trying to start the bike to pull it out with their head mechanic standing there... on the 4th key cycle, he noticed the pump sound get much louder(with him down at the tank with his ear to it) and knew it should start that time... which it did. He suggested that the pump itself is going bad, and would be where he would start.

So now I'm pricing fuel pumps as th we factory setup is sending unit and all, its almost $600.... so i will be installing an aftermarket replacement pump into the sending unit(which I've done on car fuel senders a few times). But my question now is is there a better/reputable brand I should look for? I see thdm listed from $30 all the way to $150 but I've never heard of any of these companies and all thd pumps look identical in the pictures. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Perfect, thank you! This was one brand I was considering as they seemed to have decent support.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts