Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 VN2000 I bought new last fall from a dealership. It had 2 miles on it. I currently have a little over 1000 mi on it. Here is the issue. From day one, if you get slightly high on RPM before you switch gear you will get a "rattling" from the left side of the engine. It will do this no matter what gear you are in. And if you are in high gear and cruising you can also hear it. I took it back to the dealership and the 20ish something "mechanics" said it was nothing to worry about and they would document it. I really think it may be a valve or push rod issue. Has anyone else had this problem? I have checked all over the bike for loose parts, etc. but everything is solid.

Also, prior to this I had a Vulcan 1500 Classic and never had this kind of engine noise.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I owned a '05 Classic 1600 and now have an '06 Classic VN 2000 LT. Overall, I have to say Kawasaki has some of the noisiest engines I've ever heard! It doesn't hurt the performance any, but can be annoying. I did have a "rattle" caused by the brackets around the upper shocks. I gently pryed the ring away on both sides and the noise went away! Also, make sure your running "premium" fuel to avoid "spark-knock" or "pinging". Another common problem with the V2K's is the "chirping" sound that the injectors make at around 68 to 70 mph. Lot's of V2K's have this noise and or drive belt squeal. With all the qwirky noises, I still enjoy mine. The aftermarket Cobra pipes has helped to hide the noise :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

Thanks for the info. I am running premium anf have tried everthing else. It is really annoying to have all the noise. Especially when Japanese manufacture'ers have always prided themselves on precision!

·
Registered
240 Posts
You're right about the noise, but the majority of V2k owners that talk about their rides ( VROC site and Delphi forums) wouldn't give them up for anything! When I first traded my 1600 for the 2000, I thought I'd made a mistake. After 3200 miles, I now think I made the right choice. I often ride 2-up with the wife, and we both feel much more comfortable, even at low speeds. Although my 1600 was a great bike, the comfort and power isn't close to the V2K. The plus side of most Vulcans is reliability (no bike is bullet-proof), even after high mileage. I think every bike has it's strengths and weaknesses, but I believe the Vulcan line is a great machine for the money, even with the noise ;) :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
My rattle came from the lower brake resevior near the right toe rear brake. I removed the chrome cover and placed a piece of bicycle tire in between the cover and the resivor . No more rattle.

·
Registered
1 Posts
when i shift my vn2000 it seems like it shifts realy hard im afraid i might hurt it is this normal to have a hard hitting shift

·
Registered
53 Posts
when i shift my vn2000 it seems like it shifts realy hard im afraid i might hurt it is this normal to have a hard hitting shift
They have clunky transmissions. I can only guess that they have some large gear stacks that have considerable mass? It shifts better than the M109 I had but not as smooth as my Harley.

·
Registered
240 Posts
The tranny's are noisy because kawasaki uses straight-cut gears on the V2K. You can make it a little "quieter" with 20W-50W oil or synthetic, but personally, I like the "CLUNK" when I put it in gear. I still think the shifting is deliberate, but smooth, IMO.;)

·
Registered
538 Posts
When I first bought my V2K, it made so much noise I used to get off and do a walk around just to make sure something wasn't about to fall off. I have been riding over 45 years I have never had a motorcycle that made this much noise. But I love the bike and I'll put up with it.........kinda like an ugly dog or saddle horse.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I see you didn't quote me, but you make this remark right after my post so I take it that you are referring to me.

I don't claim to be an expert at anything, I'm still learning new things every day. I do share my experience on the forums, as does everyone else.

As far as you being stupid, I never said or implied that you, or anyone else is stupid. I don't know any of you from Adam, and I am not qualified to make such judgements.

I do know my own tendencies and those of the many riders that I have rode with over the years. I have made many observations that have helped me become a better, and safer rider as well. I took a Superbike Weekend track class many years ago when they first started offering them, and the motorcycle safety course just for the fun of it (plus the insurance discount didn't hurt either...lol). It's amazing how many bad habits I had developed over the years, but I have learned from all these things.

Anything that I said that may of offended you or anyone else, was certainly not meant to. I merely want to share my experiences, not expertise. If I, or anyone else can gain any helpful hints on these forums, it's a good thing I would think.

Respectfully.

Mark Arnold
I hope you are not expecting a response?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a VN2000 , but boy o' boy , you guys are making me wonder with all this talk of noise and clunkiness ! Such roughness seems to indicate a lack of engineering diligence , no ? Especially considering how quiet and smooth Honda's VTX1800 is . How many miles will a well-maintained VN2000 go before needing rebuilding to some degree ? Honda cruisers of any size -- hell , even their sportbikes -- are good for 100,000+ miles easy .

Btw , I wouldn't recommend not letting off the throttle between shifts on any bike , and certainly not a bike such as the V2K with its massive torque a corresponding heavy gear-set...unless of course you're using an electronic quick shifter !:)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm considering the purchase of a VN2000 , but boy o' boy , you guys are making me wonder with all this talk of noise and clunkiness ! Such roughness seems to indicate a lack of engineering diligence , no ? Especially considering how quiet and smooth Honda's VTX1800 is . How many miles will a well-maintained VN2000 go before needing rebuilding to some degree ? Honda cruisers of any size -- hell , even their sportbikes -- are good for 100,000+ miles easy .

Btw , I wouldn't recommend not letting off the throttle between shifts on any bike , and certainly not a bike such as the V2K with its massive torque a corresponding heavy gear-set...unless of course you're using an electronic quick shifter !:)
I'm thinking that theses bike have monster gear clusters?
And with that much mass anything but a perfect rpm match for speed will deliver a clunk, it shifts very positive but the only shift I can make with little or no clunk is the 1-2 shift. Another thing is the rpm drop between gears which says to me that it has wide ratios between gears. My 2000 makes no noise outside of this clunk that many bikes make. It has what seems to be a very good tranny. It develops mucho torque, at the tune of about 150 foot lbs.
The clutch must be huge also which brings up the fact that it is operated by a cable, would not have been my choice.
It shifts way better than my 08 M109 did, which is why I sold it.
I like the 2000Lt a lot, it is a very big bike that handles like a bike that is much lighter to me.
It should last a long time, Kawasaki like most manufactures now days know what they are doing. IMO

·
Registered
43 Posts

I agree with Gabriel

"It should last a long time, Kawasaki like most manufactures now days know what they are doing."

As far as shifting without letting off, I am talking about a very leisurely take off with slow acceleration, at very low throttle position. It will surprise you, once the load has been removed the engine does not race, it will actually drop in RPM slightly due to the vacuum properties of fuel injection. That's why I said it is different with carbed bike, and can be different with different type of carbs, such as CV carbs.

Sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm almost sure that my next bike will be the V2K for a number of reasons , but unfortunately I won't be able to ride one (or even hear one) before buying b/c they're quite rare around these parts ; so I'll be shipping one from a couple of 1000 km away . You have to take a chance sometimes . I just hope the engine isn't noisy like a Harley that's all . Clunking when shifting , especially 1st to 2nd , is often normal as most bikes do this including my Hondas . I have confidence in Kawasaki engineering even though they obviously had a challenge in keeping 2053cc of thumping twin civilized and quiet . The cable clutch is apparently excellent as evidenced by a test article I read in which the rider actually did wheelies with no immediate ill effects ! Regarding the power-shifting , it's just not a good idea unless you don't care about the bike and/or you just have to win the drag race .

I agree with you about the shifting of the M109 which I rode recently at a demo day ; very notchy but nevertheless positive in engagement . I must say though that the M109R was probably the most fun I've ever had riding a cruiser , with its ravenous appetite for revs as it blasted from 5000 to 7500 rpm in a flash . It felt almost like my RC-51...almost . So why don't I get the Suzuki instead of the Kawy if I enjoyed it so much ? Too much plastic , wimpy dual-pin crank sound , no maintenance-free hydraulic valves , and the fact that the V2K has the largest production V-twin on the planet (call me shallow) .

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm almost sure that my next bike will be the V2K for a number of reasons , but unfortunately I won't be able to ride one (or even hear one) before buying b/c they're quite rare around these parts ; so I'll be shipping one from a couple of 1000 km away . You have to take a chance sometimes . I just hope the engine isn't noisy like a Harley that's all . Clunking when shifting , especially 1st to 2nd , is often normal as most bikes do this including my Hondas . I have confidence in Kawasaki engineering even though they obviously had a challenge in keeping 2053cc of thumping twin civilized and quiet . The cable clutch is apparently excellent as evidenced by a test article I read in which the rider actually did wheelies with no immediate ill effects ! Regarding the power-shifting , it's just not a good idea unless you don't care about the bike and/or you just have to win the drag race .

I agree with you about the shifting of the M109 which I rode recently at a demo day ; very notchy but nevertheless positive in engagement . I must say though that the M109R was probably the most fun I've ever had riding a cruiser , with its ravenous appetite for revs as it blasted from 5000 to 7500 rpm in a flash . It felt almost like my RC-51...almost . So why don't I get the Suzuki instead of the Kawy if I enjoyed it so much ? Too much plastic , wimpy dual-pin crank sound , no maintenance-free hydraulic valves , and the fact that the V2K has the largest production V-twin on the planet (call me shallow) .
There has been more than 1 M109 lunch the tranny, it is a known fact they have had some trouble with them and not wanting to fix them under warranty due to abuse. (what the factory said)
I did not like the sound either, i had the limited yellow with white stripe. They look good and have some pep(for a cruiser). I came off a stretched Busa so I did not notice that but it is faster than the 2000 I think? All these cruisers are slow to me. But the driveability is better and one heck of a lot more comfortable.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Oh no doubt , these so-called mega-criusers are slow compared to a sportbike ; my RC and certainly a 'busa would leave even the 109 for dead , but , as you mention , for such a heavy and comfortable bike , both the V2K and 109 are quick . I will never sell my RC-51 , and will always own a cruiser so that my wife can ride with me . It's just that my 03 Honda ACE 750 is a little boring . I want more lunge and the Kawy has plenty even though the Suzuki is faster . The yellow/white was the one I was considering ; very flashy . Later , time to ride again...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts