Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This is my forst post and I wish all of you all the best.

I will purchase an VN2000 in the next future (curently I own an VN800A1) and I have a question please :
Does somebody put an chopper kit on his VN2000 ? Raked triple tree and longer tubes ? I think the VN2000 will look perfect with the chopper kit.
How about the strength of the frame, will this be weaker ?
I have asked few builders of these kits, but they do not produce chopper kits for VN2000.

Thanks for answer
Marcel

·
Registered
24 Posts
The only true chopper conversion of the VN2000 I've seen is the one built by COBRA a few years ago , but I don't think they're selling it as a kit . It's a beautiful bike with the rad placed under the seat !

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
cheap chops are a slammed dunk

just how much moola are we talking here?

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for answers, I think I forgot to tell you that I'm from Romania, Europe.:)

here we have the "http://www.chopper-kit.co.uk" in Germany, they are making chopper kits for serial bikes, but so far not for VN2000. I contact them and told me to fill an data sheet with the dimensions of the stock triple tree and fork for VN2000 => after that they can build for me an chopper kit. but I would prefer to do not be the first guy with chopper kit for VN2000, from this company :).

price is around 1500 - 1800 euro.

·
Registered
319 Posts
chopper

just how much moola are we talking here?
Ponch, most of the so called "choppers" run the Britt kit $3000 or Stephen Garrett Design, which was also called Texas Metrics. They had the ultimate kit. Raked Tripple tree($550), Wide 300 tire swing arm kit($700), then the fender kit $350. I think they sold their fender molds to Barrons. Heres alink to the Texas Metrics article. http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/custom/kawasaki_vulcan_2000_custom/index.html
There also is another company that makes a 5 degree raked tree for the V2K, it sells for $1200

·
Registered
24 Posts
The first pic in Poncho's post is the chopper built by Denny Berg of COBRA . WOW ! There was a full article on it in CycleWorld magazine a few years ago . It's bada$$ IMO .

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Chop Shop

The first pic in Poncho's post is the chopper built by Denny Berg of COBRA . WOW ! There was a full article on it in CycleWorld magazine a few years ago . It's bada$$ IMO .
chop'en at the bit are ya?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Chop Suey

Orange ya glad ya didn't say apple?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
bear with me

bad, bad, bad, bad bear... makes you feel so good?

·
Registered
24 Posts
HeeHee , thanks for the pics Poncho . Imagine riding up to a Harley meet with that bad boy ?! A stock V2K makes the choir turn their backs , this work of art would make them huff and puff all the way home .

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
dang there Leroy, been fooled again.

HeeHee , thanks for the pics Poncho . Imagine riding up to a Harley meet with that bad boy ?! A stock V2K makes the choir turn their backs , this work of art would make them huff and puff all the way home .
the only thing that the "fambly" approves of is that with the offishal "hardley" label. no matter how great a skoot you ride in on, if it don't say "hardley" it aint worth droolin over. This is cuz they need you to validate their investment in "hardley stock" and all the chrome to cover up the farmgrade fasteners. So, you pretty much have to fool em into thinkin that this is one of thier cousins they aint laid eyes upon yet. Then they start to droolin and inspectin all the coolness of yer gettyup. After a while one of them tarbrains will finally ask, "what kind of skoot'r is this, or who makes this?" then you go and toss a handgrenade into the mix when you fess up that its a japjob. At that moment you lose your audience as they go thru physical contortions, body language of dissapproval, as they feel that they'v been hoodwinked into thinkin this was the real thing. their drool turns to spit as they dont know what to do with it. You can expect this very next question, "why dont you buy yerself a real motorcycle, a hardley ableson?"
and your response is... ? Smile, fire it up and ride away is the more better one. out, ponch
ps. now dont go gettin yer nose all bent outa shape. I own and ride lots of these hd skooters and ride with the "fambly". If I say so its because I live with these bums.

·
Registered
24 Posts
^ Hear ya . I actually like the Porsche VRod but wouldn't buy one b/c I don't want to support a company that values image over technology . I think a street version of the VR1000 Superbike would have sold well (even though it was unsuccessful on the track) but the corporate weasels weren't interested in taking a chance and killed it along with HD's road-racing effort . Btw , if only the choir knew how many "Jap" parts are on their 'merican cycles .

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have often asked why Kawasaki did not release a custom version of this bike. They are not a big seller here in Australia and I have the only one sold in my area in 6 years. A lot of blokes I have spoken to have said if a custom version came out a lot of garages would have one and the family car would be sitting in the driveway. Now I just have to pick my tongue up off the floor after that lot of pics.

Cheers and Beers.

Bob

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
I have often asked why Kawasaki did not release a custom version of this bike. They are not a big seller here in Australia and I have the only one sold in my area in 6 years. A lot of blokes I have spoken to have said if a custom version came out a lot of garages would have one and the family car would be sitting in the driveway. Now I just have to pick my tongue up off the floor after that lot of pics. Cheers and Beers. Bob
well, bob... thats why they call them customs. there be only one of the buggers. Its your n mine job to make them so. If'n the factory where (able) to do it, then they'd just be another cookie cutter bike like your neighbor has in his garage. nothin too special, me thinks.
Honda has some cahonies and can do this. but even they dont always score big. Thier new chop Fury is only 1300. whats up with that? and that really cool Rune was just too much monie for a look alike bike.
hardley tries some factory customs, but they want your first born.. and its still just a hardley under the fancy paint.
So, I am throwing down the gauntlet. Lets see what you can do with that blank canvas you got sitting in your garage. out, ponch

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have discussed with AME company (from Germany), and they told me no chopper kits for VN2000 because of no orders (to less owners of v2k).
They proposed to me an chopper kit from HD that match to the VN2000, but the fork tubes are not exactly the same, means I have to buy also the fork legs => and because the fork legs, I have to buy also the wheel and brake all from the same HD chopper kit, and in this case will cost too much !!
Only raked tripple tree and longer fork tubes cost for around 1500 euro for an average chopper kit.
Also the diameter of the stock fork tubes V2K is 49 mm, and the proposal from HD has 41 mm ... they told me that they are using this kit for the heavy bikes HD and is no problem that the forks to broke when riding ...
V2K has 340 kg, little bit more that a harley ...

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
never sell your ol stand bye to your buddy... else you get this

marcman, custom means diff'rent things to diff'rent folks. depends how far you want to push the envelope... the money envelope. Some guys just take the stock motor and frame/forks and tins and do a nice job of "blinging" them out. Then their are those who want a "real chopper". It all starts with the motor. You decide how much bike to retain. There be plenty of rolling chassis kits for reasonable cheap, yes they are Hardley Motor based, complete kits for reasonable. You have to get your torch out and modify the mounts to accept this Yap Injun. Then add all the shiney bling to bring out the custom that is in your head.
Or.... you can take the stock rig and strip it back to basics and build you a badass "ratmobile". Helping your buddy rat out your old bike can be fun. who's buying the beer?
41mm forks and trees are standard hd sizing and have been in service since...forever. plenty to go around for reasonable cheap. 49mm is the new size hd is using on their dark customs, vrods, dyna's 'cetera. There is/will be more of this stuff coming to market soon. or you could try and use stock hardley 49's from discounters.
chops are all in your head and your wallet. thats why they tend to be only "one ofs". out, ponch

1 - 20 of 38 Posts