Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am a new member and am learning a lot about vulcans here.
Just purchased a 2010 VN 1700 classic and was not super happy till I change the piper for VH ones.
With the VH pipes I add the Cobra Fi 2000r, but am not happy at all with the throttle response specially at low rpm (<2500) or with the popping. Have changed the setting so many times and noticing no difference at all.
I know a lot of people have the same question. Does the new (not so new) cobra powrpro is better, or dynojet power command with or without autotune?
Thanks everyone:confused::confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Everything is in the settings of the fuel controller. Even with the PowerPro you might have to adjust it (I had to set mine). Once the base adjustment is done it is "auto-tune).

I don't have a 2000r, so I can't help you, but hang in there I'm sure it can be worked out.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
Everything is in the settings of the fuel controller. Even with the PowerPro you might have to adjust it (I had to set mine). Once the base adjustment is done it is "auto-tune).

I don't have a 2000r, so I can't help you, but hang in there I'm sure it can be worked out.
You have the auto tune?? Like it?

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
You have the auto tune?? Like it?
My Classic has an Cobra auto tune, the Voyager has a PCV. I don't have any issues with either of them, both seem to work fine. Note that I have very few miles on both bikes since the installs were done.

The PCV has a LOT more options/adjustments. The settings seem to make sense and were not hard to understand. The ignition version was easier to install than I expected. Quality is very good.

The Cobra PowerPro has almost no options (one small adjustment screw on the inside) and required some playing with to correct a small hesitation on light acceleration. Once adjusted, no issues.

·
Premium Member
419 Posts
Hi everyone. I am a new member and am learning a lot about vulcans here.
Just purchased a 2010 VN 1700 classic and was not super happy till I change the piper for VH ones.
With the VH pipes I add the Cobra Fi 2000r, but am not happy at all with the throttle response specially at low rpm (<2500) or with the popping. Have changed the setting so many times and noticing no difference at all.
I know a lot of people have the same question. Does the new (not so new) cobra powrpro is better, or dynojet power command with or without autotune?
Thanks everyone:confused::confused::confused:
Here You are, just what you need.
http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049897&postcount=4

Shep

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Check for exhaust leaks. If you have not done so already, you need to plug the PAIR valve hose that is located at the 11 o'clock position behind the rightside dog bowl throttle body cover. That hose sucks fresh air that is then injected into the exhaust system to burn any residual fuel, thus the popping out of the muffler. Sounds sort of like a backfire. Blocking the tube will not do any damage to the motor. It may eliminate or at least minimize any decel popping you may be hearing.

As far as the processor I have the EJK and I am very happy with its adjustability and the service I get from Dobeck Performance. I have little popping on decel. I am working with Dobeck on a custom map to eliminate it totally.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Recently added FPE 2into 1. Lots of decel pop. Bought the cobra fi2000 it was an epic failure. I hear some success stories but definately not my experience. The dealer returned the cobra unit and I got the PCV added a map fromDavid Sheek (oneof the members here) blocked the pair valve hose and the pop is pretty much gone. I get one occasionally but not often enough to consider a tweak.
Ride safe,
Jimmy D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recently added FPE 2into 1. Lots of decel pop. Bought the cobra fi2000 it was an epic failure. I hear some success stories but definately not my experience. The dealer returned the cobra unit and I got the PCV added a map fromDavid Sheek (oneof the members here) blocked the pair valve hose and the pop is pretty much gone. I get one occasionally but not often enough to consider a tweak.
Ride safe,
Jimmy D
Jimmy, which exhaust do you have?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check for exhaust leaks. If you have not done so already, you need to plug the PAIR valve hose that is located at the 11 o'clock position behind the rightside dog bowl throttle body cover. That hose sucks fresh air that is then injected into the exhaust system to burn any residual fuel, thus the popping out of the muffler. Sounds sort of like a backfire. Blocking the tube will not do any damage to the motor. It may eliminate or at least minimize any decel popping you may be hearing.

As far as the processor I have the EJK and I am very happy with its adjustability and the service I get from Dobeck Performance. I have little popping on decel. I am working with Dobeck on a custom map to eliminate it totally.
Thanks Hockeynut52
I just add a thunder air kit with stock cover. The kit comes with a red cap which does that. The performance has significantly improved, and I have less popping and backfiring, but still present.
What is really driving me nuts is the hesitation the bike has between 1000 and 3000 rpm. Seams to happen more after the bike is warm. Almost look like old carburetor been flooded.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have freedom performance combat 2into 1

·
Registered
702 Posts
The 1700 line is known for poor throttle response and popping. Do a hard search on the forum to learn more about 'throttle mod' and 'Thunder gasket' for a fix.

·
Registered
281 Posts
How can you check for exhaust leaks?
Start the bike and use insence or a cigarette if you smoke. Hold the smoke source next to the flanges that attach the header pipes to the motor. If you see the smoke get sucked in or blown around you have an exhaust leak. Same goes for the points where the mufflers attach to the head pipes down by the rear wheel. Re tourqe them after a few heat cycles. They can sometimes work loose with the vibes of the bike. My .02 cents

·
Registered
281 Posts
The 1700 line is known for poor throttle response and popping. Do a hard search on the forum to learn more about 'throttle mod' and 'Thunder gasket' for a fix.
I corrected the throttle response with the RacnRay throttle mod. I am currently working with Dobeck Performance to tune out my decel pop with the fuel processor. I have gotten rid of at least 98% of the popping. I think a few more tweaks and I will be done.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I kinda figured the smoke would be the easiest way to see. I tried that but when i did the fan came on and i didnt get an accurate reading.
Lol yeah that will happen. Try it when the bike is first started up. It will take a while for it to reach temps that the fan will kick on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts