Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Radio will not turn on when pressing power button. Kawasaki only displays. they want $:mad:1500.00 for a replacement radio. have found them on ebay but according to Kawasaki each year is not interchangible. the 2010 has a 21179-0002 and the 2013 uses a 21179-0056.

anyone else have this issue or have any ideals. there are no aftermarket radio's for the vulcan voyager that I have found.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Am I mistaken or is there not a fuse under the seat for the radio. I had the one little fuse box open the other day and I could swear there was one each for headlight, acc, radio in the one little fuse box........I could be wrong tho

·
Registered
547 Posts
Before i would spend $1500 on a radio I would put an amp with aux input and go with an ipod or MP3 player. I only use the AUX input on mine and have an ipod nano running through it now.

Kawasaki is ridiculous borderline criminal with the spare parts pricing. The silly stubby antenna is over $100...

The one glaring weakness I see with these bikes.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I think I'd be either taking the head unit to a little Mom & Pop electronics store to see if they can find the problem - or keeping a watch on EBay for a used replacement?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thankfully I'm having mine replaced under warranty. I have everything except sound from mine, stations, volume control, everything. If it wasn't under warranty I'd be replacing it with an after market unit.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
Yep... after warranty I would go to a custom sound shop and see what they can install after I cut the radio out of the dash with a chain saw....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if radio goes bad your just screwed

pulled the radio out today to see how I could put in an after market radio. everything is pinned from the harness connection so anything I get will require speaker hookup modifications. I did pin the harness out and know which wires to use. even called the company who makes this piece of crap.... they do not deal with customers direct only dealers. will not buy another Kawasaki again, I even called them and was told you can not interchange years because they made pin changes to prevent using different year radios on the wrong year bike. so be aware on ebay........ these guys are posting 21179-0056 and saying they will fit in any voyager...not so per Kawasaki. made sure I did my research first since there is no returns on any of these radios!!! Probably switch to a Harley, these seem to have the only retro kits on the market.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
The President of my Blue Knights Chapter is going through the very same thing you are with his Harley radio. Just out of warranty. He said he could send it off to be fixed for a little over 500 bucks... or a new one for 1700 bucks... But he had options on Ebay that us Voyager owners do not have..... more of them out there....

If you could find a radio that could actually fit the cavity... and do not care about a CB. I never used the last scoots CB or want to on the Voyager and do not have or want an Ipod, re-wiring the speakers to it should not be a problem. You could get a radio that not only works with Ipods, but bluetooth to work with GPS and cell phone....

I kept hoping the radio would quit on my Venture (it really sucked) so I could put one in where the cassette player was with a 5 inch pop out screen so I could watch movies...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
installed aftermarket radio

Bought a Sony Marine radio that is compatible with a motorcycle. Sounds 1000 times better than the crap one that broke. Now I have bluetooth, 2 usb connections, sirus, cd player, phone thru radio!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
That certainly looks good. Good to know it can be done........

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bought a Sony Marine radio that is compatible with a motorcycle. Sounds 1000 times better than the crap one that broke. Now I have bluetooth, 2 usb connections, sirus, cd player, phone thru radio!
Can you control the radio with the handle bar controls?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Many of the marine /boat radios have remotes and can be mounted on the bars. Both wired and wireless. I had a JBL with wireless remote on my Kingpin.

Could adjust volume, station and had a mute. What you lose is speed sense for volume. I'll grab a pic next time I see my kingpin.

Gary

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
I would assume you cannot use the handlebar mounted radio controls with any after market radio. They are proprietary to the Kawai radio. At least the Goldwing and Venture I had was that way. But that was before the current do anything electronics we have today.

The only radio control I use is the volume anyway. I never change radio stations and ride with the volume off a lot too.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the steering wheel control module. It allows a harley to use its handle bar control. It requires cutting wires which I did not want to do at this time. Radio came with a hand held remote and you can download sony's app and control everything from it. To make the pace insert I got a sheet of white plastic poly and traced out the face of the old one. Cut and panted. No mods required of the mounting frame. Radio holes lined up perfect. Just had to map out the wires. Can forward that info to anyone who needs it:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts