Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a vn1600 classic great reliable bike... until a week ago. I noticed a Very strong fuel smell, but I couldnt find any leaks. The smell got pretty bad, so I decided to start looking for the source. I removed the seat and noticed that there are 2 welded on tabs which uses 2 12 inch bolts to secure the tank to the bike. The left tab was visibly wet and smelled of gas, but I still couldn't find exactly where the gas was draining into. I unlocked and removed the left side cover and there was a pool of gas inside that cover. I immediately unhooked the battery cables to prevent a fire or even explosion. Has anyone with a VN1600 classic experienced this with a year other than a 2003? Mine is a 2006. Upon doing research on this issue there is ONLY a recall on the 2003's! Which is really DUMB as the 2003, 2006 and i'm sure other years have the same EXACT gas tank construction. Any info will be appriciated, TIA.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I had a 2006 Classic and had the exact same problem. It was faulty welds under the tank covered under a recall. Got a new tank for free. Call your dealer and explain your problem and ask about the recall.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an 2003 but haven't seen anything. But it is diff something to look into.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have a 2006 nomad that had the same issue. I used some JB weld from autozone to patch the area at the tab. That fixed the problem. I did not know about the recall at the time but I have heard from others that they still can get a new tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts