Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I recently did Thunder MFG. Double Diaphragm spring job to my 1999 Vn1500 (with an 04 1500 engine). The Clutch feels better than it ever has. However, My Clutch Handle pressure is not quite right. I have to depress the lever all the way to the grip to get it to release which isn't really a problem, but it feels like it isn't fully disengaged. Every now and then it will even pull forward slowly. I realize that there is no adjusting the hydraulic clutch. But I have been trying to find info on the JUDGES washers. I have been told that they would give me the adjustment I'm looking for. Any info would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't "Race" or "abuse" mine either but my Spring wore out. So I replaced it with what is supposed to be the strongest upgrade available. Never go back with stock.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm pretty sure he would need the Mean Streak spring as well...But he said his clutch was working good after his upgrade...the judge washers and mean streak spring mod is for a slipping clutch...He hasn't said if he flushed his clutch system after is up grade...Air in his system may be his problem...bad fluid...wrong engine oil can also cause issues with the clutch...need some more info at this point I think...?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I flushed the whole clutch system when I put the clutch back together. All new Fluid. And I am using the Proper engine oil. That is not the issue. The Clutch is working great now. The Problem I'm having is My lever. It engages and disengages right at the Hand grip. I have less than 1/4" of travel distance from the grip between Full disengage and Full engage. I am looking for a way to get more room in my lever action, so that its easier to hold in traffic and on hills and stuff. I have already ordered the Judges Washers. Thanks for the info. One of my VN2000 buddies sent me the link. I called Thunder MFG and they said that this is a common complaint after Upgrading the 1500 clutch and that the Judges washers should do the trick. I was hoping that Someone else here in the 1500 section Had done the Thunder MFG upgrade and I could hear their opinions or story on what happened. But apparently not may people here are doing it anymore.

·
Registered
252 Posts
If they told you that many others has reported the same problem...maybe they should stop taking peoples money...I'm glad I didn't come acrossed it when I started looking for a fix for my slipping clutch...I found the gadget page and the mean streak spring fix for my classic...most of the posts all mentioned the gadget info...So I figured they all can't be wrong...So tell me...did you have to send them your old parts so you could get your money back for that core charge in the link...? I understand a core charge for some rebuild-able parts...but those parts...????? Good Luck

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thunder does good work, and the clutch should be good to around 100 foot pounds of tq. One of their shop bikes dynos in a lot 138hp and 100lbs. And has been running fine for a long time. I realize that this little engine isn't a power house. But the stock clutch set up still isn't enough. And I have a 1600 meany that needs a new spring. If I can get this one lined out I'll look into upgrading it next. But may have to go a different route than this one. Lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts