Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Meanstreak with 29,000 miles. I bought this bike from a dealer 4 months ago and I am very happy with it. However, I have now noticed that after a run, there is a small spot of oil under the bike which is coming from an overflow rubber tube. The rubber tube is attached to the upper crank case next to the water pump. I believe that this is an over flow from the water pump to allow coolant out in the event of the outer pump seal failing and as I have a drop of oil from this tube it may indicate that the inner pump seal may be beginning to fail. I've researched this on line and the info is not good, as it may require splitting the crank case and a bottom end re-build. Can anyone confirm that this rubber tube is in fact what I think it is? I could return the bike to the dealer to be repaired as it is still under warranty, although I am not happy about having this work done as I've only done 400 miles on the bike since I bought it due to bad weather. The dealer is very slow and the bike could be in their shop for months and I want to ride. I am considering trading the bike back to the dealer for another bike. What do you guys think? I'm attaching a photo of the rubber tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks like in the manual, that that is the water pump overflow. if the mechanical seal leaks, there should be water out of that hose.

Manual says, that the mechanical seal can be replaced. No crankcase split required. I have the 2003 classic Fi manual, I do not have the meanstreak manual, but the motors are pretty much the same engine with some performance improvement differences.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. If the leak was water/coolant the mechanical seal could be replaced. BUT, my leak is oil which means the inner seal is failing. That requires the crank case to be split in order to repair the inner seal. I'm seriously pissed as I've only done 400 miles on the bike since I bought it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts