Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I'm installing the Avon heated grips on my Vulcan 900 Custom. I don't know much about electricity or wiring, so... Here's a question to all my electrical Savvy guys. Part of the instructions say: "Connect the black wire from the controller to the black wire in the cable that will supply the 12V power"... The pic shows it just going to a negative (-). 1st question: CAN I hook it up to ANY ground and be good? Or do I need to hook it up to any of the cables that show in the pic I attached?
Question 2: Where should I attach the Positive side of the grip connector for 12V? The battery? The headlamp (if so, which wire)? Or where the Pic I attached shows? I'm more inclined to do it to one of the wires in the pic... problem is, I dont know which one. So, if you please take a look at the pic, please let me know which one is Positive and Negative (and if it's a good Idea to hook em up there) or if I should hook em up somewhere else. (I know Black is - and Red is +, but there's two sets and I don't know which one). ANY TIPS will be RIDICULOUSLY appreciated! THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Attachments

·
Registered
607 Posts
You want to stay away from the coils in your picture. You have accessory wiring under the seat and in the headlight can (positive and negative wires). I'm not sure if that is battery or ignition on the 900 - one of the 900 owners can help on this. If it's battery (hot all the time), you will want to install a relay that turns on with the ignition so you don't run the battery down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Staying away from the coils!

Well, that is definitely good to know! I was just going by what the instructions were saying and that's what I thought it was talking about. Well, any clue on what wires to hook it up to the headlamp? I wouldn't mind if it hooks up to the same cable that powers the headlight beam (which kicks in after it starts of course), I just don't know whic ones that would be. Thank you so much again for the input!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the wife and I are going to take the bucket list ride to Canada. And believe it or not, it does get cold by San Francisco. I figured it would be better to have it than not (on my long distance cruiser at least). Thanks for the tip.:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts